Thoughts on mage skills and combos

rafa9876

Considering the skill rebalance I'm just going to give my thought on some skills and combos.

Old Combos:

Blazing Ground + Fireball - Remove the fear combo with Fireball, it's just annoying most of the time. Instead, you could make the fireball increase the blazing ground duration, damage or range.

Or you remove the combo completely.

Blinding Fire + Frostbolt - It seems weird that the stun part of this skill was moved to Blinding Fire, as it is the better one of the two and makes it almost required to make it 4/4. Before this you had to choose between accuracy -45% or 2 more seconds of stun. I would revert this change and add a movespeed debuff on Frostbolt together with the attack speed debuff and reduce the duration.

New Combo suggestions:

Overload + Basic skills - I made this suggestion in another post but I really like it so I want it to be seriously considered at least.

The Overload damage over time debuff does not stack so any mage can override it regardless of damage difference, so I would change it to be more unique :

When the mage gets the Overload buff after casting 5 skills their next basic skill is buffed up.

Fireball - deals a certain percentage of its damage as AoE damage around the target. (+strong increase in damage based on overload rank[maybe +8/14/20/26%])

Time Warp - reduces its own cooldown upon cast. (by 60/70/80/90%)

Stone Shatter - gains 1 increased range in every direction. (+small increase in stun chance based on overload rank[maybe +2/4/6/8%])

Illusory Chains - blocks the ability to use skills for targets affected. (+minor duration increase based on overload rank [like +0.2/0.4/0.6/0.8 or less) normal duration still based on chain rank

Sun Armor - gives a buff for a few seconds that causes all attackers to be blinded and run around aimlessly for a short duration. (example, buff lasts 2/3/3/4 seconds, attackers are blinded for 1.5/2/2.5/3)

^ Possibly risky idea because it gives the same issue that I mentioned earlier, making it almost required to make it 4/4. But it does sound rather interesting I hope :pin2:

alternatively make overload stack up to 5 (boring) so a full party of mages can each apply their own

else could add a simple combo like

Fire Aura + Blazing Ground - If the mage enters the Blazing Ground area with Fire Aura active he gains +4/8/12/16% critical damage or some other stat.

Thoughts on some skills:

Blazing Ground - Clearly intended as a skill that's "just there" so can keep it as is as long as there's at least 1 combo with it. Or change it completely.

Fire Aura - Just small bonus damage that costs energy to maintain, mostly disregarded. 

Magic Ban - Basically PvP specific skill, powerful enough in small fights I guess. I don't really use it, mage isn't intended for small fights in my eyes. 

Ethereal Barrier - The changes on this skill confuse me. Why was it buffed in PvP and made less useful for weaker PvE players, particularly without vampirism?

I just leave this 1/4 as a PvE mage as it does basically the same thing as at 4/4, thanks for the 3 skill points. Hard skill to balance, maybe make it a constant energy consumption skill (mage already has another passive)

Ennoblement - Risky to mess around with.

Dragon Eye - Was nerfed plenty already, the only strong part right now is the mana regen. Any further reduction needs to be compensated with another stat(penetration or crit dmg). Personally I'd increase the duration to 20sec or give it back the 25% accuracy from before.

I believe all casters should have more advanced combos but the expert skill global cooldown makes it tough :panda7:

I think dev should only make overload can stack not OP. Also do someting about mage chain. I'm using chain only to active relic CD. It bit useless indeed. The other is fine for now actually

11 hours ago, Hellprince said:

I think dev should only make overload can stack not OP. Also do someting about mage chain. I'm using chain only to active relic CD. It bit useless indeed. The other is fine for now actually

I just feel like it would be a really boring rebalance if all they're gonna do is change the numbers and minor things like "can stack".

I hope they actually add more depth to all characters, not just mages, so I invite other people to be a bit more creative with their suggestions.

6 minutes ago, rafa9876 said:

I just feel like it would be a really boring rebalance if all they're gonna do is change the numbers and minor things like "can stack".

I hope they actually add more depth to all characters, not just mages, so I invite other people to be a bit more creative with their suggestions.

I see since dev will make huge rebalance

• 11 months later...

I see nothing about skill builds after December 2021 changes...

Anyone care to share some build ideas, and skill reviews in their current state, what's good/bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Frustrating seeing so little info since update was over 9 months ago. I don't trust 1- 2 year old posts being accurate after such a large rework update followed by silence

TY, my level 25 mage could use some guidance after 2 years away from the game

14 минут назад, Bluedoh сказал:

I see nothing about skill builds after December 2021 changes...

Anyone care to share some build ideas, and skill reviews in their current state, what's good/bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Frustrating seeing so little info since update was over 9 months ago. I don't trust 1- 2 year old posts being accurate after such a large rework update followed by silence

TY, my level 25 mage could use some guidance after 2 years away from the game

I understood why you needed a Russian forum yesterday, but I have to disappoint, we also don’t have an up-to-date guide for the magician right now.:unknw:

1 час назад, акм сказал:

I understood why you needed a Russian forum yesterday, but I have to disappoint, we also don’t have an up-to-date guide for the magician right now.:unknw:

Aren't we have up to 10.4 version PvE mage guide and also post with all skills and talents?:suspicious1:

18 минут назад, Nmac сказал:

Aren't we have up to 10.4 version PvE mage guide and also post with all skills and talents?:suspicious1:

Я не нашел. И недавно наши маги как раз на это жаловались, даже тема была. Все гайды типа старые. Но я могу ошибаться, поделитесь тогда с ним ссылкой, если таковые есть.

37 минут назад, акм сказал:

Я не нашел. И недавно наши маги как раз на это жаловались, даже тема была. Все гайды типа старые. Но я могу ошибаться, поделитесь тогда с ним ссылкой, если таковые есть.

В закрепе висят темы, ладно:huh:

Guide PvE mage 10.4

Guide on mage skills 10.4

16 минут назад, Nmac сказал:

В закрепе висят темы

Да, я год глянул мельком, а изменений не заметил. Наверное подойдет ему.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.. I'm having trouble translating the link & ( Thank you all for replying to me I really appreciate it )

Can anyone recommend a few skill builds for me..