Would Magical Swords be a good addition for Warspear?

Khrone

There are many different types of weapons in Warspear Online, giving the players a wide variety to choose from. However, not all of them are so useful, and one of these weapons are the Swords, both the One and the Two-Handed.

The reason for this lack of utility is that there are better options to choose from to deal damage and/or tank.

Pros of using One-Handed Swords:

• They have a shorter attack interval than axes. 
  • Most part of them have Penetration and Attack Speed.
  • Different from Daggers, some of them have Parry, useful for tanks.
  • They are on mid-term between high damage and short intervals between auto-attacks.

Cons:

• Almost every axe has Parry while it's rare to find swords with it, so it is better to use axes for tanking.
  • Besides Parry, axes also have Penetration.
  • Daggers have a shorter interval than swords, so the Attack Speed on swords doesn't change too much.

Now, let's talk about Two-Handed Swords:

Pros: 

• I would say one if there was one.

Cons:

• Two-Handed Axes are better. They have Parry and Penetration.

So we realized Swords are useless, especially the Two-Handed Ones (Seekers don't even use it).

How to solve this problem?

748821004_.png.f8294edc0c849f292936109661583465.png Magic! :greedy:

And i mean literally.

What would be the advantages of giving Magical Damage to swords?

First of all, we would need to reconsider the whole concept of swords in this game.

For Magical Damage Swords to be useful, they would need to have different stats from every other weapon, or it would be just a faster Mace.

The classes that use One-Handed Swords right now are all the tanks (except Templar and Charmer) and melee physical damagers, while the classes that uses the Two-Handed versions are the tanks (again excluding the two mentioned before and the Blade Dancer) and the Seeker.

However, from these classes, Paladins and Death Knights don't get any benefit from using swords, so if magical swords were added on the game, these are the classes that could use it and benefit from it:

• Paladin
  • Templar*
  • Chieftain**
  • Death Knight
  • Charmer*

Spoiler

One-Handed Swords only.

Spoiler

Two-Handed Swords only.

So what would be the stats of these swords besides both types of damage?

Mainly Penetration and Parry for tanking while dealing damage since there aren't any Maces with both stats at the same time, just Axes.

The Two-Handed versions would be perfect for Paladins and Death Knights to tank (a bit) using a Two-Handed weapon, because Spears or 2H Maces don't have Parry.

Sometimes they could have also Accuracy and/or Critical Hit to diversify.

Spoiler

Maybe Attack Speed too? Speed Paladin/DK goes vrooooom :troll_face1:

And the last thing is what would be their name. Let's follow the same logic as Maces.

Magical Mace = Enchanted Blade

Morgenstern (Magical 2H Mace) = Excalibur (Magical 2H Sword).

Spoiler

I'd love to use a "Royal Excalibur of Enchanted Castle" :ah:

Spoiler

Or an "Enchanted Blade of Enchanted Castle" :lol_crazy1:

Also, to justify my opinion, let's compare Two-Handed Maces and Spears:

Spear of Catharsis:

20210519_064233.jpg.c462869cf3f984a7b68de926cff426d4.jpg

Hammer of Catharsis:

20210519_064141.jpg.0fdb5c057ee899c588f5cff5bdc9d165.jpg

We see that Spears attacks slower than Maces but have higher physical damage, so in the end, the DPS doesn't change, unless you amplificate both weapons.

However, even though the DPS of auto-attacks doesn't change, the physical damage of the spear is still higher than the phys. dmg of the mace, and this fact does change something: Physical damage skills will deal more damage.

To compensate that, the mace attacks faster and has higher magical damage, so skills that depends on magical damage will have a better effect (damage and healing skills).

What does it have to do with swords? Let's compare again, but this time, it's a sword and a one-handed mace.

Magical Mace of Enchanted Castle:

20210519_065054.jpg.129b79a4067aed54437ee058d3f21e76.jpg

Blade of Enchanted Castle:

20210519_065115.jpg.538de631100b7e4c74fc5e842e0b7eef.jpg

Spoiler

Ok, the DPS variaton was a bit higher than before, but c'mon, 2.5 damage?

It's not like it would have a great difference.

So in this case, the mace would be our "spear", attacking slower but having more physical damage to balance the DPS and therefore dealing more damage on physical skills.

If magical swords were added to the game, it would be somewhat the one-handed version of Two-Handed Maces: Attacking faster, has less physical damage but has more magical damage to compensate, and this fact changes everything.

Spoiler

Sadly, the same can't be said about Two-Handed Swords, as they have the same attack interval and phhsical damage as Two-Handed Maces. They would still have Parry and Penetration, stats that maces usually don't have, and never both at the same weapon, despite this one:

20210519_082117.jpg.8dc263892026a5f562cb27d0f2206875.jpg

Then you think "If one-handed weapons with more magical damage than maces were added to Warspear, every hybrid class would prefer to use it, right?"

The answer is no. Why? Because magical maces have a stat that swords wouldn't have: Cooldown. That's it. The same way Spears don't have Cooldown like Two-Handed Maces do, Magical Swords wouldn't have Cooldown, instead, they would have Parry and Penetration.

Also, the character would lose a offensive stat if one of the stat slots of the weapon had Parry, and i think damager classes don't focus on Parry, so... magical swords would be a weapon more suited for tanking.

Basically, Magical Maces would be better for Templars, Chieftains and Charmers who wants more physical damage or Cooldown, Enchanted Blades would be better to tank while having a good amount of magical damage and Excaliburs would be especially for Paladins and Death Knights to have Parry while using a Two-Handed weapon.

Now you're thinking again :tellme: "So wouldn't it be easier if magical maces had Parry and Penetration?"

And it actually makes sense, but we already have a lot of types of maces in this game. Seriously, it is the weapon with the highest number of variations, we already have maces, magical maces, hammers, clubs and morgensterns.

You could use the same sentence about Two-Handed Hybrid weapons. "Why don't we have Morgensterns with Penetration" or "Why don't we have Spears with Cooldown", and in my opinion, we need a bit of variety. 

Some Magic Maces do have Parry, but... no one uses it. They are dropped on Ayvondill dungeons, but who uses non-event weapons in 2021? 

Note: This whole topic is not a joke, i'm being serious.

Edited by Khrone

6 minutes ago, Drakoknight said:

Magic swords that is just pure magic and no physical would be great for dk really

By "magical swords", i mean swords with magical and physical damage :happydoge:

2 hours ago, Khrone said:

By "magical swords", i mean swords with magical and physical damage :happydoge:

No just plain magic dmg so it doesn't basically mimic the magic maces

I don't get why they gave magic only to maces, at least 1 other one handed weapon with magic would be nice to be able to pick from a wider selection of stats.
Still, with the mentioned classes already being played less than damaging classes I can only see this realistically being a thing if we get a DPS focus class that can make use of it to similar or rather higher levels than the chieftain.

57 minutes ago, Drakoknight said:

No just plain magic dmg so it doesn't basically mimic the magic maces

Then it would be a weapon for full magical damage classes (Mage and Warlock) instead of a weapon for hybrid ones

49 minutes ago, rafa9876 said:

at least 1 other one handed weapon with magic would be nice to be able to pick from a wider selection of stats.

Even Rangers/Hunters have at least 2 options to choose from, while tank/physical/hybrid Templars and Charmers can only use maces

Tank Paladins and DKs can use more weapons, but they benefit more from maces

49 minutes ago, rafa9876 said:

Still, with the mentioned classes already being played less than damaging classes I can only see this realistically being a thing if we get a DPS focus class that can make use of it to similar or rather higher levels than the chieftain.

Magical Rogue :troll_face1: