how does the stat pentration work

Armand Whitehouse

Hello so I'm a relatively new player but I have a fairly good idea on how things work in this game so far I'm LVL 18 I play warlock and I had a question about the stat penetraition which "reduces the effectiveness of enemies armor" my question about this is does it only apply to physical armor or does it apply to both magical and physical.

If so what is the percentage needed for it to be effective how useful is it truly as in vpve it seems like it would be good for dealing damage to boss monsters in pvp in wondering about its use for harming other enemy players as I am coming up with the idea for s war lock build that focuses on dealing alot of heavy magic damage using the skill sphere. My thought is if pentration works for both physical and magical then sphere, hex and all the other useful spells a warlock has will do alot more damage then if I just focused on building crit and life steal. While those are good things to build into I want to see if I can focus a bit more on dealing magic damage using dark pool and other skills as dark pool as an aoe is extremely crucial when fighting in world pvp which revolves around in swarming the enemy and heavy use of aoes.

I think it works on all defense types.

But I too don't understand it yet.

E.g.:

20% penetration = 50% (enemy deff) - 20% pene = 30% deff

or

20% penetration = 5k [50%] (enemy deff) -20% pene [5000 ÷ 100x20] = 4k deff

the percentage of the given deff is just an example, assuming its probably not

accurate : D nvm, which way does it work?

Hmm interesting... I was told resilience is a stat that counters penetration however I have not yet tested it. resilence is only really used on pvp gear and doesn't really apply much to pve considering this is a fact penetration could be very helpful to put on gear other fact to consider is how often you hit someone then miss them factoring in dodge rate, parry and so on..

But other thing to look into is does a high penetraition get affected by those stats as well or does it mean on a certain chance you hit someone it gives a higher chance to crit or hit them as if they had no armor on level probably also applied to this stat...but we again its unknown if the armor thats affected is physical and magical or just physical I wish someone had more info on this as it would be important and helpful to know which armor is getting affected and if it's affected by dodge rating parry and so on. If it works the way I'm thinking it does I can barely begin to imagine the chaos this stat would do if put on gear and equipment for casters or meele type classes. Problem is not much info is available and if someone knows exactly how it works sharing here would be appreciated.

Edit the account that posted this I have gotten locked out of but anyways not eon this topic seems Roland posted something about how penetratiom works but it's not quite clear with how he worded it nor very useful any one have any new info on this?

This is what Roland said in a frequently asked questions on the stat however it is vague and still does not answer the question on how penetraition works as a stat.

Q: How is penetrations effect on Def counted?

A: There is pretty complicated formula. More penetration - less damage will be absorbed.