Dark shield success chance

tamoae

Only the people at Aigrind know the % rates, maybe some of their friends too. Bcaz of some reason they keep a lot of things secret. But I am sure a pro dk can give you a approximately answer.

Ooooor you could search around the Deathknight's board and find your answer, or even use the search function...

i done some research a long time ago, almost through all the posts. if not all...

if i not mistaken, bloody said it was around 25%.

but that was what he found through some testing...which is not necessarily the correct %.

in my opinion chance is lower than that...

i was hoping to get some official values, but i guess is a secret as deltaman said.

what got me curious again was seeing that expert shaman skill work quite a lot, it seens their skill activates a lot more often than dark shield. (even tho dark shield have its rare glorious moments of activation)

Knowing Bloody, his value is accurate by 100% of really close to accurate value. He did count in everything to make results.

Official values won't be given, indeed.

Lightning Shield is a different skill though, we can't compare

we kinda can compare the activation %  :blush: or could if had some official values...

ik he does a pretty good job with statistics about dk in this game, but seens chances are actually lower.

on game experience i would bet around 15%, a little more or less.

like when u see a bd with high parry, that thing works like magic, parry everywhere. and i think max parry is around 20% ~ 22%? no idea if most bds even max it up...

if dark shield had that 25%, it would be great, but most times you feel like dark shield abandoned you.

u see dark shield "trying" to save the day only when u ganked or in a few glorious times.

i really wanted some official values but since it wont happen, lets nevermind this :)

• 1 month later...

Success rate of dark shield is greatly dependant on two attributes. Skill level and your armor. The higher your defense, the more likely dark shield will work.

nope, only skill level, my bets are on 15% lvl 5.

higher defense will make it lower the damage more, have nothing to do with activating chance.

DS lv5 is 25% unless devs nerfed it since realease, but no patch info has stated any DS nerf. Dont forget that % or chance always gets more accurate as your parameter(s) goes towards infinity. So trying 20 times wont be very accurate result. I didnt try infinte times obviously, but i did try a few hundred hits from boars to get my result of 25%.

Def stat doesnt effect DS activation chance only DS reduction value. Before devs remade def and magic def system, the reduction in wide terms was 1 point of dmg for each 30 points of def stat. However i dont think its true after devs remade def vaule system.

DS lv5 is 25% unless devs nerfed it since realease, but no patch info has stated any DS nerf. Dont forget that % or chance always gets more accurate as your parameter(s) goes towards infinity. So trying 20 times wont be very accurate result. I didnt try infinte times obviously, but i did try a few hundred hits from boars to get my result of 25%.

Def stat doesnt effect DS activation chance only DS reduction value. Before devs remade def and magic def system, the reduction in wide terms was 1 point of dmg for each 30 points of def stat. However i dont think its true after devs remade def vaule system.

my lil test within the latest update showed it was lowering 6 damage with 0 defense and adding up 1 for each 47~48 physical defense added up.

and i pretty sure they lowered the chances, is very weak activating.

with ds being weakened, threads being like that, exal lvl 5 damage = 111 lol? no stun for anything, dk can be buried already.

Dk is not very powerful seen to other classes that has better perks or better balance. All it has going is its very vicious burst dmg if you value PvP situations.

However, I dont agree that DS is weak. It is the reason why i picked DK and it is by far the strongest def-skill ingame. Activation should be closer to 25%, but remember you cant trust DS in PvP where you only take 8-15 hits before you die, the chance of it not working with that few hits is greater then you think. But in PvE play where you continusly take hit after hit it will do its job and the longer the fight the more accurate your DS will activate.

One thing that you should NEVER forget is that DS is the only non-dmg skill ingame that scales up according to your stat. Which at low levels is a downside, but at higher levels is a great advantage.

pvp situation, im seeing dk kinda like paladins but the otherway around.

while paladins are the tanks with support power, dks are the tanks with the need of having someone to support them.

a paladin fetters is all a dk needs to be able to take care of enemies on his own, or ofc just put stun in threads increasing within its level n a lower cooldown, but have to face it wont happen, dks role is to be easily trolled when he have no support.

back on DS, nowadays i have a feeling it used to work a lot more often a few months ago...doesnt seen the same activating chance anymore.

as i mentioned before, they already lowered DS power, increasing 1 for every ~48 defense with 6 as base value... while it was 1 for every 30 defense back in the days right?

ik at some massive pve it works ok, when u get ganked up by mobs u see some 0s go up.

but as they kept quiet about weakning dark shield power regarding to physical defense, i wont be surprised if they made this lowering chances of activation changes n kept quiet about it. after all, is all a mistery, no official numbers are showed up in the description or anywhere.

and i cant see it as a great advantage anymore unless the enemy have a low attack, then DS will be way more effective than other skills which work on %.

but lets say u have 5k physical defense, with new numbers, DS should lower around 110...the enemy have 600 damage, now that is near 18% being lowered up when ds works.

in a good scenario DS will work on 20% of the hits.

then compare it with barbs, expert skill + roar, each should lower 10% of the damage taken for at least 50% of the time. prob lower more since i seen some barbs talk about 9k+ physical defense using expert skill.

on a 1 vs 1 situation, bds sap seens to work better as well, around 10% damage lowered up for every hit in prob longer than 50% of the time. not sure cause havent spent time in pvp cave anymore cheking things. nor that much time in game either if it matters.

I do agree with what youre saying, DK continuesly seem to fall behind other classes and the fact that DK needs to balance in magic stat to use all skills, compared to barb for example, again causes more problems then benefits most of the time. But I just dont care anymore plain and simple, the game is falling apart piece by piece and even though most players crave the need to get stronger i feel most classes are way to strong for their to ever be balance as things look right now.

I get your point when you compare DS to roar and sap, but you cant look at a point based value and % reduction and call it even. Yes against heavy dmg, % will get even or maybe even better at times. But in regular play point values have a great advantage pushing dmg down to 0 where roar or sap would only reduce it by 3-4dmg. Again i know what your getting at, but thats situational.

Im not dissagreing, I just dont see devs prioritising this and if anything they'll make people even stronger in the future and further make DS less valuable. However it will always be my hidden gem skill in warspear. Something you can work with a build tactits around, even if tactis has no place in WS anymore.

agree with you on pretty much everything there, i lost most of my interest in playing this game since a while ago. to be more precise, after the full damage + full heal for +10 healing classes update. they already have skills to keep distance and now they are healing gods. and DK falling behind other classes helped the loss of interest as well.

about the stronger n stronger...unless they actually go and nerf most of the classes, which is very unlikely since more expert skills will come, yea, thats the way warspear is going.

and ik this would prob be too OP, but i wish dark shield would work on every hit. cause cheking bds section, some guy mentioned sap working almost full time if spammed and lowering 180 to 130, which is over 20% reduction. i just not sure about it being truth or not thought.

either this or burst it to a great chance of activation when you using a shield. like 50%+.

just my thought since everyone is a freaking beast now and dk already doesnt have stun, needing a stunner back up to do a good job.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...