How to Become a Good Tank

slay

In most games i like playing as a warrior with thick armors, big and scarry  ;D

So, in this game system anyone could be a tank but actually they are different kind of tanks out there.

Check this out!

What is the tank role:

1. Make sure weaker party member protected

2. Responsible for whole party safety coz when tank died it could be all get killed

3. Never leave member behind especially healer

4. Always make healer have a fun healing time

Ok now how we do it?

Let's see...the following questions

Can I tank that BOSS?

When in fight your health regeneration would be cut by 50% which is regenerate per 5 secs (about 2 hits from any monsters)

The healing period by druid or shaman is 3 secs per heal at 5 times

For instance if your health regeneration is 100 per 5 secs and healer strength is 200 per 3 secs

Its means you will healed about (50% * 100) per 5 secs + 200 per 3 secs = 25 + 200 per 3 secs = around 225 per 3 secs which is the same attack speed of most monsters in the game.

So, as long as the hit of the monster on you less than 225 than you can tank for sure.

Do energy regeneration important for a tank?

YES! In fact its very important for any classes.

If you drained your energy you only could do normal attacks which is very weak and probably the boss will change target to the most threat source! Imagine if this happen and the boss chasing any range class in your party and reset the boss, its very bad.

So make sure you always enchanted your rings and belt with crystal of harmony forget about penetration and other crystals.

In long fight although you have very high damage with very high penetration, soon you could only do normal attacks coz no energy to execute any skills which is terrible.

Should I know other party member strength?

You should, so you could give advice to them how to support you for "a clean tank" job

Do I need to be easily noticeable in crowded fight?

Always take a visible position in fight so the healer have an easier way to heal you

Do I need to maximize aggro skill (taunt/persuasion/aggression/provocation)?

This is my personal opinion, I say yes if you are comfort with one hand weapon and shield, otherwise don't waste on it.

Why, because one hand weapon have low attack that will make you difficult to lock the boss on you.

The aggro skill is the answer to 100% locked the boss on you, even any party members have tremendous damage with their weapons

And the last words is "a good tank is a tank that know his limit"

Don't act like a hero you try to safe anybody by taking aggro all monster that attacking your friends but you forget that the damage you suffer exceed your healing.

Hope this noob tips could help a little...

Just 2 thing:

Health regen is every 5 seconds (Written ingame too)

Healing is 5 heals on 15 seconds, 15:5=3, so every 3th second. But good guide anyway. +

Good thinking ! I've hardly seen any BD with atleast lvl2 aggro. Every time a ranger uses BLESSING, the boss starts attacking him and now lvl1 aggro isn't really usefull cos ranger blessing stays for sometime. So druids find it hard if tanks have low damage.

Just 2 thing:

Health regen is every 5 seconds (Written ingame too)

Healing is 5 heals on 15 seconds, 15:5=3, so every 3th second. But good guide anyway. +

Thanks for the correction

Do I need to be easily noticeable in crowded fight?

Always take a visible position in fight so the healer have an easier way to heal you

This is even more important now with the addition of Priest and Necro, every millisecond counts towards keeping up with hp.

Good stuff!

Hi, i'm new to this game, and i wanted to play as a Tank...so i choose barb.

So far i'm lvl 11, in the first island and with some decent gear i think.

I have a few questions to ask :)

1.- When you say aggro skill is the first one, that makes dmg? or the one that is called taunt? So far i hope is the first one, 'cos i have it in 5.

2.-Right now I can't tank anything, so if I understood correctly, what i need to tank is high HP regen, def makes any diference here?

3.- Ok, i have my "aggro" skill maxed right now. I use it a lot for killing for quests, but....what's the next skill to lvl up as a tank barb? I was considering charge beacuse of the stun. I imagine in a war, tanks go front line to eat dmg, i won't be using the first skill at all, but i will be stuning all dmg dealers or supports in front of me while attracting the atention of everyone, allowing my party to do DPS while not beeing targeted, is that correct?

4.- Right now i'm using a 2H axe because of dmg as i need to kill a lot of mobs to complete quest i'm not considergin in switching to shield and 1H axe, is that ok? or should i switch right away to shield? Cos i believe it will take a lot of time to kill some monsters using 1H axe....

Thanks!

Hi, i'm new to this game, and i wanted to play as a Tank...so i choose barb.

So far i'm lvl 11, in the first island and with some decent gear i think.

I have a few questions to ask :)

1.- When you say aggro skill is the first one, that makes dmg? or the one that is called taunt? So far i hope is the first one, 'cos i have it in 5.

2.-Right now I can't tank anything, so if I understood correctly, what i need to tank is high HP regen, def makes any diference here?

3.- Ok, i have my "aggro" skill maxed right now. I use it a lot for killing for quests, but....what's the next skill to lvl up as a tank barb? I was considering charge beacuse of the stun. I imagine in a war, tanks go front line to eat dmg, i won't be using the first skill at all, but i will be stuning all dmg dealers or supports in front of me while attracting the atention of everyone, allowing my party to do DPS while not beeing targeted, is that correct?

4.- Right now i'm using a 2H axe because of dmg as i need to kill a lot of mobs to complete quest i'm not considergin in switching to shield and 1H axe, is that ok? or should i switch right away to shield? Cos i believe it will take a lot of time to kill some monsters using 1H axe....

Thanks!

1.Actully, both can work. Sometimes when i farm, i use first skill and get it crit, and its become highest hit, and boss attack me some seconds. But the real aggro, is taunt.

2.High def and hp regen for physical damagebosses. Some bosses do sun/moon/dark magic attack, but mostly do physical.

3. Charge at Lv5 is a nightmare for everyone. High chance to work and stuns for a good time. But here shall some more experienced barbs help you, not me.

4. Dunno

I recommend u to equip urself with both 1h axe with shield and 2h axe, one for pve and one for pvp, also its very helpful when one of ur weapons is damaged to 0, u always have another one. Also a recommend "buying" weapons from arena, so gather as much ap  as u can. These are the best weapons which u can get in fair easy way without worring about bosses and quests, just poor fighting on arena.

nice guide.

If I can add something...

if any party members out dmg the tanker, and boss switches target... tell them dont run, as this will reset boss if they  run out of his range.. instead, stop atacking until the tanker exceeds your dmg output and the boss switches back to him.

at lvl 5 aggro skill how long does it last?

Its last for 8 seconds, the same as cooldown 8 seconds.

I wish at level 5 its last for 9 seconds so the tank could lock the boss consider on slower network and skill animation

Thank you very much for your responses.

Off topic: Is there a Database to see all the equipment abailable? I usually like to see what my final gear would be or wich is the best equipment per level...to start saving money XD

• 1 month later...

Wannabe be a good tank? Max your Roar,Strong blow. Charge is up for discussion since the stun chance has been changed. So probably a good idea to Max chop lol. Get you some berengar gear at first. Grab u an arena shield and Axe. Slap on a few block and dodge runes. But most importantly find best healer you know lol. Dont forget about strategically placing some accuracy and critical crystal. Now become that rock you are destined to be! Game on you big slow moving mountain of terror lol.-