Ethereal barrier analysis and why it needs a buff😉

Pr0f

I have made separated post to discuss ethereal barrier current status, I am not well experienced in PvP so I will exclude it and talk only about PvE (excluding T5 or ST because I live on the Surfaces).
Ok let's start with the discrepition, let's take it on 4/4 (max potential)

"Uppon receiving damage more than 10% of maximum Health, in 2s the character receives a definitive barrier. The barrier absorbs 100% of damage received in 0.6s. The barrier removed upon receiving damage or after 10s.
Can't trigger more often than once every 4sec".

I saw russian forum and it's 0.55s duration for barrier (I wouldn't complain about 0.05s)
This 0.6s absorb any kind of damage, usually it's 1 hit absorption.

So, as you know Sun armor increase defense of mage by 50% permanently even with 0 CD build
Max physical defense I have seen pve mage with: 10K physical defense (including guild buff, wearing +10 green def enchantments).
And 10k def = 30% pure solidity (no gear bounce). guild buff is +6% + 1 solidity rune it will become 40% solidity (Max solidity is 50%).
Congratulations mage you have achieved 80% of the max possible solidity in game. But guess what, this 40% solidity will defect Eth barrier Job since no more critical hits to u😉, even if mage get crit it will be (200% crit - 40% of it = 120% for crit hit, I am sure about the calculation)

*max solidity applying: 200% crit - 50% = 100% (normal dmg)* That's why max solidity is 50% other wise crit will be lower damag lol
10k is around 55% def, so mage so solid now, recieving 10% of HP in 2s not gonna happen easy.
Average pve mage Hp is in range 4 -> 4.5K Hp, 10% of it is 400 -> 450.
My Hp is 5k and eth barrier is 3/4, trust me it never works lol, I see it once in every 1 or 2 Dozens of hits.
So if you use sun armor this will defect your eth barrier.
1/4 eth barrier have you from determined death like a quester getting bullied by rouge, giving you a second chance to do something.
Old ethereal barrier even on 1/4 used to avoid 1 hit every 6 hits i guess (compare it to current one that's never works).
So, those are some recommendations for ethereal barrier buff sorted from pro to not suitable solution:-
1\ reduce the requirement for the ethereal barrier, same % of HP in higher duration 4 -> 6 secs.
2\ lower the requirement for eth barrier to work ( lower % of Hp) about 6% or 7% on 4/4 (for example).
3\ since Sun armor and more def you get defect eth barrier, it have to count the damage received naked *before def reduction*.

Those solutions will not effect pvp side a lot but will make it better pve.
Other solutions like last longer than 0.6s isn't a solution because it doesn't work in first place.
I didn't touch the 4s CD for barrier because it will be more powerful PvP and still not work PvE.

+1/4 have to work somehow.

I tried as much as possible to keep it make sense buff.
Thanks for your time.

Yea it needs to be changed again imo.

I actually just keep it 1/4 in PvE as it seems to "help" exactly as much as at 4/4.

I do see it work though, it's just a really weird skill. It doesn't even properly protect against burst damage (if you take 600 dmg 20 times in 0.1 sec barrier will not activate)

My suggestion would be more like this

During combat the mage receives a barrier every X seconds, every X% of health lost causes the barrier to appear X second(s) faster. Then either one of these Blocks one hit(?)/Makes a shield(?)/Blocks all hits within 0.X sec(?).

This would allow mage to use the shield even in boss fights when not tanking, if the mage takes indirect damage.

11 hours ago, rafa9876 said:

Yea it needs to be changed again imo.

I actually just keep it 1/4 in PvE as it seems to "help" exactly as much as at 4/4.

I do see it work though, it's just a really weird skill. It doesn't even properly protect against burst damage (if you take 600 dmg 20 times in 0.1 sec barrier will not activate)

My suggestion would be more like this

During combat the mage receives a barrier every X seconds, every X% of health lost causes the barrier to appear X second(s) faster. Then either one of these Blocks one hit(?)/Makes a shield(?)/Blocks all hits within 0.X sec(?).

This would allow mage to use the shield even in boss fights when not tanking, if the mage takes indirect damage.

I didn't think about total rework it, this one sounds better lol

Edited by Pr0f

the magician's barrier is a skill with a focus on pvp, after all, a magician already has a basic skill that works to increase his defense, and make him receive less damage.
considering the pvp, the mage barrier is a very good skill, activates relatively easily and can even protect the mage from multiple hits.
for pve, mages are not tanks, so the barrier is just an extra protective skill. however, in pve, it is more valuable to increase the defense and robustness of the solar armor. this if you want to do solo content. in a group it's much more valuable to level up your damage skills;

On 12/13/2021 at 6:27 AM, Rhaast said:

the magician's barrier is a skill with a focus on pvp, after all, a magician already has a basic skill that works to increase his defense, and make him receive less damage.
considering the pvp, the mage barrier is a very good skill, activates relatively easily and can even protect the mage from multiple hits.
for pve, mages are not tanks, so the barrier is just an extra protective skill. however, in pve, it is more valuable to increase the defense and robustness of the solar armor. this if you want to do solo content. in a group it's much more valuable to level up your damage skills;

I don't know about pvp that much but for me barrier 1/4 or 4/4 is same XD

I tested the barrier on 4/4 before I change my build, if I am facing something with high solo dmg like bosses or mobs in t5, the barrier is op, ignore 50% of the dmg (unless you bleeding or getting hit by ads lol).

After this new rebalance I have made up my mind I will make the barrier 1/4 lol, roaring flame and overload sounds better.