Builds after the patch

bramm

Damage with FOJ and attack speed of 2.1 was quite fair coz we can never kill a healer even if he dosen't kite given such low damage. Not all can amp to +8 +9 so make it fair for paladins, am already begining to loose interest in my paladin coz low attak a lv14 bd has higher damage than a lv15 lv16 paladin and also he hits faster 2.0 seconds :facepalm:we have lower hp than compared to a barberian and they can easily catch the ones kiting them with their charge and DK have two skill to restrict you from using any skill on them plus they pull the enemy

Damage with FOJ and attack speed of 2.1 was quite fair coz we can never kill a healer even if he dosen't kite given such low damage. Not all can amp to +8 +9 so make it fair for paladins, am already begining to loose interest in my paladin coz low attak a lv14 bd has higher damage than a lv15 lv16 paladin and also he hits faster 2.0 seconds :facepalm:we have lower hp than compared to a barberian and they can easily catch the ones kiting them with their charge and DK have two skill to restrict you from using any skill on them plus they pull the enemy

Paladins are more of a Party Support units i think.

They can go into other roles, but they need a lot of work.

I currently have set Berengar Revenge, Endurance and Guards, because i'll be a multi-role paladin. Visit my topic in paladin section to get the idea xd

• 3 weeks later...

I go ( purify 5, foj 5, heal 5 ).

Very true. We paladins are out matched in many ways when it comes to pvp. But I will say that if you use foj 2x and heal 2x in 1 pvp fight you will have an equal chance at winning. Foj has many attributes. Paladin class is all about mixing spells.

How much can aura boost heal at lv5 idk coz my aura is still lv1 :blush:

I think its around25%. I heal around 200 without aura, but with lv5 aura i heal almost 250.

bramm is your 960 heal a critical heal? And I've seen you stack astral so much that you even gave up the damage crystal in your mace and used astral instead. In 5x5 if you are targeted you will be crushed you cant take the attack of 2-3 players and if you are the one who is left over and other guy is taking the damage you should make sure you cause enough damage in the mean time he dies, so I use 2h axe and gave up heal and going to higher aura and foj so I could help my party. and as daxter said I would also try the revenge set to get higher critics. Just my thought and am developing still so suggest me plz

bramm is your 960 heal a critical heal? yes with aura minimum is 460 And I've seen you stack astral so much that you even gave up the damage crystal in your mace and used astral instead.yes astral adds damage to foj secondary damage and increases my heal consider it reassigning some damage from your 2 hand attack into heal power. In 5x5 if you are targeted you will be crushed you cant take the attack of 2-3 players no one can without bubbles heals or similar support. if you are the one who is left over and other guy is taking the damage you should make sure you cause enough damage in the mean time he dies,or.. this is crazy.. I foj interupting his attacker stack on a the purify dot then cast a heal on my partner thus preventing him from dying at all because our combined damage compared to their combined damage with all else being equal should be reducing both life bars at the same rate of speed so by healing him  I allow him to survive being focused and then we gain a two to one advantage. so I use 2h axe and gave up heal and going to higher aura and foj so I could help my party. and as daxter said I would also try the revenge set to get higher critics. Just my thought and am developing still so suggest me plz a lot of people are doing that and its a badass build with big old crits good cc and a armor penetration for folks with high armor. go for it.

or make a barbarian and do it better,

or a blade dancer and do it better

or if your gonna focus on being dps elf side make an archer or a mage. those guys have way better damage and theyre ranged.

I get it it it kills faster and easier. but to me If i were to go for big damage I would go all out for big damage and not bother with a paladin.

the problem I have with damage based characters of any class is the lack of options. if youre damage focused you have one tactic for any and all situations.

I am searching for that perfect well rounded balance that makes a paladin unique. I am searching for the universally usefull it is the only character in the game with heal , tank, and cc capabilities. I'm not looking for the "best" answer to a specific problem. Im looking for the "most" answers to apply to all problems.

tank? yes got it.not the best but I will do because I can enhance heals and heal myself as well.

damage? yes 299 damage plus enhanced astral with crits up to 900 theres way higher out there but I still have teeth.

heals? 5 aura buffs the shit out of any healers in the party and I can heal myself and act as a secondary healer OR if there is another paladin in the party we pretty much have a decent healer between the two of us.

No time to party? I can solo hunt like no bodies business. never stop to regen, I can tank mini bosses without potions and I make plenty of money.my life bar is full and I sell potions for money.I laugh when I see MC swigging potions to survive me because going to the statue costs nothing but drinking a potion costs gold, gold translates into Mccoin, Mccoin equals dollars. I just took that ♥♥♥♥♥es quarter at no cost to myself. my heal is like a free potion every 14 seconds and its a pretty decent potion too!!

PVP? yes I do ok. I random arena on 2s and 5s sometimes I get shit partners sometimes I get good ones, open world pvp is what I prefer and at that I do pretty damn good. theres quite a few 20s that used to kick the crap out of me that cant do that without lots help anymore. when I get in the mood I can pvp all day long. I perform just fine without potions and since you dont pick up repair cost from dying from pvp I throw myself into the front again and again and again., I crit heal a bd on the verge of death and watch him reek havoc. I foj a rogue attacking a healer stack a dot on that ♥♥♥♥♥ and burn him down maybe I get focused and sent back to the statue I res cast aura cast heal im back to 3/4 life bar by the time I hit the bridge heal cooldown is over and I top off.  I never have to stop and regen I can literally make war ALL DAY NON STOP the thing is as a paladin NEVER am I going to out damage an equally geared archer or mage. so if I heal him and keep him in the fight I am doing massive damage vicariously through his action.I will NEVER out heal a druid or priest, but their armor sucks If I protect the healer from the rogue with a well placed FOJ how much damage have I put out because of his healing those damage dealers around him. with this build I can be a FORCE MULTIPLIER with the amount of options I can make the correct decision when needed. thats the thing about playing a well rounded character  the decision making isnt already made for you you have to think on your feet. its very boring to play a straight damage dealer for me.

if i approach an open battle instead of mindlessly rushing into the fray I look for key enemy and allies. even while targetting I try to figure out who needs my heal most who of the enemy needs to die first and who my best damager is. when i get it right i can turn the tide with one correct decision.

Or I can fail that happens to. sometimes I mess up. sometimes the situation calls for a pure healer or a pure tank or pure damage and I am just not up to it. every class every build every weapon every crystal every rune every peice of armor has advantages and disadvantages. there is no "best"

That being said. you have got to find what you like best. what works for me may suck for you. The best I can do is tell you my thoughts and why I make my decisions. they are uniquely suited to my playstyle, my level of aggression, my lack of patience etc.

my biggest ♥♥♥♥♥ about this build is the damage. everything else I love and since I have gotten my champion mace to plus 8 I am finding less and less to ♥♥♥♥♥ about. I think once I get maxed out this build is going to prove to be extremely hard to kill for any class with any level of gear. even with gear not quite finished i dont get burned down any more. it takes a minute to kill me I dont care who you are. and surviving me is not that easy for anyone anymore. they do i still lose but the difference between now and last month is i used to drop like a folding chair and they would be nearly full life. now even if i am beaten the enemy life bar is usually pretty low. it takes a good player to kill me now, shamans and necros keep me off of them pretty easy but they have to kite and work for it now. it takes "effort" on their part. i am looking forward to seeng how things are next month with some more gear upgrades.

Amen bro, you speak the mad truth. One things for sure, when a paladin gets geared to the teeth, +10 to the bone, mace and shield, he may prove to be the strongest, most enduring, most difficult to crush, and most exciting character there is. From what I have witnessed, most all paladins start week, and grow very slowly, but the growth cap and potentiality cap is way above other classes. In other words, the paladin class has unlimited growth potential. My opinion.   

Whats better aura or FoJ??

better for what? what are your priorities? do you like to group or do you like to solo. do you like to pvp or do you like to tank bosses? do you want to stack defense or do you want to stack astral?or do you want to be well rounded?

FOR ME  I prefer Aura

5 aura 5 heal 5 purify I use an astral mace a sheild, and jewelry if you look up to the novel a few entries up I go into great detail as to why.

LATER I may change my mind.

the question you ask has too many variables that only you can answer. the topic has been debated a little already in other threads. honestly it totally depends on your end game goals what you like to do etc. maybe it could even depend on your gear that you currently possess.

I used to play a game called ultima online. I had a character who was a standard sword and board guy. I killed a pker and managed to loot a truly epic bow from him. in that game you could retrain skills and I dropped parry, mageryand sword for archery,animal lore,and taming. after an epic month long grinding process I had a dragon the size of a Semi and a bow that would knock anyones dick in the dirt. the entire motivation for me rebuilding was 100% motivated by a bow that was just so damn nice I could not sell it. I ended up with a character that was so obscenely over powered it was embarrasing to  play.(almost hehehe)

(for those UOrs out there Archery, tactics anatomy healing taming lore and magic resist  I used recall scrolls and magery rings to get around and summoning balls to call my dragon and nightmare  to  me.)

my thinking is for using a two hander pvp oriented type guy FOJ is better. if I were gonna go with two hander I would go with 5 FOJ 5 heal 5 purify , but I solo a lot.

if I wanted to be more party friendly and carry a two hander I would go with 5 purify 5 foj and 5 aura. heal without the astral buff and aura kinda sucks.

I ate a lot when I diodnt have stacked astral crap and aura I would fight and get low on life and usually i would also be low on mana. so I would eat alot and use potions. if I didnt have those i would have to use all my mana and wait for regen after any hard fights.

@Bramm

For the past 2 months I have been putting the paladin class to the test for 2 handed weapons. And I mean pushing to the limits.

My build is foj 5, purify 5, heal 5, sd axe at +9, att at 583 w/ice queen 3 piece set/506 without, and def over 5k. Just 1 more + to my axe and I will have everything maxed out completely. So, I was on a regular basis in pvp cave battling EU server's top barbs and rouges. And what I found was that a paladin with a 2handed weapon with almost everything maxed out was no match for a rouge or barb of the same max, and even less. The wins were fair enough sometimes, but for the most part the losses were almost triple the wins. This got me thinking.

Looking back at the introductory page when you select what class you want to pick it shows and says that barbs are proficient in dealing damage, rouges are capable of dealing extremely high damage, and paladins have mixed damage attacks, and good support (reading this a bit justified my feelings).

My observation using a 2handed weapon in pvp came down to this: Half of the skills you have are somewhat useless, like heal.

• 2handed weapon, pvp, and heal (foj 5, purify 5, heal 5): The max amount of astral you can stack from gear is, Astral Whirlpool Medallion: 18, Abyss Zealots Scarlet Mantle: 16, Abyss Zealots Garnet Signet x2: 32. Total being 66 astral. So heal becomes a bit pointless in pvp (not to mention the paladin will stop attacking to cast this weak/pointless heal that is no more than a delay in attacking). If your jewlry is stacked just like this and your aura is at 1, your heal will be 288. Now this is not a weak/pointless heal in gerneral, but in pvp when your opponent is hitting at 500 non-crit 900 w/crit every 2.1 sec, it is a bit pointless.
  • 2 handed weapon, pvp, aura 2 for heal buff, decreased fetters of justice to 4 (foj 4, purify 5, heal 5, aura 2): Now lets use a book of oblivion and try switching aura to 2 for a better heal, and foj to 4. This wont work. Foj is a crucial part of pvp, it reduces damage received by at least 30%, prevents your opponent from using any skills, controls/keeps an enemy I one place. The astral you have (stated above) wont suffice for this loss (setting foj to 4).
  • 2 handed weapon, pvp, aura 2 for heal buff, decreased purify to 4 (foj 5, purify 4, heal 5, aura 2): Now lets try to go aura 2 and purify 4,.... that's not even smart. With a 2handed weapon in an intense pvp battle you rely heavily on purify. The Aura buff isn't impactful enough to sacrifice one drop of purify.
  • Conclusion: Because you can only stack so much astral while using a 2handed weapon (heal not being so effective), it is pointless to sacrifice any skills that are effective. Your like a barbarian with only half a full set of skills.
My untested opinions about mace and shield: I think using mace and shield in pvp, all your skills can be highly effective, depending on your choice for skill build.
  • There is a high chance to foj 2x, foj purify combo 2x, and heal 2x in one pvp battle.
  • healing 2x in one pvp battle can reach up to 1,800 with crits, 1000 without crits if your astral is stacked right with right gear.
  • Defense is increased from shield, higher chance to block, better regeneration with shield.
  • Your attack may prove to be as effective as a 2handed weapon if you use foj/purify combo correctly.
Question: So basically I would like to know your opinion on this matter. is mace and shield better for pvp? Is 2handed weapon better for pvp and if so, what am I missing?

@bramm

just wondering, does the aura skill also double when the heal scores a crit? i get the feeling that only the main heal skill doubles while the aura just adds on without the doubling effect during a crit heal. anyone confirm?

just some additional breakdown, correct me if its wrong. your base heal is 380 and your aura adds 200. at crit heal the 380 is doubled while the aura does not bringing the total to 960.  :unknw:

@gabraunth

my build for the moment is 5purify, 5 heal, 2foj. i think that the foj skill formula is similar to the druid entangle skill ie at 1 point it holds for 3sec and adding more points will only increase the duration for 1 sec per point. somehow i feel that a foj skill of 3 points is sufficient for most fights and i plan to have the final build at 5purify, 5heal, 3foj, 3aura.

i agree that for 2handers using aura and heal is quite pointless as that may cost you two action delays (1 for each skill activation if your aura expired) which will most likely get you worse off than before. your findings are most useful.

btw, i saw you on trade channel wanting to get a lvl18 heroic endurance shield, does it exist?

just wondering, does the aura skill also double when the heal scores a crit? i get the feeling that only the main heal skill doubles while the aura just adds on without the doubling effect during a crit heal. anyone confirm?

I would say that aura doesnt double. Heal is the main healing ingrediant so I would assume that heal is the doubling crit. And I would say that aura increases the chance to get a crit.

somehow i feel that a foj skill of 3 points is sufficient for most fights and i plan to have the final build at 5purify, 5heal, 3foj, 3aura.

yes I agree, using a mace and shield with this kind of build, in pvp or in any other situations may be the best. In fact I will try this build out.

I agree that for 2handers using aura and heal is quite pointless as that may cost you two action delays (1 for each skill activation if your aura expired) which will most likely get you worse off than before. your findings are most useful.

Yeah, for pvp and any real battles with other players I wouldnt reccomend a 2handed weapon. Its an uncordinated build, it really is.

I have to come to realize that paladins with 2handed weapons are only good for, mage killing, low level player killing, and tanking. Why I say tanking? Because, bosses attack the player dealing the most damage. If your using mace and shield then a bd can easily out damage you, causing the boss to attack the bd. So I think for tanking a 2handed weapon has higher damage and can keep the boss on you.

About the [shield of heroic endurance], yes it exists, and I now have it.

son of a ♥♥♥♥♥.... :diablo: I typed a very long and detailed answer to your posting earlier and it is not there and lost.omg the nerdrage. ok i will type in word save then copy past to forum for all long posts from now on.

how about vs warlocks and shamans how does two hander do against those?

There are many factors that come into play when fighting a good shaman or a good warlock. I will try to explain what works and has been working for me. 

My recipe for shamans and warlocks of all lvls is this:

When foj is deployed that is your golden moment, you have only that fetters of justice time frame to kill or be killed. But lets go over some things first.

• Getting close enough to use foj is the most tricky part. Foj should be maxed out. Now keep in mind before you get to your target you may already be low/very low on life. But rest assured there is still a chance. 
  • If you have a High amped zealots pole axe, new arena 2handed or sudden doom 2handed weapon (shoud be at at least +8). Then you have a good chance at killing a good shaman or a good warlock in 2-4 blows (of course 2 out of those 4 blows must be crits).
  • Gear can make a big difference in this moment of life or death as well. If you have light armor that has high crit stats you may be even more lucky in this golden moment.
If all these things above are good to go, then you will have a better chance to kill a good shamn or a good warlock. As you already know the chances are low, but it happens, and when it does it is pretty funny. For now, for the paladin class this is all I have for this situation. But I will say, between firstborn and chosen, we paladins have a better chance at killing a shaman or a warlock than any other malee class. 

@Bramm

Looking over your postings I dont see too much in-depth detail about 1handed mace/shield and pvp. Most of your postings are about arena and hunting or open world, witch has been a great help. I am heavy on pvp, and spend a lot of time doing it. This is the first time I will be using mace and shield and heal, so for pvp only, what kind of skill build would you suggest.

@Bramm

Looking over your postings I dont see too much in-depth detail about 1handed mace/shield and pvp. Most of your postings are about arena and hunting or open world, witch has been a great help. I am heavy on pvp, and spend a lot of time doing it. This is the first time I will be using mace and shield and heal, so for pvp only, what kind of skill build would you suggest.

I aint Bramm but i can help.

Build at lv20 only for PvP: 5 Heal 5 Purify 3 FoJ 3 Aura. Your heal will skyrocket, and since i know youre using doom, you'll get like 300/400 heal. Purify + FoJ for the DoT and damage increase.

I aint Bramm but i can help.

Build at lv20 only for PvP: 5 Heal 5 Purify 3 FoJ 3 Aura. Your heal will skyrocket, and since i know youre using doom, you'll get like 300/400 heal. Purify + FoJ for the DoT and damage increase.

Well, (5 Heal, 5 Purify, 3 FoJ, 3 Aura) sounds like a really good build. Another build I have in mind is: (5 Heal, 5 Purify, and 5 Aura). The reason for the (5 Heal, 5 Purify, and 5 Aura) build is because you can heal 3x - 4x in one pvp battle. My build right now is: (1 aura, 5 purify, 5 foj, 5 heal), and my heal is already 428 without critical. So im guessing aura lvl 5 will do 600ish heal. I looked at the foj + purify dot damage, and its not that high, not high enough to put any focus on, I could be wrong. Although foj is considerably valuable in pvp, reduces damage recieved, prevents skills from being used, and foj/purify. So, I will definately try the build you are suggesting. Thanks.

Also, I just spent the night doing many pvp trials with my current build and low amped shield and mace. The results were pretty suprising, and I just want to say that I would choose mace and shield over 2 handed wep any day. The survival possibilities are unbeweavable. 

it seems that there are only 3 popular builds suggested so far

5purify 5heal 5foj - gabraunth's current build

5purify 5heal 5aura - bramm's current build

5purify 5heal 3foj 3aura - balance build

i would prefer the balance build but thats just me.  :)

for the armors, which would be preferable- the heroic endurance or the divine defence set? or a mixture?

@gabraunth

would love to hear the win loss ratios after your pvp trials with mace/shield.

2hander: 1 win to 3 losses

1hander: ??

the definition of pvp as it relates to warspear is different from other games I have been exposed to. I would consider the term players use as pvp to be dueling so in my mind there would be open world pvp arena pvp and duel pvp.

for the armors, which would be preferable- the heroic endurance or the divine defence set? or a mixture?

Well, I did some compare and contrasting with divine and heroic armors. I was also very curious about which would be more suitable for my paladin. The two armors are very simular. There are some minor differences. Below I listed the the differences that stood out for me.

The difference with heroic endurance full set. You will get a 21 life regeneration bonus and with the [hauberk of heroic endurance] body armor you will get a 2.5% block. (Block % is how we know heroic endurance set is for the paladin class)

The difference with divine set. You will get a 463 def bonus and with the [scale armor of divine defence] body armor you will get a 2.6% dodge.

*There are some more very small differences between the these two sets, but for me these differences mattered the most.

I personally, chose to go with divine set. why? Because the 463 divine defence bonus is 100% of the time present for all incoming physical attacks. With the heroic set, when you are in a pvp battle, walking, and attacking, your regerneration rate is cut by a lot. And the 2.5% block is only an added 2.5% chance to block. But this is only my opinion and idea.

Mixing the sets is a great idea, maybe the best idea for paladin. Unfortunately for me, I had already maxed out the divine set before I thought about mixing the two. You would want to go 2 pieces divine (not scale armor) and 2 pieces heroic (1 of the 2 heroic pieces should be the [hauberk of heroic endurance]). This combination will give the 463 divine def bonus and the heroic hauberk 2.5% block. *note: without full heroic endurance set you cant unlock the 21 life regeneration. For the most part I believe this is quite correct. But if you find some inaccuracy in what I posted, then please correct. Thanks

I use arena gear. no idea if thats best.

The other day I was looking at arena gears. They have an outstanding level of resilience. Takes that nasty edge off critical attacks. Really good for leveling the playing field. In fact I believe resilience isnt just for melee based critical attacks, it also goes for magical critical atacks. Great gear.

the definition of pvp as it relates to warspear is different from other games I have been exposed to. I would consider the term players use as pvp to be dueling so in my mind there would be open world pvp arena pvp and duel pvp.

Yeah I understand what you mean. In warspear most player refer to pvp as, signal when your ready, no potting or using scrolls, only raw skills, no others disturbing, to the death. Almost like being in a boxing ring. There is open world pvp but if your both potted to the bone, crossing, using scrolls then the fights almost never end, and its hard to say who is the strongest between the two. 

@gabraunth

very informative post you have there,  :good:

just out of curiosity, how much did you spend on getting those divine set armors and amping them?

must be like 3-5 million gold... :shok:

@gabraunth

very informative post you have there,  :good:

just out of curiosity, how much did you spend on getting those divine set armors and amping them?

must be like 3-5 million gold... :shok:

lol, it wasnt that much gold. It was expensive but mostly it was really hard work. Waiting for the items to appear in trade chat was the first hard part. The second hard part was bargaining with the seller. Some sellers try to sell single items at like 600k-900k or 500s and up, and thats a ripp off deal in my opinion. It took about 2 months to get all the pieces. Then the third hard part was getting the set amped to +10, and this took about 2 months as well, do a little amping here and there until you reach ur goals. Believe it or not amping gear to +10 isnt as hard as you might think. Now, amping a weapon to +10 is extremely hard, and I havent achieved that yet. Most people think a full +10 set means ur rich, this isnt true, it just means you have a working JOB (Just.Over.Broke).