"Screen bugs" explained

Lol26charactersforaname

Ever wondered why bladedancers can hamstring you from 91728 miles away? In this video I explain the hitbox, also known as "screen bug" or "position but"

Finally a video explaining this.

So there's 3 known ways of triggering position desync:

1) Attacking someone

2) Getting hit

3) Using skill while you are walking

You mentioned each of those actions delay your position by exactly 1 tile but I think it delays like 0.5 tiles each time. I mean if you use 3 skills while walking you will be something like 2 yards away from where you really are and not 3.

There is one more way of getting the wrong placement of players on the screen which is: lagging.

But the most important thing that this video showed is that, unlike some moderators said and repeated like parrots, position desync is not player's connection fault. It can be caused by the simple fact of 1) attacking someone, 2) getting hit, 3) using any skill while you are walking.

And to aggravate the problem, the client only refreshes the screen when you transition into another map or when you log off and log on.

I'd rather see people teleporting but being show on the correct position than see everyone walking smoothly but not on the real space they are occupying.

I understand warspear is an old game but this kind of outdated netcode makes classes that rely on area of effect skills very unpleasant to play.

I hope a developer take notes on what is in this video and try to improve this situation.

Your internet connection is the reason for desync most of the time I'd say. Even high speeds and/or pings get behind sometimes, and it happens in a lot of games. And I mean that in general, not anybody certain.

I know of a game that even offers an option to display your client exactly like it is from the server, however I suppose that's mostly intended for users with slower speeds, and with warspear, I think it would take away much of the visual smoothess we have now. Characters constantly warping etc..

Even one tile of desync can make the game look like it's flawed, because of the outcomes from that.

On 2017. 10. 11. at 4:06 PM, Raezer said:

Your internet connection is the reason for desync most of the time I'd say.

I would say it may be part of the reason for desync, but this issue is very much present at players with outstanding internet connection (like me).

I am sure the biggest part of the problem is on the game's side (client or server).

It seems that unfortunately the game core is getting outdated. I cannot recall any MMOs I've played to have such issues. Maybe there were, but as mentioned before, there are a lot of characters in Warspear Online that have area effecting skills and desync pretty much screws up those skills.

The guy made a 4:21 video showing everything that can induce position desync and you guys still talking about connection's fault rofl.

Walking from one side from the map to another while getting hit and/or using skills will make the screeen show the wrong placement of your character no matter how good is your internet connection. You will only able to see things on the correct placement if you change map, disconnect and connect or click into a cell and stand still until the server hitbox reaches the client hitbox.

And prolly they will never fix it because:

1) It would be too much work to rewrite netcode.

2) Layman like you and 95% of the players who doesn't understand anything about netcode in online gaming will still buy that it's is our internet's fault.

Edited by nabnecro

26 minutes ago, nabnecro said:

2) Layman like you and 95% of the players who doesn't understand anything about netcode in online gaming will still buy that it's is our internet's fault.

Hope you didn't mean this to me, as I just wrote exactly what you have.

A system should be designed to be easily accessed to be renewable. If the code behind Warspear Online was not made so, that is poor design.

If an outdated background is not renewed from time to time, it will most likely cause problems in the future and will greatly reduce opportunities.
Just remember Roland always saying "This is an old game"... Well how do you expect to maintain a system with such attitude? You may always push and push new content and updates (like the new classes and guild castles), but if you don't solve problems at the very core of the game, it will collapse in time. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will.

Edited by BennyBT

Yeah I admit my opinion is wrong but from experience I can tell that it happens far less with a good connection than a unstable one.

You can go on about knowing netcode and whatnot for days, but it's still up to the devs whether they do something about it or not. They wouldn't have to do it even if a lot of pleyers complained (which they did). There might even be a certain reason they're keeping it the way it is, I dunno. 

Or they are going to work on it but don't want to spoil it lol. Rembemer how they said it's impossible to add new classes years ago. :D

2 hours ago, Raezer said:

Or they are going to work on it but don't want to spoil it lol. Rembemer how they said it's impossible to add new classes years ago. :D

That is true, but the difference between the two is that new classes are a new feature but syncing is the main core of the game and is more urgent than anything else. Which means they should not delay it.

Edited by BennyBT

• 2 years later...