Basic Aggro Skills rework

Khrone

I want to know your opinion about it.

In my opinion, the way they are implemented in the game right now isn't the best.

• Templars and Charmers doesn't have a basic aggro skill (i'll call it BAS) like the other tanks (even though they are more like off-tanks), so it opens up a slot for another type of skill. 
  • Paladins, Blade Dancers, Wardens, Barbarians and Death Knights have basic aggro skills, but besides Warden's, all of them have the same effect: Forces the enemy to attack you. Nothing special, leveling up these skills only increase the aggro points and the duration too if i remember correctly.

My suggestion is: Like Warden's BAS, all the other tanks BAS should have another secondary effect, so it would give even more personality to them, because seriously, they all have the same skill.

Later i'll give some suggestions.

Edited by Khrone

6 hours ago, Khrone said:

I want to know your opinion about it.

In my opinion, the way they are implemented in the game right now isn't the best.

• Templars and Charmers doesn't have a basic aggro skill (i'll call it BAS) like the other tanks (even though they are more like off-tanks), so it opens up a slot for another type of skill. 
  • Paladins, Blade Dancers, Wardens, Barbarians and Death Knights have basic aggro skills, but besides Warden's, all of them have the same effect: Forces the enemy to attack you. Nothing special, leveling up these skills only increase the aggro points and the duration too if i remember correctly.

My suggestion is: Like Warden's BAS, all the other tanks BAS should have another secondary effect, so it would give even more personality to them, because seriously, they all have the same skill.

Later i'll give some suggestions.

yes, it is still usefull for alll classes, due to the relics that may trigger and also for pulling an single target when nedded, and increasing thier level indeed increase thier duration and aggression point done by it and during the duration the caster will do 3x more aggression points on said target.

alone (out of warden) them may be useless (but still can help for get that one enemy in a group safely, since u cant do ranged attacks),  but in team where u need probaly to hold on a boss it is really helpfull due the immense damage the dps classes are reaching, wich is a ton of aggression points

but on any point, i think them should get some secondary effect at the cost of a bit longer cd and higer cost (like warden's) to make it more helpfull in solo scenarios and in overall

3 hours ago, lore said:

yes, it is still usefull for alll classes, due to the relics that may trigger and also for pulling an single target when nedded, and increasing thier level indeed increase thier duration and aggression point done by it and during the duration the caster will do 3x more aggression points on said target.

alone (out of warden) them may be useless (but still can help for get that one enemy in a group safely, since u cant do ranged attacks),  but in team where u need probaly to hold on a boss it is really helpfull due the immense damage the dps classes are reaching, wich is a ton of aggression points

but on any point, i think them should get some secondary effect at the cost of a bit longer cd and higer cost (like warden's) to make it more helpfull in solo scenarios and in overall

If i remember correctly, Warden was the only tank introduced after Expert Skills were released, so before the WD, when the other tanks were introduced in the game, the basic aggro skills were the only one available.

Basically, my suggestion is: Like expert aggro skills, each tank should have their unique BAS.

Edited by Khrone

I think that would be a good idea. Warden is the only character that has a unique basic aggro, which not only gives the exact ammount of aggro points, but also gives warden healing should the skill be casted 3times in a row. Which obviosuly makes the other skills pale in comparison. So yeah, they should indeed add a second bonus on these skills (maybe def increase or something similar that would increase the chances of  survival, because obviously tank's main purpose is to protect others and not get killed in the process) Maybe a similar 3-cast system to unlock a buff or something. Anyways, I hope this will be implemented.

I actually agree that they each should get a unique minor effect but it's hard to balance considering the skills low cooldown.
Also completely copying the warden effect would be boring, and his effect is already weak enough that few players even bother to use it.
So I would actually buff his effect in some way...
As for the other classes...

The paladin could have a supportive or disrupting effect focusing on protecting party members, maybe pacifying them for a short time (his skill is called persuasion)

Death Knight could get a thematically accurate one like marking his target for death under certain conditions(do more damage based on missing health), as his focus isn't actually his party. (Provocation)

The bladedancer is a dueling class (or so is my idea of it) so his effect could make both him and the target do more damage to each other. (Aggression)

While the barbarian is one that would resort to dirty tactics mocking his opponent, maybe making the barbarian stronger if the target is not damaging him. (Taunt)

At least those are the first ideas that pop in my head, what do you think? All of these could also be linked to existing/new expert skills to balance it.

On 5/5/2021 at 8:57 AM, rafa9876 said:

At least those are the first ideas that pop in my head, what do you think?

I didn't have any idea to be honest :hopeless:

The paladin could have a supportive or disrupting effect focusing on protecting party members, maybe pacifying them for a short time (his skill is called persuasion)

Persuasion

Makes the enemy Pacific for some time. While on this state, it is unable to attack the character or its allies.

After the effect ends, after receiving damage or resisting the skill, the enemy gains the Aggressive debuff, automatically forcing it to attack the Paladin and decreasing its (not the Paladin's) damage dealt by 10%.

Has a smaller chance to work on minibosses, bosses and players.

That's it. You don't get attacked.

However, you would still be on the "In battle" effect, so no increased Life Regen or Mana Regen.

It seems confusing, i know, but it is something like that:

Spoiler
  • Paladin uses the skill >> enemy gains the Pacific debuff >> when the effect ends, the enemy gains the "Agressive" debuff, decreasing 10% of its damage dealt to any entity and forces it to attack the Paladin
  • Paladin uses the skill >> enemy gains the "Pacific" debuff but gets attacked >> enemy gains "Aggressive" debuff
  • Paladin uses the skill but the enemy resists it >> enemy gains "Aggressive" debuff

Conclusion: In any way the enemy would get the "Aggressive" debuff, unless it resists it too.

Death Knight could get a thematically accurate one like marking his target for death under certain conditions(do more damage based on missing health), as his focus isn't actually his party. (Provocation)

Death Mark 

Taunts the enemy and adds the Death Mark debuff.

A Death Marked enemy receives periodic physical damage and heals the character or any ally that attacks the enemy by 5% of the damage dealt.

I don't know if it's too broken to add a Vampirism effect to any player that attacks the enemy, considering that the DK already has a lot of Life Steal.

I was thinking about it increasing the damage received by the enemy, but we already have Threads of Darkness and Knight's Curse.

But the 5% would be only on 5/5, on 1/5 it would be like 2% or 3%, and also it would make the DK a bit more supportive, so it would make the class more loved, i think.

The bladedancer is a dueling class (or so is my idea of it) so his effect could make both him and the target do more damage to each other. (Aggression)

Duel

Taunts the enemy.

Both the character and the enemy deals 15% more damage to each other, but deals 20% less damage to other entities.

How could it be done by developers?

Both the BD and the taunted enemy would gain a "Duel" effect that decreases its damage dealt by 20%, unless it attacks a character who also has the "Duel" effect (in this case, it would deal 15% more damage).

While the barbarian is one that would resort to dirty tactics mocking his opponent, maybe making the barbarian stronger if the target is not damaging him. (Taunt)

Mockery

Taunts the enemy and gives it the "Enraged" debuff.

An enemy with the "Enraged" debuff deals 20% more damage to the character, but has its defenses decreased by 10%.

I didn't know too much about what to do, but basically, it would be like: The enemy gets enraged because of the Barbarian's insults, so it would deal more damage to the Brb but would forget to defend from attacks.

It sounds a lot like BD's skill but not exactly.

Edited by Khrone

Those are really good, although personally I would either tweak the numbers or give the skills specific conditions to activate.

Or buff the warden skill, because healing 12% max hp every 21 seconds seems a bit weak in comparison now.

2 minutes ago, rafa9876 said:

Or buff the warden skill, because healing 12% max hp every 21 seconds seems a bit weak in comparison now.

Or just make it heal a smaller percentage of HP using the skill only 1 time, like 5% HP every 8 seconds (yes, nerfing the skill a little bit)

• Khrone changed the title to Basic Aggro Skills rework
  • 2 years later...

So... since we have talent branches and every tank class has a damage dealer branch, maybe we could have a talent for each one that changes the basic aggro skill to something else, so a player who opts to use a tank class as damage dealer instead won't need to have an useless skill on their arsenal?? :pleased:

Like they did to Blade Dancer, since it lost its tank role, but with key class talents instead of completely reworking the skills :pfffrrrr:

• 5 months later...

The next skills rebalance is right around the corner and it would make my Christmas so much happier if after 2 years the developers paid attention to my suggestion :s1hy:

I don't mind having agro skills be more useful than a target reset in PvP but also I don't think they should be anything crazy. In Skylore for example, agro skills work in PvP as well, the force the enemy to interrupt what they're doing and do the next auto attack on the tank. It would be nice to see it work like that in Warspear too. But also, I can see how it can be broken with their current cooldowns.

Edited by Gladiator

14 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

I don't mind having agro skills be more useful than a target reset in PvP but also I don't think they should be anything crazy.

I don't want them to be broken, i just want the basic aggro skills from each tank class to be unique like their Expert counterparts

Examples:

Call of Death deals periodical magical damage

Branded by the Sun heal allies who attack marked enemies

Goading slow enemies

Right now, the only class with a slightly different skill is the Warden