Forum guide : How to quote a post from a locked thread

cigma

I saw some of you guys here can't link a quote from a locked thread. Yes it's obviously utmost impossible because if a thread is locked, there is no "quote" button available. But yes, this is possible. This may be useful to prove that the quote is truly mentioned by someone, and has a link referenced to the original post. I'd like to share my knowledge. 

Note: Your forum time should be the same as your country's timeline. If you haven't set it yet, go to the navigation bar >> Profile >> Modify Profile >> Look and Layout . Then set the time offset to auto detect.

Here are the steps:

1. Use the usual reply button at the bottom of the thread to . . well comment at the post you're about to reply.

2. We will type the quote codes manually, since it's unavailable. The code for quote is:

[quote name="<Name>" post="867039" timestamp="1407239953"][/quote]

3. In a new tab, select the post you would like to link. in that case, I'll take an example of my post from a locked thread, Control Points.

And the overpopulated faction wins. Its obviously

the . . . . . .

4. Click the "RE:" as shown here :

image.jpg

After that, you'll have the link at your address bar: 

image.jpg

Copy the highlighted text and now we have the

If we're going to do what we have so far, we will have :

[quote author=Cigma link=topic=112886.msg867039#msg867039][/quote]

But that alone won't work. We still need to fill the so,

5. So as for the date, it is written in a Unix TIMESTAMP format. But that's easy, first we should get the date from the post. So, in my example the date and time of post is

05 August 2014, 19:59:13.

We can convert it in Unix timestamp in www.epochconverter.comFrom there, we'll put the date we want to be converted. We should set the GMT to Local time. After clicking the human date to timestamp button, we will get te 10 digit number.

6. Assemble what we've done. I got mine as

[quote author=Cigma link=topic=112886.msg867039#msg867039 date=1407239953][/quote]

And that's it ! We now have correct quote with link from a locked topic. But please be careful not to use the power of quotes to bear false statements as Exsodus stated:

Read the forum rules.Changing someone quote is not allowed,even for a joke.

Thank you very much! I needed that! :friends: :give_rose:

I always knew how to write everything except the date, it was weird, you helped me and many others a lot, TYVVVVVVVVVVVM! :clapping: :) :give_rose:

BTW, please fix the "epoch converter" link, please.

Edit(17:32:18 by Cigma):

Still not working.

Edit(17:39:31 by Cigma):

Worked, tyvm again! :give_rose:

PS: I would like to create a video but my phone doesn't permit me. If something sounds Greek to you, I'll be happy to help. Just please point the specific. And by the way, there shouldn't be any spaces inside the quote code, except for the separation of name, link and date so be careful with that.

PS: I would like to create a video but my phone doesn't permit me. If something sounds Greek to you, I'll be happy to help. Just please point the specific. And by the way, there shouldn't be any spaces inside the quote code, except for the separation of name, link and date so be careful with that.

Man, you're really awesome!

An example 8) :

r0land, Oh, awesome! :give_rose:

Thanks roley

• 2 weeks later...