In light of the upcoming balance changes...

Gladiator

Hey there!

Since there is an upcoming balance update, I would like to point out things in Paladin so hopefully devs at least consider changing them, in case it wasn't being worked on already.

It's gonna be a bunch of changes for several skills, obviously I don't expect everything to be changed, but I guess I'll put it out there...

I thought also of color-coding the importance of the changes, Red-Orange-Green for Essential-Average-Optional

So here we go:

1. Inner Forces:

- Add skill animation: Whether the skill remains as it is right now or not, please add animation or a buff icon to represent how many ''2%''s are being applied

- Buff/Change mechanics: I think the skill is very underwhelming right now, I did some basic calculations, and here is a rough estimation of the effectiveness of the skill:

InnerForces.thumb.png.1bad89f06fc8f8f7d8a37b0b2390b0db.png

It shows the effectiveness with an example of 1000 damage received and 8000 HP for Paladin, and as you can see, the total damage reduction is not impressive. Now granted, this is a passive, so this is a permanent damage reduction and this representation is not totally fair to assess the effectiveness of the skill, since the Paladin can heal/be healed and the longer the fight, the more benefit you get from the skill, so it's a bit more complicated. But still, personally I'm not a fan of the skill for another reason - it's too selfish, I don't play Paladin to be a tank. I like Paladin for support/utility, and this skill offers none.

• While only buffing the activation threshold or the amount of damage reduction will make it a better skill, I think the skill mechanics should change, So I suggest changing to maybe something similar to this:
    • Whenever any party member drops below X% HP, they get a shield that reduces incoming damage by Y% for a specific amount of time; additionally, Paladin will get an ''Inner Force'' buff for a specific amount of time, when the Paladin collects 3 of those buffs, the Paladin gets a heal boost for the next heal use, and immediately cools down ''Heavenly Lights''.
    • For example, at 4/4: whenever a party member drops below 30% HP, they get a 30% damage reduction buff for as long as they're below 30%, Paladin gets 1 ''Inner Force'' buff for 30 seconds. Then few moments later, the Paladin also drops below 30%, so he will get that 25% damage reduction buff and another ''Inner Force'' buff, and then lets say a third person drops as well, Paladin gets a 3rd ''Inner Force'' buff and gains a 50% healing boost and immediately cools down ''Heavenly Light''. Once the skill is used, Buffs go away, and collecting more Inner Force buffs will be blocked for a certain amount of time like 40 seconds or so.
    • The catch is, this boost for heal skill is only applied in a party of 3+ people, because the Inner Force buffs will not apply if the same person heals up and drops below 30% HP again, then he will only get the damage reduction (maybe with a cooldown too)
    • This way the skill has utility for Paladins in a party, and it's not super strong when the Paladin is alone.

2. Light Defense

- Buff: Same problem here, it's too weak compared to other skills. 40% defense increase seems big but it is effectively 5-8% damage reduction since the defense has a diminishing return curve. I think it's just lazy generally, a skill like that is more like a basic skill. I think it needs an additional effect, maybe additional resistance, or additional offensive stats like accuracy/cooldown etc, of course then with less duration (would have to change the name too then, heh)

I saw the argument being made somewhere that even 5% damage reduction on 5 people in the party that's like 25% reduction total. I think this very wrong. Most of the time you only have 1 or 2 people taking damage, in PvE most of the time only 1 is a tank. Even in PvP, people tend to focus damage on 1-2 targets in a small scale fight. So it's very misleading to think of it as 5% x 5.

3. Sun Seal

- Change/Buff: The skill is basically damage dealer for magic users and part of a combo for shield users, it's never used for the life steal effect, because it is too weak. I think it's around 17% (?) at 4/4.

• The concept of the skill is not bad, it's just very hard to gain any value out of it, I think it needs a bit more utility. So maybe change to something like this:
    • Deals damage to the selected target and puts the seal on them and casts a field around the target. Any damage dealt to enemies within that field will restore health. (Basically adding an AoE effect to the life steal effect)
    • Duration: 3-4-5-7 seconds. 
    • Cooldown: 30 seconds. It can be adjusted as well.
    • Radius: 5x5 Square around the target
    • Damage can stay the same as it is
    • Health restoration: 15%-20%-25%-35% of the damage dealt.
  • So In summary, more potential for the life steal to be effective, Obviously in PvE scenarios the enemies die fast which is the main issue for this skill, so having the regeneration effect not tied to a single target but an area surrounding it greatly enhances the skill, also increased the % of life steal, since 17% at max level is way too low. For that, and for balance reasons, the duration would be greatly reduced. What that does is that skill give a big boost in a short time, instead of a weaker one for a long period of time, which makes it hard to benefit from because only boss fights last long enough (and it mostly gets resisted there) that makes it very niche.
  • The combo with shield strike wouldn't change anything, you would have to use shield strike on the same target that you used sun seal on.

- Reverse: Give back the ability to focus banner damage on the target

4. Sacred Shield

Oof, this is a big one isn't it... People are gonna hate me for this, but it has to be said... It's too weak, it need to be buffed. SIKE! Just kidding obviously :smiley_4:

Yeah, we all know it's too strong, but as it stands, it makes Paladin playable honestly, if other skills that I just mentioned get buffed the right way, I can justify a reasonable nerf for Sacred Shield, otherwise, Paladin will be at the bottom of the pile.

But what I hate the most atm that whatever I'm doing, whatever build I use, whether it's 1handed, 2handed, PvE, PvP, Magic, Physical damage, you always gotta have 4/4 Sacred Shield, not because it's too good (well partially, it is) but rather there is no other options. So a nerf for the shield has to be accompanied by buffs to other skills.

- Nerf/Mechanics Change: 100% of the HP is not too big considering the shield doesn't take defense into consideration, but when you consider that it casts 2 copies, that's when it becomes too much. So here is what I suggest:

• Power depends on the number of shields casted. For that to be feasible, I think it might be better if it was an area cast skill:
    • Paladin places shields on players in a specific area (3x3 square), the total power of the shield(s) will always depend on the Paladin's max HP (80%-100%-120%-150%).
    • Now here is the catch: If 1 person gets the shield, the shield will have 100% of its power, if 2 people get the shield it would be 50% - 50% of its max power, and so on... It would also be capped at 5 people, so at max you can get 5 people shielded and each would have 20% of the maximum power.
    • Now the question is how much is 100%? It would have to be a number that is not too overpowered at 100% and not too little at 20%. So maybe something like 150% of the Paladin's HP, so that 5 people would have 30% HP shield.
    • Another problem would be deciding who gets the shield if there are more than 5 people at that area, also does it count minions? I think party members should be prioritized, otherwise lowest HP allies
  • I see how 150% HP shield on 1 person can be too much, but think about the disadvantage other party members would have not having any shields, so they would be a weaker target to kill first. And this way when casted on 2 people, each will get 75% HP shield, compared to 100% currently. I don't know, what do you think?
  • Another thing, is you have to consider screen bugs/desync, so it would be harder to cast the shield, so it's not as simple as clicking 1 ally and getting 2 powerful shields.
  • The only situation where the shield is 'buffed' is the ability to self cast or cast on 1 person.
  • it would change the way you play the skill and I believe it makes it more dynamic and situational, the power can be discussed.

5. Light Aura

- Buff: Not a huge deal, it is a basic skill at the end of the day, but I do think it's too niche. I'm thinking of adding an effect for those using physical damage classes. So it would buff healing effects for magic users/healers. But right now it does nothing for non-healer party members. I think it would be cool to have an effect for for BDs/Rangers/Seekers/etc.. What about a nice little ''Piercing Attack'' bonus or an ''Attack Strength'' bonus, or just simply increased damage from physical damage skills. Nothing too crazy, 1%-1.5% or something like that per level. More incentive to level it up every now and then.

6. Paladin's Prayer

- Change: Right now it increases the max HP for 14 seconds and then you lose parts of it every 4 seconds, this makes the skill solely used as a heal skill, never as a skill to increase the max HP, since you lose the HP before you even get to get advantage of it. I think it would make more sense to increase max HP for 20 seconds and then after 20 seconds you lose the whole extra HP at once.

7. Harad's Call

- Buff: Make the stun last longer with skill development, since the chance is not 100% in PvP even at max level, there is no reason to level it up.

Also it would be a good counter for the bigger amount of AoE control the Legions have over Sentinels.

To rap it up, IMO in a perfect world there should be no skill that is just not worth leveling up, because right now most if not all Paladin run the same skill set up, mainly with maxed Sacred Shield and Harad's Prayer, shield users use Shield Strike and 2 handed users go for Banner, all other skills are pretty much worthless. And I have only leveled up to experiment with. With those changes I think all skills would be a good choice to level up depending on the situations, it would definitely refresh Paladin and have multiple ways to play it, and changing skill set up every now and then is one of the best things I like to do with my spare gold, but right now, there is not many options...

So what do you think? What else would you think needs to be changed? And what do you think about what I suggested?

Edited by Gladiator

Just lol super Rated XXX while on forsaken and mc clan no shield . Seeker light armor user have shield . Don't u think its way too much Super rated shield elf skills unbalance make rogue have shield too that seeker and rogue looks same their skills🤔🤔🤔

If seeker,priest,bd and mage activate their shield . pala shield must be useless these shield skills too much

1 hour ago, Gladiator said:

I see how 150% HP shield on 1 person can be too much, but think about the disadvantage other party members would have not having any shields, so they would be a weaker target to kill first. And this way when casted on 2 people, each will get 75% HP shield, compared to 100% currently. I don't know, what do you think?

You would want to see the strongest shield of the game being self castable and being capable of absorbing 150% of your max HPs... 

I'm sorry buddy, but you won't convince me about the shield deserving a rework in a positive way. 

39 minutes ago, Higgings said:

You would want to see the strongest shield of the game being self castable and being capable of absorbing 150% of your max HPs... 

I'm sorry buddy, but you won't convince me about the shield deserving a rework in a positive way. 

How is it a positive thing? If the shield absorbs let's say 20k damage now (10k x 2), with that change it would be either 15k x 1 or 7.5k x 2, it's literally a nerf to the current situation in terms of total shield power.

But don't get too hung up on the numbers, it's just an example anyway. It's up to devs to determine what's balanced, because 150% HP would be balanced if you have classes dealing 3k+ damage per second, that would mean 5 seconds or less and the shield is gone. For what it's worth, I'm fine with even 100% HP x1 or 50% x2 etc.. if other skills get a decent buff.

And what's the problem with being able to cast it on self? Casting it on 1 person / on self would put other teammates at a disadvantage, for example in a 2v2 arena fight, opponents will deliberately attack the other teammate first and leave the shield to run out with no use, it would be a bad decision to cast it on 1 person.

4 hours ago, Gladiator said:

And what's the problem with being able to cast it on self? Casting it on 1 person / on self would put other teammates at a disadvantage, for example in a 2v2 arena fight, opponents will deliberately attack the other teammate first and leave the shield to run out with no use, it would be a bad decision to cast it on 1 person.

It's not really the fact of casting it upon yourself, more than the strenght you want it to have, should you decide to put it upon yourself.  That's what I was referring to. 

I have an idea

light aura as constant energy consumption, increases the amount of health regeneration by 5% / 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% and reduces the regeneration time to 3 sec, characters that are under this effect will also increase health reg and reduce its regeneration time to 3 sec and the healing effects will increase by 3%/6%/9%/12%/15%(

This parameter is completely forgotten, (only  dk makes use of it), and now with the life steal runes, it is simply non-existent.

Another one... 

Inner forces rework to "divine defense"

(passive)

The paladin receives 3 positive parry, it will recharge in 5 seconds once they are used.

It will also increase the "parry" parameter by 3% / 6% / 9% / 12%.

I think paladin does need buff, only 2 useful expert skills are being maxed, sacred shield prayer the rest are pretty much useless.

As Gladitor pointed out, either buff the some if u were to nerf the current good ones, or rework the useless ones with a bit of additional buffs, while nerfing a bit the good ones now.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:27 AM, Tine said:

Just lol super Rated XXX while on forsaken and mc clan no shield . Seeker light armor user have shield . Don't u think its way too much Super rated shield elf skills unbalance make rogue have shield too that seeker and rogue looks same their skills🤔🤔🤔

If seeker,priest,bd and mage activate their shield . pala shield must be useless these shield skills too much

Slow down. These are ideas for the upcoming. Make your other class suggesting with the perspective class. Focus on paladins here. Thank you.

Pala super op shield op buff op heal while its heavy equip class . if u saying pala is a support change it to cloth user because all anime or gameplay supports are cloth users. On arena if mc saw pala just give up and afk wait for another fight

Screenshot_2021-10-18-10-29-02-0555729283.png

3 hours ago, Tine said:

Pala super op shield op buff op heal while its heavy equip class . if u saying pala is a support change it to cloth user because all anime or gameplay supports are cloth users. On arena if mc saw pala just give up and afk wait for another fight

Screenshot_2021-10-18-10-29-02-0555729283.png

Paladins prayer is a buff skill, not a heal skill. They're a support because of their kit. They buff heals, dmg, defense, hp, and can heal and shield. For you to understand Paladins, you have to make one. Trust me, paladins are not as strong as you think. You will struggle until you get the gear you need and amp at +9.