First impression: Holy collection quests, Batman!

GoodbyePK

Before anything else: this game is absolutely beautiful. The visuals are the primary hook that got me to start up. Gameplay is smooth and simple, with very few annoyances so far (like waiting for the looting option on a kill). Overall, I very much feel the intended retro style and I love it. I've played some hours and I'm level 5. I chose Deathknight, because I like to tank with sword and shield, and he looked the tankiest. I wasn't concerned with which side to play for (not sure if that's a consideration to make anyway).

I hate collection quests. Doesn't matter what game it is. Even my favorite games bore me with them. Needless to say, I'm already bored. I think about logging on, and all I hear in my mind is "Find me 10 things....find me 10 things..." I'm confident the game gets better than this, but I'm already feeling desperate for it. Collection quests are usually made better by experience gains and money/item drops from the monsters defeated in the process. However, this game so far has bundled small amount of those into the quest completion and removed them from the combat. Wha!? So, the reward for defeating a monster is... it stops chasing me? No gold? No XP? I'm thus given incentive to sneak around monsters that I don't have a particular reason to kill. Lame.

I can understand maintaining a certain pace for players. I can understand balance in terms of loot handouts. What I can't understand is why the meat and potatoes of the fantasy RPG genre is so blatantly missing from this game. Are there not ways to gain XP aside from finishing quests? Are there not ways to farm gold aside from filling my inventory with monster parts and selling at 1 per (and proper gold sinks to spend it on)? Are there dynamic loot drops at all? After gaining 5 levels, a character should feel like it has grown stronger and made noticeable progress in its career. I'm not feeling that at all.

To be fair, grinding for gold and XP is not always a great time either. I've been bored by repetitive boss/dungeon runs in some games. However, those games had many pursuit choices, which all aligned side by side. In this game so far, it has been at least 90% filled with "go get X of a thing" or "take X of a thing and deliver them." The more interesting quests were short, few and far between, and left me wanting.

I want to kill monsters for profit and build a unique character. Can I do that here? If so, please please please help me learn. I want to love this game!

Yep, you have stated most of the downfalls of this game if it is not to your liking, and you will definitely find more as you progress. But it has it's own uniquenesses for such a simple game, taking note of its availability and such a low data loss for an online game of this quality.

Sure, it needs more content, which in time it will as it develops.

Right now, it's quests such as these collection types, with a handful of kill requests, but do mind that it has a wonderfully in depth storyline. Once you gain levels it does get quite redundant, but you may find your pleasures elsewhere once established.

You have arena, wars ( if successfully instigated ), hunting the opposing factions, going on boss hunts, dungeon grinding and the social aspect may appeal to you also.

Over time, more content is being added, but hopefully they will concentrate on side content soon and add more quality to this game.

Just a day later, but I've put in enough more thought and play time to continue here. I'm obviously still a shiny noob, so please correct me as you see fit.

Like many, one of my favorite series of games is TLoZ. I've changed my mindset to see WSO (is that the accepted acronym?) similar in play style to the original LoZ adventurer. This has helped me get over the the lack of material gains for monster slaying. Rupees are replaced by selling monster drops. Dungeons and their new items are replaced by quests and rewards. In both, you generally avoid monsters unless the task at hand requires otherwise. I'm starting to get used to this.

I am still dismayed by the quest system, however, and now additionally by the lack of exploration and puzzle solving. The gameplay is rather mindless. In the dialogue for quests, you are usually told to "find" something, but are not given the opportunity to look for it. The game just tells you where it is. The most egregious example I've seen yet is when you bring the talking skull to the bandaged tree and are told to find the remains in a hole "somewhere nearby." It's 3 squares away with a giant quest marker that just appeared over it. The mini-story was cute (though cliche), but the execution was just insulting. A game with no challenge isn't much of a game.

As to exploration, I am very disappointed. There is no reason to explore, especially when every wilderness cell is filled with quickly respawning treasureless monsters that chase you. You can't advance your character without an active quest, there is nothing to "discover," and with quest markers holding my hand from start to finish, there's no reason to learn the map. While you technically can explore, all you gain is more travel time. For such a great looking game, this is truly a shame. When the game is not telling you exactly what to do, there is nothing to do. Of course, this comes from a single player PvE playstyle right now, so take it as you will. My position, however, is that taking inspiration from such an iconic era of gaming, then trashing everything besides the art, makes me feel I was lied to before downloading.

I would hope that the storyline is compelling, and trust that approaching LoTR for word count is something other than arbitrary. Unfortunately, character advancement comes in the form of grinding collection quests, so if there is any story in it, it's lost on me... because I'm grinding collection quests. I barely skim the text because I want to level up and I know the game will just tell me where to go. Sure, I love a good story; but if I have to pick 10 bugs off of every cookie before I can eat it, well, I'm just not gonna enjoy the cookies very much.

So, here's the funny thing: I'm going to keep playing. The structure of this game is desperately screaming with potential, and I can't walk away from the best mobile gaming experience I know this could be if given the proper direction. Mechanical customization, like advanced skills and what crafting will do, are excellent steps. I don't know enough about the game yet to thoroughly understand what impact crafting may have, but the addition of decision based complexity in any form is paramount. It's nice to have so many classes to choose from, but each character of a class should have options to differentiate (aka, the antipathy of the current homogenizing quest system). I certainly hope that by max level, I am noticeably different than other deathknights, aside from just how I look.

I am very much looking forward to PvP and the social side of the game. I just recently became more interested in PvP gameplay in general, and the casual pace of this game I think will keep the stress of it minimal. I haven't figured out yet how to join a guild (nor what they're for aside from another chat string). Hopefully the social aspects are as welcoming as the game itself.

And to any guild I may join, if I have to collect 10 of anything to get in, I'm out.  ;D

Sounds like this topic would be something that you would support: Collectables & mini games

And to any guild I may join, if I have to collect 10 of anything to get in, I'm out.  ;D

What server?

I completely agree with you. It is ridiculous that we do not gain XP from killing monsters. One thing you must note is that you chose the Forsaken faction which has some of the harder and more tedious quests. I also get bored very easily with repetitive quests, which is why I chose the Elf faction, which has easy quests. You are not the first person to complain about this, nor will you be the last.

Unfortunately, the developers of this game are notorious for ignoring good suggestions from the players, and it is a well known fact that they are extremely greedy; putting money before the welfare of their players.

If you want to earn gold without spending any real money, then you need to get to map 2, where you can start farming. Until you get to level 12, you are stuck on map 1.

However, do not let this put you off. The game becomes much more exciting as you get to map 2; you can hunt down the enemy factions; complete dungeons for rewards; do daily quests or farm bosses. In fact, you can stay in a particular level band (either: 4-6; 7-10; 11-14; 15-18 or 19-20) for doing arena.

With regards to your query on being "noticeably different", the ways to stand out are by amplifying your gear (VERY expensive at higher levels, especially if you do not spend real money) or by getting top ranks in the arena.

Guilds are more than just chat strings; you earn Guild Points (by doing quests or winning in arena) and with guild points the leader or heirs of the guild can study guild skills and level the guild up (you can search for more information about guilds on the forum).

Crafting has not yet been implemented in the game.

The game has other flaws too (what bugs me most are the grammatical errors in the quest dialogues) and if you do change Factions from Forsaken to Elf, bear in mind that the Elf society is greedy, unhelpful and riddled with scammers.

I hope I helped you in some way.

I'm Lightbane on the US realm.

If achievements are not already part of the game, call me surprised. Achievements are the bread and butter of much of the mobile marketplace. They are addicting, generally expected, and easy to capitalize on. (And now I've reached my limit of food metaphors. :-P )

I don't generally buy into the "greedy devs" argument; they are part of a business and only function if they can make money to do so. I've probably heard some form of that gripe in every F2P microtransaction game I've tried. I used to play Parallel Kingdom religiously ("used to" as they've announced the beginning of the end, hence my name), and it was no exception. Unless there is some specific example of a time that something reasonable and important to the players was ignored only because it would mean less money for the company, I find there's not much to support the position.  Personally, I feel the artful reverence to the 8-bit gaming era is worthy of my three dollars. And if they have the right hooks to snag me with otherwise, perhaps even more. This game is clearly doing well by it's player base, according to the size of it anyway.

I hadn't read enough yet to know some of the things here, so I do appreciate the help. That there is a second map to which I will eventually graduate does give me hope. I'll consider what I'm doing now an extended tutorial leading up to the tasty bits. I certainly hope to find a friendly guild, and I like that game mechanics are inclusive to them. This is a very active forum, so I've some catching up to do. I think that I now plan to is evidence enough, at least to myself, that I'll be sticking around.

Wow, Goosbyepk. You really hit the nail of the head with som of those things.

And the second island, Irselnort, is a pretty exciting place. There is a lot of cool content there. (Even though the evil fetch quests are there too). Still remember when I killed my first lil' elf.....ahh, that was so awesome.

So, guys, I'll try to answer some of the questions that were made, and feel free to ask more, if that's the case.

About mobs and bosses not giving exp and gold, the main reason is to prevent bots. Yes, questing might get boring with the time, but the game would be completely ruined if there were thousands and hundreds of bots farming gold out there. Besides, there's a level limit (20 for now, might be increased when they release the new island, Ayvondil, this year still). So if you were able to reach lvl 20 in two days, without much to do in the end game, you'd get bored much faster, trust me.

You're the kind of player that is going to completely LOVE Norlant Swamps. You get teleported to random locations, game doesn't tell you what you must do or where to go, and it's pretty challenging.

About guilds, you can level up certain guild skills, passives and actives, such as more % def, mdef, more hp, energy, arena points gained and so on. And there are guild tournaments every 15 days, which gives us something to do all the time.

I'm glad you're giving the game a chance, you won't regret it, I hope :)

"Challenging" is a keyword I was hoping to hear somewhere, so I do look forward to Norlant. That sounds like the place I want to be (assuming there is reward for that challenge).

I would guess the gameplay was not specifically designed to counter botting, given the absence of other typical rpg aspects such as exploration, optional side-questing, and the ability to choose the difficulty of play in terms of when to tackle a particular obstacle. Besides, as I understand it, there already exists an amount of grinding for valuable monster drops which could be botted.

I now look even more forward to joining a guild. How do I do that?

I realized today what specifically was bothering me about the lack of exploration: flavor text outside of questing. There are so many NPCs everywhere, but none of them talk to you except when active for a quest. It's bad enough that there is nothing to accomplish by venturing ahead of where the game tells you to go, but you can't even interact with what you find. Not even for flavor. It's starting to feel like the devs had an idea for a gameplay experience, then arbitrarily decided on a graphical style, and marketed the game on a false expectation by exploiting the feels of gaming past-times. I'm over it, of course, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The screenshots sold me on hopes of Dragon Quest/LoZ/Crystalis/Final Fantasy/etc., but the game delivered an elaborate hunt-and-peck.

As I continue to learn what the game actually is, and not what it claimed to be, I continue to change my mindset to accommodate it. It is indeed a well built game, and, though not what I was initially looking for, something I am enjoying. I am still looking for the true mobile rpg experience I want, but this one has certainly made it to my "active games" directory.

I suppose I do have a question at this point. Let's say I've done all my daily routines; I'm caught up on quests, messages, and other responsibilities. In a typical rpg, after wondering what to do, I might think to go run a dungeon. In that dungeon, I would expect to find tactical battles with groups of monsters, leading up to a boss fight, and ending with victorious treasure worthy of the effort. Does WSO have that? If not, does it have something to fit that dynamic? Otherwise, what do I do when I'm wondering what to do?

The game has other flaws too (what bugs me most are the grammatical errors in the quest dialogues) and if you do change Factions from Forsaken to Elf, bear in mind that the Elf society is greedy, unhelpful and riddled with scammers.

so much true , no matter what server is  ;D 

once mcs, forever mcs :diablo:

"Challenging" is a keyword I was hoping to hear somewhere, so I do look forward to Norlant. That sounds like the place I want to be (assuming there is reward for that challenge).

I would guess the gameplay was not specifically designed to counter botting, given the absence of other typical rpg aspects such as exploration, optional side-questing, and the ability to choose the difficulty of play in terms of when to tackle a particular obstacle. Besides, as I understand it, there already exists an amount of grinding for valuable monster drops which could be botted.

I now look even more forward to joining a guild. How do I do that?

I realized today what specifically was bothering me about the lack of exploration: flavor text outside of questing. There are so many NPCs everywhere, but none of them talk to you except when active for a quest. It's bad enough that there is nothing to accomplish by venturing ahead of where the game tells you to go, but you can't even interact with what you find. Not even for flavor. It's starting to feel like the devs had an idea for a gameplay experience, then arbitrarily decided on a graphical style, and marketed the game on a false expectation by exploiting the feels of gaming past-times. I'm over it, of course, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The screenshots sold me on hopes of Dragon Quest/LoZ/Crystalis/Final Fantasy/etc., but the game delivered an elaborate hunt-and-peck.

As I continue to learn what the game actually is, and not what it claimed to be, I continue to change my mindset to accommodate it. It is indeed a well built game, and, though not what I was initially looking for, something I am enjoying. I am still looking for the true mobile rpg experience I want, but this one has certainly made it to my "active games" directory.

I suppose I do have a question at this point. Let's say I've done all my daily routines; I'm caught up on quests, messages, and other responsibilities. In a typical rpg, after wondering what to do, I might think to go run a dungeon. In that dungeon, I would expect to find tactical battles with groups of monsters, leading up to a boss fight, and ending with victorious treasure worthy of the effort. Does WSO have that? If not, does it have something to fit that dynamic? Otherwise, what do I do when I'm wondering what to do?

Dungeons, "instances" is exactly what you have described above, though with 3 difficulties. I have added your char to my friends list. When and if i see you on i'll message you asking if you need any help, maybe speed up a little bit of the long beginning to the full game experience  O:-) if you'd like you can add me on the game US sapphire, legion side. My name is "Urdeadhaha"-level 20 shaman;I can help you with killing bosses/mini bosses/mobs, Etc.. My hopes is you play this game without giving up like i almost did when i first started. I'm telling you, it would be a mistake, you'd miss out on one knarly experience  :clapping:

Im going to state my opinion on this topic.

Forsaken island takes a quite a bit of time. If you want a quick way to the second island (which is where the good stuff is) then do elves or mountain clan. The montain clan have the barbarian which is good with a sword and shield. The elves island takes about 3 days to complete if your on for 2-3 hours each day (6-9 hours in total, depending on if you have help or not)

Once you get to the second island at level 12, the fun begins.

There is constant PvP on this island. The two factions can go to the others terrirtoty and start an all out war while youre in the middle of a quest. You can go on raids with friends and attack ending terrirtoty, explore the many dungeons and instances that await you or just go do some quests.

To wrap it all up, I would say keep playing until your lvl 14-15. Then decide on how you like the game.

The fo

Firstborn is the by far easiest faction to lvl, only about 2-3 annoying quests. Mc and Forsaken are tough for different reasons and those are that mc has alot of fighting and forsaken has alot of walking back an forth which makes quests a hell of alot more long and boring with very little xp given for the quests. Chosen is the hardest because it has alot of fighting and alot of walking with almost no xp given for long quests.

If it is ur first i'd recommend Firstborn or MC because they are the quickest. Not only that but they also have some of the best characters: Druid, Ranger, Shaman. There's also bd which is the best melee. These days the only really good characters on Chosen and Forsaken are Priest and maybe necro.

So have you left already.. ? I don't know why but your sentences of the game were excellent and actually what I have been looking for.. Thank you for re-thinking the game properly.. Might give you +1 karma for just helping my corrupted mind out of game's "greedynes"..

It sounds like my class choice has rendered me unlucky, as it were, having picked one of the more tedious classes to start with. I'm not really interested in starting over with another character, nor managing multiple characters for that matter, but I am sticking with the game. Everyone seems to be in agreement that the good parts of the game come after the early single-player segment, so I'm continuing to grind through a few quests a day, with confidence that the time spent will be well worth it. It still just pains me to feel the need to force myself to play a game I'm not currently excited about, in hopes that I eventually will be.

In another way of looking at this, I'm bewildered that so many players made it through the early part of the game and still play. As everyone agrees that the game is finally fun only after a gauntlet of mindless repetitive tasks, how did so many players persevere? I can't say I know much about mobile gaming user statistics or demographics, but I'd generally presume that players looking for a questing rpg demand more depth and players looking for tap-dancing on their screen demand a faster pace. This game is slow and shallow. Did everyone else take part in discussions like this to be convinced to keep playing? I certainly mean no offense to the game; it is clearly popular and I'm not ignoring that. Am I just part of a tiny minority?

Anyway, I am still here (and with thanks to all of you giving me faith). Please say hi if you see me in game.  :drinks:

It sounds like my class choice has rendered me unlucky, as it were, having picked one of the more tedious classes to start with. I'm not really interested in starting over with another character, nor managing multiple characters for that matter, but I am sticking with the game. Everyone seems to be in agreement that the good parts of the game come after the early single-player segment, so I'm continuing to grind through a few quests a day, with confidence that the time spent will be well worth it. It still just pains me to feel the need to force myself to play a game I'm not currently excited about, in hopes that I eventually will be.

In another way of looking at this, I'm bewildered that so many players made it through the early part of the game and still play. As everyone agrees that the game is finally fun only after a gauntlet of mindless repetitive tasks, how did so many players persevere? I can't say I know much about mobile gaming user statistics or demographics, but I'd generally presume that players looking for a questing rpg demand more depth and players looking for tap-dancing on their screen demand a faster pace. This game is slow and shallow. Did everyone else take part in discussions like this to be convinced to keep playing? I certainly mean no offense to the game; it is clearly popular and I'm not ignoring that. Am I just part of a tiny minority?

Anyway, I am still here (and with thanks to all of you giving me faith). Please say hi if you see me in game.  :drinks:

The reason that I and many other players played through the first starting island is due to the in-depth story, the friends who helped us along, and how most of us started out on the easier islands. The forsaken and chosen factions were were added in an update about a year ago. After finishing the beginner island and expiencing the more entertaining higher levels, those players went back and tried out both forsaken and chosen classes just for something different. There is also tons of updates that got the game even more interesting.

I recently added you and saw you were lvl 9. You are close to the end of the beggining area (which ends at lvl 12) I would saythat you only need to play maybe 4-5 more days and you should be done.

Once you get to the next island, the mainland, you will have the chance to build relationships with the higher lvl players and join the good guilds.

And make sure you use your free arena tickets daily to get that valuable arena points which can be spent at the arena shop. Make sure you request a 2v2 match because you won't get any games requesting 3v3 or 5v5, as because not many players are low lvl. Once you are lvl 15, or possibly lvl 10, you can request

5v5 which rewards you more.

Trust me, once you're leveled up and well experienced in the game, map 1 will be yet just another chore to leveling another character up. You won't find it near at bad as it was when you first started.

heres what i do about every 40 mins, every day, every hour

http://youtu.be/1JLkuyLcu5A

oh and heres a video of me streaming norlant swamps (and getting the highest level leather armor in the game twice in a row which is unheard of)

http://youtu.be/9syrqo7abuk

• 2 months later...

Back again. All the walking and collecting burned me out and redirected my interests for a while (to games that are fun in the beginning).

I think I have finally finished through the first island quests aside from 6 bosses, and I am level 12. I plan to attempt some of the earlier bosses myself, but will obviously need help for the later ones. What is the best way to find and join a guild? I figure I'm most likely to find someone online to help that way.

As I read more through the forum, it seems the majority consensus is that DK is one of the worst, if not the very worst, classes to play. I had done a couple arena battles and can clearly see the gripes with their lack of pvp capability. They're slow, some skills are useless, and damage is weak. I would guess that DK is more useful in bigger group battles, as it is a tank, but in 1v1 and 2v2 they just lose while they stand in place and swing occasionally. As I have an interest in the pvp, did I ultimately waste my time with this game? I usually tank when a game gives that option, but tanks in other games are much more interesting than sharp rocks, and have ways of handling 1v1+. I'm hoping to hear either that I'm just doing it wrong, or that there are plans to change this.

In any case, what do I do to go to the next island, and how should I get started there? I'm ready for the fun to start.

Aww dont sell DK's short. My lvl14 arena partner is a DK and she tanks everything, such a perfect partner for my rogue.

As for finding guilds...

There is plenty of guilds whom occasionally call for new members via world chat. They may not be the best option, being random people grouped up together, but it will give you the chance to meet people.

Or you could browse the guilds in the guilds section of forum, and attempt to apply with them.

To find the perfect guild, be it now or further on, is best consisted of friends and/or like minded players.

I know its off topic...but I am recruiting for my guild atm and I think you would be a great addition..i understand your new but you're obviously not an idiot and I can tell will go far in this game that is full of idiots lol...Ive added you as a friend and will contact u ingame...all of my characters are listed in signature feel free to pm. Also if you would like to read about our guild and get to know it a little bit visit our webpage that is still a work in progress lol wearelegacy.guildlaunch.com

I know its off topic...but I am recruiting for my guild atm and I think you would be a great addition..i understand your new but you're obviously not an idiot and I can tell will go far in this game that is full of idiots lol...Ive added you as a friend and will contact u ingame...all of my characters are listed in signature feel free to pm. Also if you would like to read about our guild and get to know it a little bit visit our webpage that is still a work in progress lol wearelegacy.guildlaunch.com

send him a pm

• 2 weeks later...

I found where to go the second island. I've been wandering around aimlessly for a few days and have no idea what to do. There are no points of interest showing on the map (no question or exclamation marks anywhere). I understand there are daily quests here; how do I find them? I never got a quest telling me to go to the next island; do I need to complete all the first island quests before I can do anything on the second? It's been so tedious and boring to get this far; I hope I didn't just waste money and time and have to go backwards.

I found where to go the second island. I've been wandering around aimlessly for a few days and have no idea what to do. There are no points of interest showing on the map (no question or exclamation marks anywhere). I understand there are daily quests here; how do I find them? I never got a quest telling me to go to the next island; do I need to complete all the first island quests before I can do anything on the second? It's been so tedious and boring to get this far; I hope I didn't just waste money and time and have to go backwards.

next time, watch the map. if im right, there is a quest which will lead you to irselnort

Four months later, and I'm finally questing on Irselnort!  :yahoo:

It was a painful expedition of mindless tedium, multiple hiatuses, starting and quitting a bunch of other games, getting nowhere in chats, and eventually circling back to get this bloody thing moving in the right direction. After rewatching some gameplay videos and rereading a bunch of guides, I can finally see the light. I suppose I was a bit naive in my expectations at first; "grind" is part of the company name. :-P

I'm confident that now being released to the open world will take the sting out of the mundane and tedious quests. Seeing more than one person every 10 minutes is quite refreshing. Hopefully, I can find a guild in which I'm a good fit and focus more on the pvp, which I've been pining for all along.

I expect to be online much more often now. Do say hi if you see me. Or after you kill me. Either way, it'll be a good time.  ;D