dodge and parry

robz

Question

3 answers to this question

both means evading so why separate? it's redundant..

Robz here is the difference.  Dodge works on spells and arrows and melee..  Parry only works against melee.  also think about this:  its about having layers of defense.  Every time someone swings at you in melee it will first check to see if you dodge.  Then if you don't it will then check to see if you parry.  Add in block for barbs and they're the only class that can have 3 layers of defense.  as I understand it block works like dodge on arrows and spells.

So a barb with 20% dodge 10% parry and 10% block is a nightmare to bring down.

as I understand it block works like dodge on arrows and spells.

I never tested, but after reading your words it seems that block does not affect melee, right?

Can anyone confirm that? Because as it is, block seems rather useless and it is better to invest in dodge or parry.

If block and dodge work towards the same attack abilities (spell and arrow) it would be better that you max one skill (dodge) rather to get a third skill to 10 percent.

20%dodge (20 out of 100 attacks miss you) is better than 10%dodge and 10% block (meaning 10 out of 100 attacks gets dodged, and the other 90 are subject to block,  where you in turn avoid damage on 9 attacks, which means that you avoid approx. 19 attacks compared to 20 from pure dodge)

But maybe the dodge skill is compared to the attack skill of the attacker, and with block its not compared but a fixed percentage.

Then it might be interesting ...

Anyone knows something and wants to share?

Dodge does work on melee.  Also spells and arrows.  Parry only works against melee attacks.  Therefore jacking up dodge is a must. I wasn't sure if block worked like parry or dodge. 

If dodge and block works the same get both as high as you can. But if you use two handed exclusively obviously block is useless without a shield.