Vera Nocturna: The Vision of Wisdom

NOTE:

• The story is a bit long so, might as well scroll down directly into the image and leave the reading to the developers / admins / mods, etc.
  • I may break some rules in the game but, I really hope that the developers will allow such idea.
  • The attached images are mine and I used Autodesk Sketchbook Express App with eight ( 8 ) of them.               Don't worry, it's original.
  • Sorry I was using shapes / lines in Paint with the concept drawings, so I cannot emphasize all the details.
  • Don't skip meals, be healthy.
  • Coffee.

STORY:

BALANCE.. It was gone after the War of the Spear. All the factions in the realm of Arinar have done both good and terrible things to bolster their forces. They enhance their wisdom, spells and arsenal for possible advantages against their respective rivals. Arcane experiments, death rituals, faith restoration, life preservation, abominations, all of this are done generation after generation. Out of the awareness of everyone, their deeds created something of great power somewhere out there, out in the reach of people, in the far depths of the sea.. in the Abyss. Formed by the Legion's rejected experiments and waste materials, a handful of flesh and meat covering an odd shard of metal was given a life. Exposed on Harad's Sun, the being hungered for scraps of metal or anything that can conduct heat and devours minerals that have the highest quality. And at night, Nuadu's moonlight shone upon the being, and shockingly protected it instead of sapping the life out of the abomination.
( *clears throat* maybe the being contains a shard of the broken spear.)

The being continues to grow until it is as big as human. In a form of circle and bound with the energies it's collected, its now appearing to be a wisp that is glowing in golden sun's hue and sometimes in sapphire blue, but when it moves, purple darkness covers it too. For a long time, the being wanders the lifeless ruins of the Abyss, until one day..

The factions felt the energy of the being, calling them, luring them, right into the danger of the far seas. They thought that their curiosity will not kill them, making all the factions roam the depths of the fog, straight to the maelstrom of emptiness. But the search falls in vain, the efforts are wasted, casualties are increasing, and so, the possibilities of harnessing the enormous power of the strange energy were now forgotten.. but not with this one man.

The being eagerly waits for someone.. somebody who's heart is filled of both goodness and evil. Someone who possess the traits of both humility and arrogance, patience and anger, forgiveness and vengeance, someone who considers salvation and annihilation as equal. Someone who has "the neutrality".

One day, a man sets up for a sail. He'd need not a ship of war for he will go alone. He'd need not cotton sails nor rigging ropes for the ocean will help him. He'd need not weapons for where he will go contains no enemy. Only his wisdom alone is what he'll carry. Prepared and ready to row his canoe, straight to the fogs he will go. He aims to the centre of the power that he is sensing, listens to the call of curiosity and trust the elements' guiding. Asked the seas and winds into navigating him, and speaks to the voice that lures him. After days of channelling, the man is now in front of the being. Despite the terror and whips of the surroundings, the man stared at the glowing light without flinch. But what he expected doesn't exist, the power is not there, only a wisp a size of his palm with nothing of use. Confused and hungry, the man immediately seals the floating thing and keep it on a concealment vial. Afraid for his life to be taken by the maelstrom of the Abyss, he sailed away to nearest island he had asked the ocean to bring him.

( *clears throat* to where the developers will want to put the boss. )

After the incident, the man is now settling on the strange island where he was cast away. Being wise and aware, he adapts into this land in no time. He even built his laboratory on a secret place where the inhabitants and natives of the island will never have the knowledge of. Time passed, the man performs various experiments upon the being, casting different spells both ancient and recent ones, and deciphering its secrets day after day. But still, he found nothing of value and gave up. One morning, the man was awaken by the brightest light he ever saw. The hand-sized wisp became as large as him and shining with blinding light. Flashes of symbols filled the room.. rune symbols, something the man is familiar into. The being is giving him a clue, it's like somehow talking to him and saying something significant. He immediately deciphered the glyphs, translated the symbols, drew ancient texts and formulas, and the event lifted his spirits again into finding something of worth with the wisp. Weeks had passed and after a long time of studying, the man came up with phrases: "Too much goodness may put darkness into light, a bit of an evil can make things right.. but if the evil was tolerated and made good things into worst, find the light in your heart that is never lost." The man was shocked and tears crossed his cheeks. The thought of memories from where he came flooded his mind. The man packed up his things and gather his valuables. And with one final look at the being, he whispered: "I am not the man I used to be and will never use the power you possess. I may be greedy, but I am also wise, so you cannot fool me." With one wave of his hand, the cave falls apart, and with it.. the buried light.
( *clears throat* the man is probably Berengar. I want it to be him, but devs might think otherwise. )

Years passed and the laboratory was completely abandoned. Something had happened to the man for him to never come back. Yet, in the dark corners of the room, and odd faint light is glowing, must be waiting, calling. One stormy night, escaping the roar of the weather and finding a shelter to save its life, an owl is flying endlessly towards the nothingness of the storm. It's getting cold and its wings are getting weaker, battered and bruised from numerous falling with its fight against the wrath of winds, the owl nearly gave up its life. Suddenly, a strange sound made the owl flap its wings again, something is calling, something out there is luring the owl to safety. A small gap in the crack attracts the bird. It flew towards the darkness with weakening body, and before it reaches the glowing light that is probably a fire that could warm itself in the owl's thoughts, the air it breathes denied its inhalation. With its dying status, the owl stared at the light.. before the life abandoned its body.

The wisp drained the poor owl's soul.. it's first true meal. And with it, the being finally found a resemblance, something it will resemble its appearance from. It collected shards and pieces of minerals, it can finally move and hover around, it has the memories of the fallen owl and saw the world of the living, the way the owl saw the terror and unfairness of life. And with a soul in its possession, the wisp is now literally.. ALIVE.

Garaan's Legion and its rejected experiments thrown in waters of Moraktar brought the odd shard of metal into life with corrupted flesh and bones. Harad's Sunlight blessed the being with power of justice and righteousness. Nuadu's moonlight protected it with peace and nature's powers. A Highlander's curiousity gave it wisdom and awareness. And with it's new found form and abilities, it called itself "Vera Nocturna" and it seeks only one thing.. the first word in the beginning of this story.

( *clears throat* I know, I know, the name is lame. Pssh. )
(But anyway, thanks for reading. Well, that is.. if you got it this far. )
( I'm expecting "DIDN'T READ LOL" memes right now. )

Vera Nocturna and Veracuz.png

SKILLS AND BEHAVIOUR:

( *clears throat* Some of the ideas will break the rule of game mechanics. )

Vera Nocturna became known in all of Arinar. Meeting different factions and their desires, it judges everyone with equal outlook. Even though it possess everyone's power and ability, it remained neutral. Vera Nocturna sees the lesser beings greedy as one another whom only want is own selfish desires.

The Children of Harad wanted to eliminate the being because their faith is offended by the abomination for having their pride as a Chosen stained with powers of darkness.

The Sentinels feared that the being will be corrupted by minions of evil at any moment. Firstborns had the nature of being cautious and didn't trust the goodness and purity of Vera Nocturna for they believe that the being will eventually fall into darkness no matter how big or small its bad energy possesses.

The Highlanders solely rely with their strength, courage and wisdom. To defeat such being will bring them to glory and fame with the promise of great rewards. People in Mountain Clans will honour them and they will make the spirits of their ancestors proud.

The Legion wanted to harness the power of Vera Nocturna and study the secrets behind its ability to possess the Moon and Sun magic together with Dark sorceries. Forsaken faction will not stop until they achieve the great power that will put them in the upper hand.. no matter how substantial the cost of goal is.

1st Breakdown Attempt:
Vera Nocturna will actually be a 2-in-1 boss. The images are attached below this post.

Since Vera Nocturna is a balanced, I need to put possible skills of all factions with it. And since bosses only posses 2 skills, I came up with the idea of having to face one boss with transformation so it can change its abilities.

The first appearance is its Goodness and Righteous features, glowing in sapphire blue as Nuadu and having covered in steel and golden clad as Harad. It will be dealing Magic Damage.

Basic attack - Arcane sphere of Moon or Sun energy cast in helmet. Ranged.

Skills: (Existing)

• Feathers of Justice (Steel Hurricane - Death Knight)
  • Wise Recovery (Healing Dew / Spirit - Druid / Shaman)

(Yes, I want Vera Nocturna to be the first ever healing boss.. well that is, if no boss exists yet.
I want to piss huge amount of players off. *grins* )

Optional:

• Owl's Stare (Scatter Shot - Ranger)

2nd Breakdown Attempt:
If developers will allow original skill to the boss by replacing one, here's my idea..

Original / Signature Skill:

Nocturnal Gaze - As long as the skill is active, Vera Nocturna will automatically target healing classes no matter how huge the damage tank classes dealt. If there are no healers visible within the area, Vera Nocturna will stand idly on the respawn point until the skill ends.
( Props to sir Azebu )

( That's right, I'm looking at you, healers..
What? Lame? Good. It means I'm pissing you off. *smirk* Err.. kidding *smiles* )

( Don't be so cocky healers. If you transfer too late right before this skill is activated, the boss will likely follow you and evade. And if you return too late right before the skill ended, you'll see your tank right next to the respawn statue. *mocking laughter* )

Nocturnal Gaze.png

3rd Breakdown Attempt:

I'm leaving Vera Nocturna's HP amount to the devs, just to make sure it's fair enough.. *chuckles*

When its HP drops to 50%, transformation will trigger. Now you'll be facing its Darkness and Evil features. The sapphire hue will change into purple like Garaan and its shattered scraps will form into hideous monstrosity. It will be dealing Physical damage.

Basic attack - Cuts with sharp wing-like scraps of steel. Melee.

Skills: (Existing)

• Screech of the Dying (Sonic Wave - Blade Dancer)
  • Flight in the Night (Elusive Jump - Rogue)

Optional:

• Daytime Immobility (Stone Body - Warlock)

Original / Signature Skill:

Don't Give A Hoot - Channels its dark powers in front of its helmet and fires a wave of purple energy, covering 3x3 yards around it. Affected targets will be silenced for a moment.

Don't Give A Hoot.png

If ever my attempts are ignored:

1st Attempt, denied: Forget the 2nd form of Vera Nocturna and stick with the Goodness and Righteous features. The sapphire hue of wisp may change into purple upon attacking.
2nd Attempt, denied: Forget the signature skills and apply the given existing ones.

3rd Attempt, denied: Forget the transformation and add the given existing skill to the, supposed to be, 1st form's ability pool as optional.

( Why fight darkness and evil anyway? I'm a Death Knight, a villain.. and villains are always cool. Freakin' heroes, playing good and all that nonsense. Bah! )

And since the bad features are removed, might as well give it a title..
It shall be known as:

"Vera Nocturna : The Vision of Justice"
Oh wait, justice musn't have a vision.. The Vision of Justice

"Vera Nocturna : The Vision of Judgement"
Nahh, judging only by appearance is not a better judgement, I guess.. The Vision of Judgement

"Vera Nocturna : The Vision of Wisdom"
There.. simple, catchy, and it rhymes. Very wise indeed.

LOCATION MAP CONCEPT:

Here's my idea of possible location of Vera Nocturna.
I still have no clue as to where the Developers will put the boss so I'll just share my thoughts.
While travelling through the Boss' Nest / Lair, I had the idea of putting some wisdom on the way.

Before entering the teleportation warp or before the gate opens to another location closer to Vera Nocturna, you have to choose one of these:

• "If you can see clearly in the dark as if there's light, will the faintest spark cause you blind sight?"
  • "Pull me once, shame on you. Pull me twice, shame on me."
  • "Wouldn't you be so thankful that you are free? How about you become a tree?
  • "Early bird catches the worm. Late bird catches the rodent"
  • "If you are facing a serious beating, might as well consider retreating"
  • "A light shackles will become heavy if you'll carry it for eternity."
  • "Forget the outer shell for the insides are already hell."
  • "Which is worse? The sleep that never ends.. or the sleep that never comes?"

The players must choose one upon the selection and they will have the access to proceed.
They will do this three(3) times in certain location before they reach Vera Nocturna.

(Little they know that what they chose are what they'll face..
Because they are actually choosing for the powers of the Wisdom Statues.)

Three Wisdom Statues are placed around the boss. They have a certain radius where their skill will be activated if a target stepped on its parameters. Wisdom Statues will undergo cooldown after using the skills as players. Their skill will be depending on what the player had chosen along the way.

The first choice will be on Statue A, Wisdom Statue A.jpg
The second choice will be on Statue B, Wisdom Statue B.jpg
And the third will be on the Statue C. Wisdom Statue C.jpg

Skills can change if incoming player/s are on the way and chose different wisdom. Aye, a little challenge. And I know it might sound unfair but, I am thinking that these statues are indeed damage traps bearing possible abilities. But if this statues are found being a bit rude, Wisdom statues will only interrupt during the battle if a prey triggers their power while doing no harm to players. Well, it's up to the Developers. 

Location Concept.png

Powers:

"If you can see clearly in the dark as if there's light, will the faintest spark cause you blind sight?"

• Lightning Blast Statue

"Pull me once, shame on you. Pull me twice, shame on me."

• Threads of Darkness Statue

"Wouldn't you be so thankful that you are free? How about you become a tree?"

• Entangling Roots Statue

"Early bird catches the worm. Late bird catches the rodent"

• Earthquake Statue

"If you are facing a serious beating, might as well consider retreating"

• Ancestor's Hand Statue
    (Almost forgot that Vera Nocturna is the one that the statue will pull. The shield effect is not needed.) 

"A light shackles will become heavy if you'll carry it for eternity."

• Fetters of Justice Statue

"Forget the outer shell for the insides are already hell."

• Infection Statue

"Which is worse? The sleep that never ends.. or the sleep that never comes?"

• Nightmares Statue

P.S.
I created most of these quotations and added/changed some words with the original ones.
Credits to the authors.

Well, that's it..
I know some of you will not agree with my idea and even call this BS. But hey, I just want to share my opinion and thoughts to make the game more interesting and fun.
Thanks for dropping by, sire / milady. I will appreciate compliments, try to read all your comments, and take notes of your suggestions.

Sorry for the long post..
Here's a [Velvet Beer]

Hey, you're a minor! Gimme that.
Have this instead.. [sauced Chicken Leg]

What? You're a vegan? Oh, apologies..
Here [Apple Pie with Cinnamon]

Oh, you're allergic to cinnamon?
THEN DEAL WITH IT !

No, I'm not angry.. Ciao!

Gratitude,
Vera_Z

Vera Nocturna - 1st Form.png
Vera Nocturna - 1st Form Concept.png
Vera Nocturna - 2nd Form.png
Vera Nocturna - 2nd Form Concept.png
Vera Nocturna Pencil Sketch.jpg Veracuz and Vera Nocturna.jpg

Edited by Vera_Z

You're funny lol :rofl:

Thanks for the [Velvet Beer] btw ;D

Good one! Nice to see some participants use their names as the bosses' names :D

Well, If you have this chance of being featured in a game.. why not put some signature, right?
As for me, I put my name on it. Hihi  ;D

Wow this is cool. I almost feel bad of my lacking story and drawing ;D This is the best one so far :) I think you will get to the top 5

Wow this is cool. I almost feel bad of my lacking story and drawing ;D This is the best one so far :) I think you will get to the top 5

I'm not so sure myself sire. I'm not even looking forward into that social media thingy. Though I really hope I'm qualified, atleast. *laughs*

Truth be told, I still don't want to decide for possible item reward. "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched."  :blush:

Appreciated, good sir. *salute*

wow bro looks awesome keep up the good work  ;D love the drawings.

I drew my character twice and somehow wanted to show them to you, but it's inappropriate to post them here.

Anyway. thank you, sire.  :blush:

It's an owl.

Instant favorite!

Nope, it's an ancient elemental consisting of a shard of the Spear, flesh, sunlight and moonlight  ;D :P 

But really, it looks like an owl *-*

I'm glad you think so, milady. At least I made its resemblance to an owl close enough successfully *smiles*

Wow, great story

Gratitude, sire. If you'll be able to find error/s within this post, please help me fix it.

Your stay is greatly appreciated. *salute*

really wish you win! good job

Thank you, but let's not keep our hopes up.

Sometimes, Effort and Creativity > Talent.

Many participants are so creative and they really put their best in their work.

In my case, I'm only good with drawing or illustrating which I think is not good enough.

Again, thanks :blush:  

"You may never exist here with me..      Veracuz and Vera Nocturna.jpg     .. But in my heart, you will always be."

Edited by Vera_Z

awesome sketch owen :good:

Actually, that was my older brother.. Verazus (Rogue)

Or you may mistake me too with Veramux (Necromancer), my younger brother.

Aye, there are three Vera in EU-Emerald server that could confuse many players.

Sorry about that.

- Samuel / Veracuz *smiles*

always had the confusion xD iam Biipin btw :P

Holy Owl ?!

I knew it.. *laughs*

Well, the moment I saw that your location is Nepal, I had the feeling you're Biipin.

Anyway, thanks.

Happy Birthday, by the way. *skull-shaped confetti*

Holy Owl ?!

I knew it.. *laughs*

Well, the moment I saw that your location is Nepal, I had the feeling you're Biipin.

Anyway, thanks.

Happy Birthday, by the way. *skull-shaped confetti*

ahaha thnx bro good luck for your entry!

ahaha thnx bro good luck for your entry!

Gratitude! *grin*

May you be blessed with good fortune with Neparhu, too.

how to make such wonderful story?? i have my drawing but i lack the storyline *z* jesssss.... But tbh... ur drawing are superb and above all story are cool... ;)

how to make such wonderful story?? i have my drawing but i lack the storyline *z* jesssss.... But tbh... ur drawing are superb and above all story are cool... ;)

Well, I have a hobby of reading books, sire. I hope that will make sense. *chuckles*

Thanks for the praise!

I'm still learning and I really appreciate things such as praises and stuff.

Don't worry, it won't go over my head.

It'll go directly through my heart.

Gratitude for reading! *smiles*

^O^ Vera is sooo humble (and funny)! Good luck, many likes your art drawing!

Ohh, stop it milady.. *blush*  :blush:

I'm supposed to be intimidating as a Death Knight. *laughs*

Ohh, stop it milady.. *blush* :blush:

I'm supposed to be intimidating as a Death Knight. *laughs*

Lol, don't be shy. It's a fact that you're kinda humble and amusing person :D Just be confident to yourself :)

Ur boss is best here until i think, perfect story, cool drawings, nice skills, Brilliant ideas.. just WOW, i saw u posted it first days of contest start.. u made a cool boss in just few days, its a cool talent man

Ur boss is best here until i think, perfect story, cool drawings, nice skills, Brilliant ideas.. just WOW, i saw u posted it first days of contest start.. u made a cool boss in just few days, its a cool talent man

I'm glad you think so, good sir. Thanks.

With all honesty, I have no intention of participating until my brother, Veramux, persuades me with that look. Arghh! I hate it when he always do that. Now it's on my thoughts again.

Anyway, I'm representing our realm, EU-Emerald, with Vera Nocturna. Hopefully our realm will win this contest and Warspear will feature an EU made boss, even if it's not mine. You know, something to be proud of. *smiles*

Again, thank you.

Gratitude for staying. [Velvet Beer]

(You're not minor right?)

Lol, don't be shy. It's a fact that you're kinda humble and amusing person :D Just be confident to yourself :)

Ah, confidence.

A trait I don't have even in real life.

Oh well, before this get's personal..

My deepest Gratitude to you Lady Livi, I'll try to become confident, worry not.

Here.. [Coviello's Gingerbread]

Forgive the skull, it's my kind of thing.. err, you know. Forsaken Faction? *chuckles*

May the troubled be enlightened after they approach you for aid, Moderator Livi.

I'll take my leave. *salute*

Great story n cool draw. Nice art good luck

Terima kasih !

(I hope I said it right.)

Regards to YinYang *smiles*

I wanted to give you all my deepest gratitude Warriors of Arinar for stopping by and give gaze upon Vera Nocturna.
I followed the conditions of the contest and did my very best to compete with other participants in fair way possible.

I never really aim for the price and even leave the decision of the reward to my brother (Veramux) if ever I made it to top 3.
Because truth be told, I don't expect to win at all.

To all those who supported my work and give praises, I thank you once more. *salute*

Coffee,
Vera_Z

"The wise learn many things from their enemies." - Aristophanes

Edited by Vera_Z

wow you have won my vote bro i love this design soooo much haha   :good:

Thank you, good sir. I'm glad you liked it.

If only I have the time, I'll draw some parts of the story too. *smiles*

Have a great day.

This is probably my last illustration for this contest.
Decide wisely dear Developers!

May all the participants have great fortune with their respective entries.
Gratitude brave ones!

*casts Dark Shield*
qdq4rpH.png?1

P.S.
I'm not good with backgrounds..
Apologies.

Edited by Vera_Z

Great designs, I like them a lot. Nothing over the top, trying hard to be grim and dark, no excessive spikes and edges, I like this kind of style. Kinda resembles a lobster, especially in thumbnails. 

About behavior, I personally dislike bosses who can heal themselves. It only makes the already long fights even longer. If players had skills that can hinder healing, it would be fine, but we sadly don't. You could of course balance it out by giving the boss lower base health, but then it only makes it even easier for big organized groups, while crippling small parties. If that's what you want, a boss that's meant to be taken down by groups of 40 people, then no problem here.

As for the "target healers" ability, it's a good idea to mess with players, but it could be easily countered by healers leaving room just before phase 2, and returning when phase 3 begins. With poor coding, this would end up making the boss stand idly for a while. Personally I'd give him something else to disrupt everyone, but it's your boss, and unique ideas, even if they won't work well, they are still better than the mundane tank and spank for X minutes.

And the statues, one worry. I hope the boss can be fought without activating them all, and they just provide "minor" nuisances like 20% more damage. The boss should be defeatable with just one side present, we're still at war.

As for story, DIDN'T READ LOL. I'm not a great writer so as long as it doesn't have any "ancient evil sitting inside the earth for one million years", or anything equally stupid, it's fine.

Great designs, I like them a lot. Nothing over the top, trying hard to be grim and dark, no excessive spikes and edges, I like this kind of style. Kinda resembles a lobster, especially in thumbnails.

About behavior, I personally dislike bosses who can heal themselves. It only makes the already long fights even longer. If players had skills that can hinder healing, it would be fine, but we sadly don't. You could of course balance it out by giving the boss lower base health, but then it only makes it even easier for big organized groups, while crippling small parties. If that's what you want, a boss that's meant to be taken down by groups of 40 people, then no problem here.

As for the "target healers" ability, it's a good idea to mess with players, but it could be easily countered by healers leaving room just before phase 2, and returning when phase 3 begins. With poor coding, this would end up making the boss stand idly for a while. Personally I'd give him something else to disrupt everyone, but it's your boss, and unique ideas, even if they won't work well, they are still better than the mundane tank and spank for X minutes.

And the statues, one worry. I hope the boss can be fought without activating them all, and they just provide "minor" nuisances like 20% more damage. The boss should be defeatable with just one side present, we're still at war.

As for story, DIDN'T READ LOL. I'm not a great writer so as long as it doesn't have any "ancient evil sitting inside the earth for one million years", or anything equally stupid, it's fine.

You're really good in giving criticism (i meant in a good way) !

His story is also awesome, moreover there are some pauses there with the funny comments written by himself xD not making it boring at all!