More CHOICE

Jigsaw-PZ

It'd be great to have more choice in the game, there's something about choosing how your story progresses that so enjoyable and satisfying. I remember choosing the outcome of some quest in Langasard which made me want to read the storyline even more afterwards.

Now a days everyone is rushing to level Up as fast as possible, we need something to make the players stop and think.

Examples:

Langasard: This young girl has been cures with a highly contagious disease, if nothing is done it could wipe out half the population of Langasard in a matter of days. You remember hearing a rumors of a warlock hiding in one of the caves near Arina's Farm, perhaps they have the cure, but its only a rumors, we may not have time to verify it. Will you go searching for the cure and risk the lives of many chosen, or will you end the disease here and kill the girl? Hurry, make your decision!

- Kill her:

You take a sharp blade from your bag and walk toward the frail girl. You place your palm over her eyes and strike the dagger into her temple killing her instantly. The black aura that was surrounding her dissipates into the ground, the curse is gone. To this day her family keep searching for her, never knowing the truth, but maybe it's better this way.

- Try to find a cure:

*You go on a quest to find the cure*
Whiles you were out trying to find a cure, the young girl was found by her family and returned to her home. There, the disease spread killing three generations of her family. A few minutes ago, the last of them, her father died, the only word he could uttered before dying was your name  ...But thankfully, you found the cure before the curse could take any more lives.

Melvendil: One of our elder druids has predicted that a great evil, an evil that could destroy all of Melvendil will emerge from within the soul tree. The predictions of the elder druids have always been accurate and they have saved our home from many disasters countless times. But this time its different, if we destroy our sacred soul tree all the magical creatures and plant life in the sparkling wood will perish. No one cannot bring themselves to commit such an act of genocides. As a hero of Melvondil,  you must decide: Destroy the soul tree or try to find a better answer?

- Destroy the soul tree:

One of the druids gives you an enchanted fluid that would catch fire once it comes into contact with the tree, you take it to the springing wood and throw the fluid at the base of the tree. A brilliant blue flame engulfs the soul tree, the fire spreads quickly, burning every leaf on the ancient tree. Hundreds of spirits burst out from atop the tree, burning into nothingness. As the tree dies, all the fairies drop onto the ground. Within seconds everything in sight has turned black, the sparkling wood is dead. 

- There must be a better option:

"Its impossible, i was born to protect not destroy" you think to yourself, "I can't do this". You continue your journey, ignoring the problem. Let an actual hero deal with it. *The evil continues to grow*

Godgorrath: An army of plainsmen and long ears have invaded a small village to the south of Eagle's nest, they've captured many of the villagers including Torvald. We must act quickly, who knows what torturous methods they must be using to retrieve information from him. Take this invisible ink, the enemy have set camp near the destroyed village. We cannot let Torvald reveal any sensitive information that could be used against us, sneak in their camp and kill him before he talks. Make sure you too don't get captured. Will you kill Torvald for the safety of Godgorrath's people or try to rescue him and risk being captured yourself?

- Sneak in and kill Torvald:

You use the invisible ink and sneak into the enemy's camp. In one of the tents you find Torvald's unconscious body tied up by the arms and hanging from the top. You cut the rope and his body drops to the ground. He's still alive. You take out a vile of poison and pour it into his mouth. As he swallows the poison he suddenly regains consciousness, his eyes quickly open and he sees you above him, not knowing what to do you cover his mouth. He shakes, struggling to get up but you hold him down tight, the poison finally takes hold as his eyes close once again. Forever. You sneak out of the camp and report back.

- Sneak in and rescue Torvald:

You use the invisible ink and sneak into the enemy's camp. In one of the tents you find Torvald's unconscious body tied up by the arms and hanging from the top. You cut the rope and his body drops to the ground. You check to see if he's still alive. Suddenly his eyes burst open... for a moment her stares at you, and then lets out a loud scream, he doesn't  recognize you, they've already broken him, his screams get louder and louder. Some paladin hear this and enter the tent, you've been discover you. You try to fend them off but you cannot, both you and Torvald get captured. After days of torture and interrogation you wake up in the woods, they didn't kill you but they killed your pride.

Moraktar: The person, who was thought to have killed you in your previous life has been captured by the House of Decay. They say they will give him to Igor who will use him as a test subject, experimenting to see how much pain the living could endure before they die. You go to talk to Igor and he already know what this person has done to you. Owing you a lot,  Igor says he will allow you to use one of his new creations, the Soul Cage Glove, which will allow you to pull the soul out of the living temporarily. Will you let the person that murdered you suffer in pain and agony until he dies, or will you take his soul for yourself?

- Let Igor Experiment:

Igor allows you to watch as he begins experiment. He injects the person's body with viper's blood, this is prove to heighten the pain sensors of the living. Igor then picks up a serrated knife and places the edge on the skin of the human, with a swift tilt of his wrist he rips the person's flesh and you grin in excitement. His pain brings you pleasure.

- Take his soul for yourself:

Igor accepts and hands you the glove. You slip your hand into it and with a mind of its own, the glove tightens around your hand like a vice. Igor tells you to place finger tips on man's chest. The glove glows bright red and your hand starts to pass through his chest.  You start to feel an object where his heart should be and wrap your fingers around it. With a strong grip you pull out your hand. A bright glowing blue orb sits on the palm of your hand... his soul. You stare at it for a moment amazed by its dazzling beauty. Without thinking twice, you bite into the soul like an apple.... a sharp taste...delicious.

You know what you chose

Edited by Jigsaw-PZ

These aren't any good if they don't affect the outcome. Currently the quests with choices are either "do this or that, it won't matter", "you chose the wrong option, try again" or "do it the easy way or the hard way". A (slightly) different story where the choices would be remembered or even different rewards would be good.

Edited by TheCabbage

These aren't any good if they don't affect the outcome. Currently the quests with choices are either "do this or that, it won't matter", "you chose the wrong option, try again" or "do it the easy way or the hard way". A (slightly) different story where the choices would be remembered or even different rewards would be good.

I thought of suggesting that, but then i realised, the problem with this is that if there is any affect in their choices people won't choose, basic human nature, they would just ask which is the best option to pick, completely defeating the purpose of it.

Too simple.

Make different questlines, not choices! >:)

But this is good nonetheless

It sounds like a difficult task, but if they can do whole questlines based on different decisions then that would be great. It would make for great story telling, but like i said before, people will just ask others what the best decisions/choices are and simply avoid the worst ones and get an easier questline. The suggestion is mainly to make players be engaged and enjoy the storyline a bit more.

Too confusing.

I was going to ask you what was confusing you, but then I realised, if you're not going to bother elaborating on that, then why shold I bother caring. Thx for your input.

I'd like to see this in-game, where choices have actual consequences for the rest of your story.

Could be an idea for Warspear 2 as well.

I thought of suggesting that, but then i realised, the problem with this is that if there is any affect in their choices people won't choose, basic human nature, they would just ask which is the best option to pick, completely defeating the purpose of it.

A good designer doesn't make one option better than other. Or if makes, the better option should also be harder.

Well the old fashioned direct questing is easier and fast. Two or many options waste time but it is irrelevant

you really do sound like alarak for some reason

I also liked the quests the best that had different storylines. Like the chosen quest in which you simply can beat a priest with a chair xD

I also liked quests that interact with the environment. There are so many awesome looking things on every island. I want to do something with that :D Not just see them as decoration. It makes the game world feel less distant. Same goes for jigsaws story quest suggestion.