Can someone explain the difference between physical and magic dk?

tent

this is a really difficult thing to talk about. Devs seems to be forcing the magical damage dk into existence which i don't have a problem with.

to sum it up, personally i think its better to go with physical damage for tanking and magical for anything else. now what i mean by tanking is mermen dungeon, mythic sea and end game content and raid bosses and that's for the simple reason that going for magical build will hurt ur defensive stats. now don't get me wrong, you still could pull through with magical damage, but it would be much easier with physical damage.

looking at what they did to steel hurricane for example, the skill will deal much more damage with magical build, roughly 75% more damage at all level (based on my own calculations). that means that you could deal 1k damage with 900 physical damage, but could deal the same with merely 500 magical damage or so. to me, this seems like favoritism to magical damage dks and more so will hurt the class itself simply because instead of giving the dk 2 paths to chose from, with similar outcome or 2 paths each for certain reason, they made 1 path seem much, much more appealing than the other. but at the same time, magic damage dk reaching the same amount of damage with less magical damage will allow the dk to tank as good without worrying about his damage a lot

my thoughts are all jumbled and to be honest i'm a bit confused... i need to wait for the test servers to open to make a clearer answer.

Edited by Ogull

57 minutes ago, Ogull said:

this is a really difficult thing to talk about. Devs seems to be forcing the magical damage dk into existence which i don't have a problem with.

to sum it up, personally i think its better to go with physical damage for tanking and magical for anything else. now what i mean by tanking is mermen dungeon, mythic sea and end game content and raid bosses and that's for the simple reason that going for magical build will hurt ur defensive stats. now don't get me wrong, you still could pull through with magical damage, but it would be much easier with physical damage.

looking at what they did to steel hurricane for example, the skill will deal much more damage with magical build, roughly 75% more damage at all level (based on my own calculations). that means that you could deal 1k damage with 900 physical damage, but could deal the same with merely 500 magical damage or so. to me, this seems like favoritism to magical damage dks and more so will hurt the class itself simply because instead of giving the dk 2 paths to chose from, with similar outcome or 2 paths each for certain reason, they made 1 path seem much, much more appealing than the other. but at the same time, magic damage dk reaching the same amount of damage with less magical damage will allow the dk to tank as good without worrying about his damage a lot

my thoughts are all jumbled and to be honest i'm a bit confused... i need to wait for the test servers to open to make a clearer answer.

I didn't know it was this complicated. Was just a bit nervous to build this class as a magic tank around a skill that gets resisted once in a while.

Good luck with your upcoming test sessions though! 

2 hours ago, tent said:

I didn't know it was this complicated. Was just a bit nervous to build this class as a magic tank around a skill that gets resisted once in a while.

Good luck with your upcoming test sessions though! 

Magic Damage became an important part of the build of a DK. In particular when it comes to a kinda new way to tank. Since quite a bit now, Magic Damage is allowing DK to follow the path of "the best defence is the attack". Reaching a moderately high ammount of magic dmg, in fact, grants you the use of AoE skills such as Curse of Knight or Sharp Shadow at their fullest. 

This new update grants us the possibility to go for a permanent use of Saturation with no costs of HPs: this is maybe one of the best gain DKs have got. They are officially the Vampire Class of this game, capable thus to reach a tremendous ammount of Life Steal permanently and without the use of very expensive books. Magic damage, furthermore, allows you to tank several mobs thanks to the AoE strenght it gifts DKs: combined with Life Steal, it allows DK not to die if seized by several mobs, independently of their strenght, but only if they won't resist skills such as - indeed - Curse of Knight

And here we start with the cons of this build. It's basically slow. Appropriate for a tank but not suitable for 1vs1 PvPs or eventually against bosses such as Orcinus. 1h maces make the class not use the strenght Magic Damage gives the DK to its fullest, thus I - for now - wouldn't advise to use such maces. Though, it surely grants you more def. It suffers a lot the Resist Parameter (this until our beloved devs decide that it's time to make our skills not dependent on resist, especially if they plan to nerf them heavily and not to reduce their cooldown in any way.)

That being clarified: would I advice a Magic Damage set?

Answer: absolutely yes (now).

Pros:

•Relatively Cheap to get

•Very High Damage output against crowd of enemies

•Capability to use the Combo Satu + Sharp Shadow at its best (and trust me, its totally worth it)

•Very High affinity with Life Steal, easy stat to achieve (now) for DKs

Cons:

•It depends on the enemy's resist. Should you resist some skills, the strenght of the build decreases by 40%~

•Inefficient in 1vs1 PvPs 

•Incapacity to endure very high damage (high risk to be one shot by very strong enemies - thing which is now being controlled thanks to the future buff to Secret Reserves)

•Pretty useless if you're stunned/your cooldown gets increased due to some debuff, as it's a very slow build. 

3 hours ago, tent said:

build this class as a magic tank around a skill that gets resisted once in a while.

Personally, i would not build an entire dk around a core skill that could easily be negated/resisted both in PvP and PvE. but that's just me :cat2:

but that's the only problem with mdmg dk, if devs decided to make the fire un-resistable then i would recommend mdmg dk 100%

1 hour ago, Ogull said:

Personally, i would not build an entire dk around a core skill that could easily be negated/resisted both in PvP and PvE. but that's just me :cat2:

but that's the only problem with mdmg dk, if devs decided to make the fire un-resistable then i would recommend mdmg dk 100%

just as the curse can be resisted, the sharp shadow is even worse, it can be blocked, parry or dodged, magic dk depends on some rng unfortunately, and your biggest problem is that you need to do damage constantly to stay alive, meaning that being under the effect of a stun, silence or some other effect can be fatal.