So Many Questions

Demonhyde

Okay so I've still got questions. I read over all the skills and looked at a lot of threads, but I'm still having some trouble. But to any older players who read this, I kindly ask that you assess the following statements and reply if I'm wrong or right, and explain why if I'm wrong.

1. Skills

Okay, so I get stealth and merc strike should always be 5. Now, here's where it gets tricky. I may be making another rogue for PvP purposes, but this one is more for playing with my brother in pve. Now I know dodge really doesn't help either. But I do know gouge is to stun, run, and stealth. Which is more of a PvP thing. Would that make kick in the back the better option for pve since it decreases accuracy for up to 5 attacks if I were, say, tanking a boss? And I don't even wanna ask yet about the profession skills, since I'm nowhere near those levels yet.

2. Weapons

Okay so I just read a thread with a lot of people arguing years ago about whether axes or daggers were better. Now, from what I read it seems like axes are better for instant damage, while daggers are more of a long run kind of weapon. So axes seem to be the favor for PvP for that burst of attacks right out of stealth, but would it be smarter to use daggers out in the wilderness against regular mobs for quests and dungeon runs?

3. PvE in general

I've been playing the rogue for a couple days now and I really enjoy it. It's a very comfortable character to play with, but I'm afraid that it won't be worth it in the higher levels when I try to get into boss running. Should I just go and make a barb to tank? Or is it okay to try and tank with a rogue? I haven't gotten this far, but I know poison skill helps out a lot with DoT (damage over time). Would that give me an edge over other "tank" characters?

Thanks to anyone who replies and helps!

Isn't rogue DPS class since beginning? they have crazy dodge but still he can't tank better than barb and DK :unknw:

and as a rogue tank you will be stunned/debuff by boss, your party don't need you to be stunned, they need you deal high damage.

and yes rogue more fun to play because we initiate attack, not waiting to be jumped :pleasantry:

axes are the most prefered by dual wielder eventhough the prices of axes are choking dual wielder :bad:

1. When it comes to pvp merc strike shouldn't be 5 always, I'd rather use points either on kick in the back or dodge for extra survivability, for pve go for highest damage + high life steal so you can deal high damage plus heal yourself.

2. I'd go for axe + dagger, but yes dagger are better in pve.

3. Rogue character with decent gears can tank any bosses, and rogue is always wanted in dungeon for faster run, barb are for tanking bosses like swamp slug. My rogue with 4.2k defence can tank any boss, can tank lab too so it's not a problem.

Axe + Sword is the combination I like the most :) No one will ever be able to give an answer to your second question because everyone prefers a different combination

Thank you for your replies! So I believe that my best bet would be to go for axe + dagger (and putting whichever one is currently amp'd to a higher damage in the primary hand) because that gives you the highest dps. I just did some of the math based on lvl 10 weapons. Now, Cybernem, you said that as a tank I should lean towards highest damage + life steal. Does that mean I should go with 5/5 merc strike? And what other skills should I use points in other than that and stealth that would benefit me the most as a tank?

Thank you Fkum and Julia for your input!

Fkum, I will be trying to tank later on in the game. If I begin to see that even at same amp I am not doing as well as DK's or barbs then I will probably switch over to one of those, and switch my current rogue over as a pvp.

Julia you're probably right as to whether I'll get a steady answer from people since everyone has their preference. Based on my math I believe the axe+dagger has the highest possible dps available, so I think I'm going to try that out for a while.

Again, thank you guys for answering!

5/5 strike

5/5 stealth (useful everywhere)

3/5 gouge (If your HP is low, you can always gouge & go stealth asap)

4/4 absolute reflexes (Let's you dodge 3x in every 10 secs if I'm not wrong, good for survivability)

3/4 poison (you can dot damage 8+ times, depend on how fast you can hit, 1 hit = 3 dots, 2 hit = 4 dots, 3 hit = 5 dots and so on, it should be normal attack, not skills)

Jump 1/4 (Jump is a great skill but I'd choose poison over jump because it deals higher damage and it is more useful)

You can get highest DPS by using 2x dagger but your damage won't be very high, I prefer axe + dagger because it is neither slow nor fast and damage is high.

Edited by Cybernem

I actually did some math to test which would be better for dps. Double dag, double axe, or combo. I tested it with lvl 10 axe and dag, along with the attack speed for each. In 30 seconds. The dags would do 1202 damage total. Axes would do 1550. But a combination of the two got 1700. I'm gonna have to test with more weapons, but I do think that axe + dag would be the best for dps.

I didn't even know absolute reflexes existed, but that sounds incredibly useful in any situation. And the same for poison. Anything with DoT helps. It was the same for bee swarm on a druid. Adding in that DoT to anyone can save a life sometimes.

I've also learned that MC are a lot more helpful than elves. I could post for days on elf pages and not get but shit for a reply. Thanks for the help so far man.

Edited by Demonhyde

Im not an expert with how rogues were back in the day, but i've had mine for a good while now.

1. Merciless strike and stealth at 5 are almost required in both pvp and pve. Max damage put out this way. Also gouge at 3 is good for both. Sometimes in dung, if for example healer lags out, rogue can gouge and stealth if hes fast enough. In pvp you can wait out dots with it.

After 5 merciless 5 stealth and 3 gouge rest of the points should be invested in experts. Either absolute reflexes or poison. If you want to go full dung build ricochet is also good to level, it can do good damage to mob groups. Dodge and kick are mostly useless in dung, and to be honest, nowadays also in pvp.

2. Ive never liked axes for dung, especially ones with no accu. I usually manage to outdamage axe rogues using sword+kris combination. Also remember that sacrificing some damage in accesories for mana regen increases your damage output in the long run.

3. With the current situation, rogues can be pretty good tanks. Absolute reflexes work good vs high damage bosses and mob groups. Life steal allows good tanking even with not high amped healers.

Just in general, for pve, remember to get accuracy over anything. Mobs have surprisingly high dodge. You could miss over 50 times per termi run. Thats alot of damage, which could make the differwnce between one and 2 stam.

Also don't be that rogue that has low def and rushes into mobs before healers are ready. You will die. If you're +10 and have pots then feel free.

Some other tips: Use stealth after every mob group, it adds almost 2k damage every group (counting increased poison tics). Needless to say it adds up during the dung.

I totally forgot dungeons even existed. I left right before the update that brought those in came out. Are they timed dungeons, or is it more of a "take your time and collect loot" kind of thing? And yeah I've noticed the whole accuracy thing is needed. I'm only level 8 atm and it's ridiculous how many times my attacks are dodged. I may get sword/Dag combo. The total dps difference when I tested all the numbers wasn't that big. Only a couple of hp. And considering how many attacks that I have dodged every other time with my axe combo, you're probably right. Also, yeah I used to be a druid before I left like 2 or so years ago. I hated tanks that didn't know how to be patient. I just let them die if they tried to rush in too fast and attract 6 or 7 mobs all before I can heal him. So I think I'll be okay in that area lmao. I guess I'll have to toy with the professional skills later on when I'm up in those levels. If I end up not liking what I did I can always just buy an oblivion book.

All dungeons are timed.

Focus on high accuracy, critical and life steal for pve, resilience is not important.

Arena weapons won't be a good choice for pve, Id prefer weapons with critical, accuracy and permeation. Permeation can be replaced by speed, rage, stun but accuracy and critical are very important.

Resilience is pretty important though.. Enchant your armor, boots, and belt, even in dungs. You don't wanna get 1000!+ hits from bosses. And 500!+ from mobs. 10% resi from those enchants would do not bad.

Ok let me put my 2 cents down in this thread. I'm a full +10 rogue with dual lvl23 +10 axes inspect Highwalker if you don't believe me.

1. The highest DPS you can achieve comes from an axe and sword combination according to the test I've run. What ever you choose to use comes down to what type of rogue you want to be. 

2. I classify rogues under 2 categories (Attack/Tank) good for PvP and dungeons (Dodge/High DPS) usually uses daggers good for farming/PvE

3. Arena gear is exactly what it says, gear made for Arena fighting. I used  different combination depending on what I'm doing. If you can have PvP and a PvE set and a combination of weapons.

4. Skill set are also preferential also, I used Absolute Reflexes at a max to PvP BD's and I have had good results, there are only a handful of BD'S I can't beat but that's not a lack of skill on my part more to do with BD's skills being bugged. (Like a hamstring that can hit from 10 meters away) 

Overall, build your character how it best suits you. There is no perfect set up but go with what you plan on doing more. Those are my 2 cents.

Retired Rogue - Highwalker 

Ok let me put my 2 cents down in this thread. I'm a full +10 rogue with dual lvl23 +10 axes inspect Highwalker if you don't believe me.

1. The highest DPS you can achieve comes from an axe and sword combination according to the test I've run. What ever you choose to use comes down to what type of rogue you want to be.

2. I classify rogues under 2 categories (Attack/Tank) good for PvP and dungeons (Dodge/High DPS) usually uses daggers good for farming/PvE

3. Arena gear is exactly what it says, gear made for Arena fighting. I used different combination depending on what I'm doing. If you can have PvP and a PvE set and a combination of weapons.

4. Skill set are also preferential also, I used Absolute Reflexes at a max to PvP BD's and I have had good results, there are only a handful of BD'S I can't beat but that's not a lack of skill on my part more to do with BD's skills being bugged. (Like a hamstring that can hit from 10 meters away)

Overall, build your character how it best suits you. There is no perfect set up but go with what you plan on doing more. Those are my 2 cents.

Retired Rogue - Highwalker

You can't get highest DPS from axe + sword, DPS = Damage per second.

Dagger 1.7 secs, sword 2.0 and axe 2.2

How to calculate your speed?

(AS1+AS2)*2/3, where

AS1 - time between auto attack from 1st weapon (1.7, 2.0 and 2.2)

AS2 - time for 2nd

If you equip two daggers, your speed won't be 1.7, it will be

(1.7+1.7)*2/3 = 3.4*2/3 = 2.26666667 secs

You're saying sword + axe gives highest DPS, let's see

(2.0+2.2)*2/3 = 4.2*2/3 = 2.8 secs

I don't know how did you test or what is DPS to you, plus make sure to check speed before testing.

Attack speed lowers the time between auto attacks,

(AS2/1.XX)

AS2 = your current time between auto attacks

XX = your attack speed number (eg 10%)

Let's see axe + sword with 20% SPD

2.80/1.2 = 2.3 DPS

Now, 2x dagger with 20% SPD

2.27/1.2 = 1.89 DPS

Clearly 2x dagger gives highest DPS, thanks to testfive to help me understand DPS and attack speed.

Resilience is pretty important though.. Enchant your armor, boots, and belt, even in dungs. You don't wanna get 1000!+ hits from bosses. And 500!+ from mobs. 10% resi from those enchants would do not bad.

Yes but resilience is like the last thing to worry about, it is better to use burning rage + arena, with accuracy weapons. 30% critical, high accuracy and decent resilience, just need to change boots and armour def or resi depend if you wanna pve or PvP, that set works good for both. :P

Cyber, you're on the right track. What you calculated right there is how fast you can attack, but not necessarily which one has the better dps. Dps is an average of your overall damage divided into each second. So yeah you may get to attack more times with 2 daggers, but you're not putting out as much damage. You're attacking less times with dag/axe, but you have more damage. Now we also would have to put into calculation how many times your attacks missed or how many times you had crit hits. But excluding those variations, dag/axe has a higher dps.

I did the math using lvl 12 weapons I found in the shop. All were blue.

Damage

12 blue Dag - 88/52.8 (offhand)

12 blue sword - 104/62.4 (offhand)

12 blue axe - 114/68.4 (offhand)

Atk spd

2 dag - 2.27

2 sword - 2.67

2 axe - 2.93

Dag/sword - 2.47

Dag/axe - 2.6

Sword/axe - 2.8

Total damage in 30 seconds

2 dag - 1861

2 sword - 1870

2 axe - 1868

Dag(off)/sword(primary) - 1904

Dag(off)/axe(primary) - 1924

Sword(off)/axe(primary) - 1890

In total the dag/axe combo had the highest total damage output, meaning it had a higher dps output (at about 64.14 dps, compared to dual dags at 62.03 dps)

Now like I said, we do have to take into account the accuracy and criticals that are given. Because not many axes have accuracy because they lean more towards critical. But many daggers have accuracy for precision. It all depends on your build I suppose. Personally, I think I'll go either dag/sword or dag/axe. Leaning on dag/sword just because I like the look, and the perks on swords are generally more my playing style than axes.

• 1 month later...