Sword/Axe+Shield vs. 2H Sword/Axe

brenn

Hello I play the Barbarian class and I was just wondering if it's better to use one handed weapons with a shield or just the two-handers. I prefer using a sword and shield, but rarely do I see any other barbarian with a one-handed weapon. I would like some feedback as to why some people prefer each weapon. Here are some stats

Tested estoc(2H) - level 15

Speed = 3.2

Physical damage = 203

Critical hit = 4.2%

Accuracy = 3.9%

Tested Gladius(1H) - level 15

Speed = 2.0

Physical damage = 127

Accuracy = 1.7%

Parry = 1.9%

Now what I did next was divide the speed by the physical damage like this:

2H - 203/3.2 = 63.4375

1H - 127/2.0 = 63.5

This means that the attack to speed ratios are pretty much the same. Now let's see the other bonuses for these weapons:

Tested estoc:

Critical hit - 4.2%

Accuracy - 3.9%

Tested Gladius:

Accuracy - 1.7%

Parry - 1.9%

(with Proven Shield)

Physical resistance - 204

Block - 2%

Health increase - 136

Now at this point this is where I conclude the two and I find that using a one-handed sword and shield gives a better advantage, yet I barely see anyone else with a sword and shield.

The other variable that could come in to play are the skills used with each weapon, particularly Strong Blow and Roar.

If someone can convince me as to how the 2 handers are better, please let me know because I feel like I'm missing something here, thank you.

Most players seek out power. "Defend, how boring." -Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)

Ppl figure they can do more damage using 2handed weapons.

Btw, swords have less atk than axes, but higher atk spd

Good comment, but I need some more feedback so I did another experiment, I am trying to see how much total damage I am doing in a set amount of time, while using both a one-handed, and two-handed sword. Here are the base facts:

acute broadsword (one-handed)

hits every 2 secs

does 111 damage

104 physical damage

118 combined physical damage

acute longsword (two-handed)

hits every 3.2 secs

does 173 damage

166 physical damage

180 combined physical damage

Now this number I'm about to use is just a guess.  I estimate that 4 out of every 5 swings, actually hits my target and does damage.

I will estimate the amount of damage each weapon deals out in a period of 64 seconds.

With the acute broadsword(1-handed) I will swing 32 times and hit 25.6 times resulting in 2841.6 in damage

With the acute longsword(2-handed) I will swing 20 times and hit 16 times resulting in 2768 in damage, however, if you add the accuracy bonus of 3.2% to this weapon you could end up with hitting 16.64 times in 64 seconds, dealing 2878.7 in damage.

Looking at this experiment, there's so many variables to look at. I haven't calculated bringing in critical hit/attack speed/penetration/accuracy bonuses or using skills like strong blow. These two weapons are so close it's pretty much a draw. So until someone else can come up with something, I may just stick with a sword and shield, gaining  the extra health and defence bonuses.... So please if anyone can come up with something, help me solve this struggle!

im looking for a moon defense rune! Gna try enchanting my shield with it so i get an upper hand against druids! Not sure how good thatl work!

Hello I play the Barbarian class and I was just wondering if it's better to use one handed weapons with a shield or just the two-handers. I prefer using a sword and shield, but rarely do I see any other barbarian with a one-handed weapon. I would like some feedback as to why some people prefer each weapon. Here are some stats

Tested estoc(2H) - level 15

Speed = 3.2

Physical damage = 203

Critical hit = 4.2%

Accuracy = 3.9%

Tested Gladius(1H) - level 15

Speed = 2.0

Physical damage = 127

Accuracy = 1.7%

Parry = 1.9%

Now what I did next was divide the speed by the physical damage like this:

2H - 203/3.2 = 63.4375

1H - 127/2.0 = 63.5

This means that the attack to speed ratios are pretty much the same. Now let's see the other bonuses for these weapons:

Tested estoc:

Critical hit - 4.2%

Accuracy - 3.9%

Tested Gladius:

Accuracy - 1.7%

Parry - 1.9%

(with Proven Shield)

Physical resistance - 204

Block - 2%

Health increase - 136

Now at this point this is where I conclude the two and I find that using a one-handed sword and shield gives a better advantage, yet I barely see anyone else with a sword and shield.

The other variable that could come in to play are the skills used with each weapon, particularly Strong Blow and Roar.

If someone can convince me as to how the 2 handers are better, please let me know because I feel like I'm missing something here, thank you.

I think it's use logic . 1 hand swords are lighter than axe which the primary weapon of Barbarian . But , when they wield The big Sword and Axe . See how long he attacking. Heavy compare with Light

Well , it's just my opinion

Light swords do just as much damage aas heavy swords. That's why I don't understand why everyone uses two handers and misses out on the defence/hp bonus.

Light swords do just as much damage aas heavy swords. That's why I don't understand why everyone uses two handers and misses out on the defence/hp bonus.

Sword/axe + shield are suitable for bosses... In this case , two handed weapons deal instant damage than 1 handed sword. And the skill damage dealt by two handed weapons are higher than 1 handed weapon. That's why.

P.S : 1. Block still inactive , so it's useless for 'now'

2. Penetration also.. Two-handed got big             

penetration

1h sword+shield work very bad on druids bcoz of healing with low dmg of barbs... u forgot also the skills that make 3.2 into same as 2.0 speed (attack-skill-attack no wait time) with that 2h get little advantage. shield dont work properly, block not working and block is the best shield offer, so 2-0 to 2hand weapons.

Everyone prefers two hand because your numbers don't factor in skill damage.  Skill damage is a set timer independent of swing speed.  Therefore the higher damage from two handed skill use makes it the better choice despite one handed actually having a higher dps. 

The actual formula for swing speed is posted by miocco in a thread on the blade dancer page. 

Also block still isn't working right  :facepalm:

• 3 weeks later...

i used my wtc + arena sheild to farm bg and with a heal of 210 - 220, my health was always full till boss died. One more healer and one dps on the guards. Thats it, we 4 do bg like a charm. Its only healers need to be active, if no mistakes 4 ppl can do bg without pots.

So be proud cuz barbs are actual tanks.

Btw use 2 handed for pvp so u can hit as much as u can when u stun the opponent.

P.s :-Need 5 ppl for lamby without pots

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to know what is the best one-handed axe and shield to equip for barbarian lvl 15+

Best 1H is that berengar guard axe far better than 1H arena axe :drinks:

If u building survival barb i think the best is [light buckler+1 handed axe 250cc] or [warior shield+acute falchion from arena] both of those weapon has parry.

But to building this barb type,u will need lot of gold.cuz u will need to amp all of ur armor.  :friends:

But overall what is the best shield in the games and the best one-handed weapon for barb in the game without being amplified or having runes/crystals?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

COMBO atks do immediete DMG!

2H is ..so good for PVP

Thinks abt Bleed>>Defeat>>1 strike >>Heavy blow, this will happen in 3secs 

think abt the DMG

1H is for farming!

i feel so!!

COMBO atks do immediete DMG!

2H is ..so good for PVP

Thinks abt Bleed>>Defeat>>1 strike >>Heavy blow, this will happen in 3secs

think abt the DMG