Earth Protection

Domii

I am new to this game and only lvl 10. But a spell I have yet to understand is earth protection. I still have it a lvl 1 because I don't see the use of it. The amount of hitpoints I take is the exact same, regardless if I use it or not. It doesn't increase my defense or help reduce the hitpoints I take. What am I missing here? Does it get better if I lvl it up? Is it worth doing so?

1 hour ago, Domii said:

I am new to this game and only lvl 10. But a spell I have yet to understand is earth protection. I still have it a lvl 1 because I don't see the use of it. The amount of hitpoints I take is the exact same, regardless if I use it or not. It doesn't increase my defense or help reduce the hitpoints I take. What am I missing here? Does it get better if I lvl it up? Is it worth doing so?

It is likely that Earth Protection amplifies the current defense of your characters armor 

I am a Death Knight. Not a Shaman but in a dungeon a shaman can cast Earth Protection then heal the player much better than just with healing as defense reduces damage taken. If you want to progress I recommend you increase Earth Protection to max. I'm sure another shaman here may say otherwise so I would say listen to them instead of me

Edited by Drakoknight

The skill increases your defense by a percentage so if you have very low defense it will do little to nothing.

Only after you start getting 2000 or 3000 defense will you start to notice it making a difference.

For example as the formula for damage reduction is Flat Value * 100 / (Flat Value + 6500)

If you have (for example) 500 defense which seems normal at low level you'd have roughly 7% damage reduction.

Earth protection boosts it by 30% to 650 and this increases total damage reduction by only 2% to 9%.

Lvl 10 mobs that do for example 40 damage do not deal enough damage for you to notice this difference.

Now take a lvl 20 tank class with 3000 defense that gives him a damage reduction of 31%

Earth protection would boost this to 3900 and 37% damage reduction.

Level 20 monsters can do 200 damage so in this case its 12 less damage taken.

Same for a lvl 32 tank with 8000 defense (55%), would be boosted to 10400 (61%)

Lvl32 mobs can do 1000 damage or more, 60 less damage taken due to earth protection.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:05 AM, rafa9876 said:

The skill increases your defense by a percentage so if you have very low defense it will do little to nothing.

Only after you start getting 2000 or 3000 defense will you start to notice it making a difference.

For example as the formula for damage reduction is Flat Value * 100 / (Flat Value + 6500)

If you have (for example) 500 defense which seems normal at low level you'd have roughly 7% damage reduction.

Earth protection boosts it by 30% to 650 and this increases total damage reduction by only 2% to 9%.

Lvl 10 mobs that do for example 40 damage do not deal enough damage for you to notice this difference.

Now take a lvl 20 tank class with 3000 defense that gives him a damage reduction of 31%

Earth protection would boost this to 3900 and 37% damage reduction.

Level 20 monsters can do 200 damage so in this case its 12 less damage taken.

Same for a lvl 32 tank with 8000 defense (55%), would be boosted to 10400 (61%)

Lvl32 mobs can do 1000 damage or more, 60 less damage taken due to earth protection.

in addition to that it helps to boost the solidity since it increases the physical deffense, very usefull in the endgame dungeons