Game is too hard and complicated for NEWBIE players

benjaminbt

I have recently invited a few of my friends to play Warspear Online, and helped them develop characters. We played while talking on Skype, and I always had to explain what's going on, which actually would have been pretty difficult without skyping.

After three hours of intensive gaming they went offline. For a few days noone was online, and when I asked them if they want to come to play, they said the grapics are cool and so the controls, but understanding the mechanism of the game is VERY hard.

So, they ended up on playing WS after only a few hours, although they are big MMORPG fans, but this was too hard for them. What to upgrade, where to find different things, what weapon to use, how to craft, the system of mobs (normal, strong, etc.), and I could say a couple of ther things they told me they found difficult. 

So here is the suggestion

Make a completely new, detailed tutorial for beginners. They need it, beleive me, more than half of the new players quit cause they don't understand the whole thing. Once I was explaining the game and guiding a player for hours, and never saw him again. You may think "Why? This doesn't bring any profit!" But here is what I say; If instead of 50% of the new players 90% would understand and play the game, there would be more chance they buy Miracle Coins, which means BIG PROFIT!!

I firmly beleive in what I've written down here. Think about it, devs. It is a big opportunity for you. To make PROFITB)

Any comment? 

Edited by BTminBT

Yeah, sort of, an island giving no resources, gold or equip for the real game, replayable as many times as needed. If you complete it well for the first time, you may receive a starter reward. Or something like that.

• Developer

Hello there! It is true that the game is kinda complicated for new players. Maybe it all because it was designed more than 7 years ago and even controls are somehow outdated - yes, it was for Windows Mobile device only a while ago, without that fancy touch displays :)

We are working on a new tutorial, but it's tricky just because noone loves being tutored, so the goal is to find a really nice way to explain core features and make game more understandable for newbies. Actually, some time ago we made beginning of the game easier by reducing requirements in quests on all starting islands.

If you have any nice ideas, feel free to write them here or to me directly and we'll figure out how to make game better!

We do appreciate your desire to help! Thank you!

Hello there! It is true that the game is kinda complicated for new players. Maybe it all because it was designed more than 7 years ago and even controls are somehow outdated - yes, it was for Windows Mobile device only a while ago, without that fancy touch displays :)

We are working on a new tutorial, but it's tricky just because noone loves being tutored, so the goal is to find a really nice way to explain core features and make game more understandable for newbies. Actually, some time ago we made beginning of the game easier by reducing requirements in quests on all starting islands.

If you have any nice ideas, feel free to write them here or to me directly and we'll figure out how to make game better!

We already have the tips and tricks (popup messages when we first do a quest or so). Those are awesome and really help new players out. Maybe you sirs can add a lil' more of those, explaining the main rules of the game or so.

How about having kind of a captian or great 4th wall breaker in every t1 have a departure to tutorial island? And on t1 of the tutorial island you can allways go back.

You can visit the tutorial whenever you want, and it is also told that you can leave anytime you want :)

maybe some troll items only available at tutorial island? :>

Maybe you should add some npc that sells guide book in the beginner place or every player that just started/newplayer get one in their mailbox

Edited by Waltdisney

Maybe you should add some npc that sells guide book in the beginner place or every player that just started/newplayer get one in their mailbox

Rather pick the automail than the sell to guide option. Some players don't know how to buy stuff yet :)

It took me over 3 months to understand every detail of the game and even longer to understand that stuff with accuracy,critical etc. that it plays a role. Warspears is my first mmorpg and if it's even hard for people who have played mmorpgs before warspear, then it's really complicated :)

Rather pick the automail than the sell to guide option. Some players don't know how to buy stuff yet :)

yeah but what if player accidentlly dropped that guide book?,they can buy it from new npc for 5 gold or maybe free :give_rose:

It might be a better option to give a few numbers of guide books about different topics, all listed like the quests?

i pos something about it in suggestion,try to read

Reasonable rewards motivate people to do stuff, as long as their expectations are not killed when they finish the tutorial and realise that rewards afterwards from quests/mobs are crap

Yea, I guess tutorials would help em, and others.

But I did get everything when I started out, dunno

why it's an issue to others, the only prob I can think

of is that they don't understand English etc well.

Thanks, admin! You should make an ingame Warspedia, which would explain all parts of the game. Saw these type of feature in other games, too.

You are also right, people don't usually like to be tutored, same happened to me long ago when I started to play COD 1. There was a tutorial level, and you could only step further if you completed it. I didn't like it..

So keep it up!

Maybe the tutorial island should be completely separated from other islands, like you could try everything, any +10 items, free signs and everything, but it couldn't be brought to the actual game. This is also used in many games, as an opportunity for players to try new things.

Had the same experience,

While teaching some buddies on how to play:

Someone was swiping his screen. (Trying to explore the map.)

Someone was looking for skill tree. (Planning which prerequisite skill must be studied.)

Someone was actually had potential, but nahh.. (She doesn't know how quests work.)

Someone was looking for auto-attack. (Wut?)

Someone said "Oh, it's like the Zelda my dad used to play." (Hmm.. sort of. But no.)

And I thought, maybe Warspear isn't for them.

As Great One Snorly said, the game is outdated.

New Gen players will have a hard time for sure.

In my case, I got the game immediately.

As an old-school RPG player, one must look for "!" to proceed. So it's no sweat.

The tutorial is helpful enough.

Except the players likely ignore them and end up as a level 1 on the last map, killing mobs.

I couldn't think of a better help for this, but the Tutorial Island is indeed a great idea.

1st island is like a tutorial island, but the problem is that it's way too long and it doesn't show anything that comes later. You literally have to wander around the island for 6 hours, without knowing that this game consists of more than 10 people you've met so far and there is actually more after level 12

Edited by Shil

Someone was looking for auto-attack. (Wut?)

I've seen rpgs like that where you just let you char in an area with monster and the char kill them by itself,level up and gather the items that the add drops.

I've seen rpgs like that where you just let you char in an area with monster and the char kill them by itself,level up and gather the items that the add drops.

Of course I know such games myself.

I'm just shocked that time when he thought that WS is a Dungeon-raid based MMORPG nowadays where you miss the actual adventure with the entire environment. It's just not like that, so I was: "Say what?" *chuckles*

• 2 weeks later...

Why, auto-walk is pretty common in games. Or the ability to instant arrive at the place of quest