Insults and racism in the game

benjaminbt

Good day everyone.

I would like to present you a problem that has been discussed on this forum multiple times recently. An issue we are all aware of and that needs to be looked after as soon as possible.

Lately, racism and insults have been flourishing in the game chat. People insulting others for their ethnicity, the guild they play in, the gear they have, etc. I saw multiple times high geared players looking down on poorly amplified players, discussing how poor in real life they might be. And this is happening all day. Nowadays I cannot read through world chat without finding highly sensitive entries.

As I know, online support was supposed to be implemented a long time ago. A few game versions earlier we could still see the inactive button of it. This was supposed to be a solution for issues mentioned above.

Possibly due to a lack of human resources this project was cancelled, and since then, ingame moderating remained unsolved. Unfortunately.

The next part of this topic would rather fit to Suggestions thread, since I would like to suggest a possible solution.

Community moderators.

Aigrind could implement a very strict selection system to choose the suitable players for this job. These moderators would get no priviliges ingame, other than having the abilities to mute/kick/ban players for inappropiate actions. Of course every decision of them could be later revisioned by the company.

This would be a solution for the "not enough workers for this job" problem, since players themselves could keep this system alive.

Also, the option to send screenshots to the support team from ingame (I suggested this before) could be a way for players to report being insulted immediately.

I hope you will try to make a step and solve the issue as soon as possible.

Peace out there!

Benny

Even with this, we will still have people using powers inappropriately, even with moderation, people can be banned for example outta a dispute which would not normally deserve a ban, this can be checked later and aigrind can reverse this but thats not the point now a player has had unknown time wasted banned while aigrind reviewed his banning, this can help with arena season for example, although this person who mods for aigrind may be removed still doesn't remove what happened, gives others the same idea really, I mean if they did on friday when gms gone home then we won't see unban till monday -Tuesday, you could say they could request ban to gm instead of them quick action do it, but thats system we have now, 

Also this should be in suggestions

2 hours ago, Counciler said:

... Also this should be in suggestions

Just partly, the first part of the topic is suitable for Support.

Strict selection means strict. Of course choosing moderators from the community has drawbacks, but let's say they wouldn't be able to ban players, only kick (disconnect players, but they can immediately rejoin, perfect to warn players) and mute them. This way, they won't be able to abuse their power. However, their suggestion to ban a player would go directly to support and they would decide whether it is appropriate to ban the player or not.

Or I don't know, but I am sick of seeing that world chat, that is planned to be a channel to interact with everyone at once has turned to a huge sh*tbox of insults.

Edited by BennyBT

Again to disconnect players can.be abused although annoying, can be time waster if spam offline, like kick from dg, waste arena pot for block, and to disconnect someone for a sec isn't really threat as they can just go back on and continue, its lovely idea but best way gm solved this was by adding a profanity filter and allowing remove wc from being seen, maybe extending the profanity filter might be a better suggestion, and you can always report people for racist remarks which can lead to chat bans

1 hour ago, Counciler said:

...and you can always report people...

Kicking is efficient. They will be removed from dungeons. Next time they will think before insulting.

Yes, improved profanity filter would come handy too.

And of course, you can report these players, now, too, but it takes too long to send an email from the game site and then wait x days for response.

I would totally do it for free if could do something about these aholes

and i am not talking about taking revenge from someone or banning someone cuz a "friend told me to"

but because he is a ahole in chat

Edited by FakeUser

3 hours ago, BennyBT said:

only kick (disconnect players, but they can immediately rejoin, perfect to warn players)

i agree with you, but the issue is after time player will know that the only thing Community mods can do is kick you 

and they wouldn't be afraid anymore, maybe mods could send him a in game message like second hand dealer messages

and if they didn't stop then you could kick them for 1h or 2, and if then they did not stop ban them for a month or so

Players banning/kicking others? It's a big no no for simple reasons that Counciler mentioned above. In game moderators with ability to mute for a while could work but no more.

I would agree for in-game mods but only in a strictly ruled manner.

The maximum power that in-game mods could have is to mute players from chatting in all area chats (That means: area, trade, world chats only, while party, guild and private chats could be handled by kicking/ignoring) for 1hr/1 day/3 days/1 week/permanent. And they should be monitored by dev mods every now and then, and repeated reports from players about the player misusing the chat ban with proofs could result in removing the power and possibly an extra punishment for the mod (like a temporal game ban depending on the abuse). Also mods shouldn't exceed 2 players in each faction.

Otherwise it will be too chaotic and community will become more toxic, and players banning players from playing the game for chatting certain stuff also doesn't make any sense and shouldn't be allowed in any game.

It is about dealing with sh*t talk, the solution is ban from talking, not playing the game altogether, at the end even the ignore button alone is enough.

Edited by Gladiator

23 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

...at the end even the ignore button alone is enough.

You have the point. Muting is enough. I don't care what the final solution is, but I don't want to see players insulting each other. 

Disabling world chat is not an option, I think we all agree on that. 

And about ignore list: that means I ignore them entirely. That I ain't want, I want them to stop.

It will be hard to find in game moderators with high sense of justice,

Who don't hesitate to mute their own friends/guildmates if they make mistakes,

Who willing work for free,

Have mature attitudes,

And dedicated for the community.

That's a valid suggestion, except when you mentioned players themselves doing the moderator job. If there's going to be any moderator it has to be someone from "outside" who doesn't play the game at all. If you don't understand what I'm saying just do some research about the past forum dramas due biased actions from moderators. You can count 2 or 3 moderators that truly remained unbiased during the entire time. If we are going to have shitty moderators (which is veeeery likely if they decide to hand this job to players) then it's better to have none.

Edited by nabnecro

Only muting for mods, and only one mod per server and faction. I'd gladly take the function for elf side/eu, the chat is struck by insults as well, it's sad really that players behave this way.

Edited by Raezer

44 minutes ago, Raezer said:

Only muting for mods, and only one mod per server and faction. I'd gladly take the function for elf side/eu, the chat is struck by insults as well, it's sad really that players behave this way.

Or few mods so one would be available all time

8 hours ago, nabnecro said:

That's a valid suggestion, except when you mentioned players themselves doing the moderator job. If there's going to be any moderator it has to be someone from "outside" who doesn't play the game at all. If you don't understand what I'm saying just do some research about the past forum dramas due biased actions from moderators. You can count 2 or 3 moderators that truly remained unbiased during the entire time. If we are going to have shitty moderators (which is veeeery likely if they decide to hand this job to players) then it's better to have none.

Hey hey what about me:boohoo-crazy-rabbit-emoticon:

3 hours ago, Raezer said:

I don't think one mod per faction on each server would be enough. No ine can stay online 24/7 because of sleep in first place and even in the time when you are awake you can't stay online all day. Most of the people work or still attend uni or school

12 minutes ago, Morgana said:

I don't think one mod per faction on each server would be enough. No ine can stay online 24/7 because of sleep in first place and even in the time when you are awake you can't stay online all day. Most of the people work or still attend uni or school

Just one is easier to check up on, and players are always free to report really problematic players if there wouldn't be a mod on. I'm online most of the day.

But I doubt that the devs support this idea anyway.

Just now, blacknia said:

insult part of the all online games :kill-myself-crazy-rabbit-emoticon:

( you dont love insult dont play any online game ) 

play mario thear s no 1 insult you:hehe:

So ur saying that insults are a good thing?

Better if the in-game mods are independent ones and non-players (as mentioned by nabnecro).

I think it's applicable, and perhaps Aigrind may give it a try o: 

Edited by Virgins

1 hour ago, Pecleb said:

As french ppl say: u are the exception that does confirm the rule :D

16 minutes ago, Jcbreff said:

You are counted to those 2-3

Awwww you two!:love1:

2 minutes ago, Morgana said:

Awwww you two!:love1:

What if we all are just part of the One :depressed: then there wouldnt be two

Ok i have no idea what im speaking now :hehe:

I would be banned within like a day because I dont stop farming you in pvp cave unless you call me Daddy or a Badass or Papi so ima say no. However Rascism i agree with honestly nothing more cringy then lil white kids talking about lynching people on US :calm-down-crazy-rabbit-emoticon:

2 hours ago, Morgana said:

What do the french people say?:cat2:

?

Just wanted to say that i consider you as one of the few people capable to remain unbiased and to use their powers right. I agree most ppl can't and it would be ver hard to find capable moderators. I wouldn't even trust myself for this... it's too easy to mute someone emotionnaly

I don't think devs will implement this, since casting will be impossible among players, and there should be more than 1 mod by server ofc (everybody needs to sleep), so that would be way too muchpeople to pay for Aigrind

Edited by Pecleb

Let's focus on the first part of my post. The problem itself.

The second part is only a suggestion, it's not even applicable, as many of you pointed out and I agree with you reading back.

Let me quote from the Rules of Conduct in Warspear Online.

"It is forbidden to use insults and foul language (both overtly and in a veiled form), to use provocative remarks against other players in order to make them violate rules.

The propaganda of violence and discrimination on racial, ethnic, religious and other grounds is forbidden as well as spreading information that violates the laws of the Russian Federation or the moral and ethical standards."

Since those players are breaking the very first point in the Rule of Conduct, it is rightful from me to come here and ask the Developer Team to make a step of action. In any way.

This is kinda like when you read in your terms and conditions and see something like, you are above the age of (said age) or you are mentally sane, they don't enforce the rule but if it comes an issue then someone reports it to staff and they sort it, for example Facebook users must be 13+ if they lied about their age you can report the account as being someone underage, and then they must provide proof they are over the said age to gain access to their account. This swearing in game we have a profanity filter, if you are being bullied so much you feel you need gm, or they offended putin, then report them, but don't need an active sorta police

Guest Jessie

Dear players, we know that the topic of ingame moderators is very vital for you, but we are not planning to hire such people or engage current players in this activity.

However, we truly share and support your wish for the in-game chat to be pleasant for all players. In case of insults and usage of abusive language, we recommend you to turn on a profanity filter and to add such people to the blacklist.

Also, you can send us screenshots of such messages in the world chat. We will take necessary measures in any case.

We would like to ask you not to spam with such topics - the question of in-game moderators won't be reconsidered in the nearest future. Thanks in advance!

• Daria locked this topic