Death Knight Skills rework suggestion

Ogull

in this topic i will be talking about dk and his heavily nerfed skills, and while in most cases where i will be suggesting buffs to the skills numbers to "fix" said skills this time around i came up with a good idea to rework the skills in a way that work wonderfully, and i will be doing so with a mechanic that devs have introduced a while ago, the act of skills working together to add buff to one skill of the two, like how dk saturation work with sharp shadow to add life steal to sharp shadow or how rogue poison work with jump to add extra damage..etc.

now the key ingredient for it, is this skill

bpcut.png Blood Protection

a relatively straight forward skill, that reduces % of incoming damage against the character for the duration of the effect.

now the fun start when Blood Protection is used when the player is under the effect of...

s.PNG Saturation

when that happens, the combination of the 2 skills effect happen, and it goes as following:

when blood protection is used while under the effect of saturation, for the duration of blood protection, every time the character is hit, he/she will regain % of their max health as heal.

i call this effect Blood Pact, it work similar to druid healing barrier, but with the dk max health instead of damage received.

now this effect could get out of hand with how much tanks can reach in terms of max health, that's why the figures i was talking about regarding % health is around (0.5% - 1% - 1.5% - 2%) of max health as heal for the character

but wait! i didn't forget our old friend...

ss.PNG Secret Reserve

secret reserve also work with blood protection, now this might seem crazy! but hear me out.

when blood protection is used while under the effect of secret reserve, all damage done to dk will be absorbed by blood protection, at the end of blood protection, all the damage that was absorbed will be dealt to the dk, however the damage that the skill reduced will be dealt to all enemies 1 yard away from the character.

i call this effect Relocate Damage, what happen is that blood protection will absorb all damage done to the dk and at the end of the skill all damage will be dealt to dk as physical damage, now the catch with this effect it that the % the skill should've reduced is taken from the damage pool the skill absorbed and dealt like a steel hurricane to all enemies 1 yard away from dk

example:

lets say as a dk your secret reserve got activated and then you used blood protection,while its active, blood protection started absorbing damage and then at the end of the effect it absorbed 1000 damage, lets say blood protection is level 1/4, at that level the skill reduce damage taken by 20%. then 80% of that 1000 will be dealt to dk which mean 800 damage, while the rest of 200 will be dealt to all enemies 1 yard around the character, now lets say the skill is 4/4, then 500 damage will be dealt to the dk while 500 damage will be dealt to all enemies 1 yard away from the dk, you get the idea.

its a somewhat complicated effect, but in my opinion really fascinating.

while reading this you might got the idea of both effect activating, while secret reserve is active, you activate saturation then blood protection for both blood pact and relocate damage effect. and yes! this could happen but it comes with a penalty, and it goes as following:

if blood protection is activated while under the effect of saturation and secret reserve, then blood protection will go on a 5min cooldown.

similar to necro and priest reviving skills, when blood protection is activated while under both effects it will go on a 5min cooldown.

this is the idea i came up with, its a really cool way to make skills work with each other to make a more powerful effect, and this sort of mechanic could be really cool if done with not just dk but all classes as well!

Edited by FakeUser

1 hour ago, FakeUser said:

now the key ingredient for it, is this skill

bpcut.png Blood Protection

a relatively straight forward skill, that reduces % of incoming damage against the character for the duration of the effect.

now the fun start when Blood Protection is used when the player is under the effect of...

s.PNG Saturation

when that happens, the combination of the 2 skills effect happen, and it goes as following:

when blood protection is used while under the effect of saturation, for the duration of blood protection, every time the character is hit, he/she will regain % of their max health as heal.

i call this effect Blood Pact, it work similar to druid healing barrier, but with the dk max health instead of damage received.

now this effect could get out of hand with how much tanks can reach in terms of max health, that's why the figures i was talking about regarding % health is around (0.5% - 1% - 1.5% - 2%) of max health as heal for the character

Basically a more complicated WD's skill

1 hour ago, FakeUser said:

ss.PNG Secret Reserve

secret reserve also work with blood protection, now this might seem crazy! but hear me out.

when blood protection is used while under the effect of secret reserve, all damage done to dk will be absorbed by blood protection, at the end of blood protection, all the damage that was absorbed will be dealt to the dk, however the damage that the skill reduced will be dealt to all enemies 1 yard away from the character.

i call this effect Relocate Damage, what happen is that blood protection will absorb all damage done to the dk and at the end of the skill all damage will be dealt to dk as physical damage, now the catch with this effect it that the % the skill should've reduced is taken from the damage pool the skill absorbed and dealt like a steel hurricane to all enemies 1 yard away from dk

example:

lets say as a dk your secret reserve got activated and then you used blood protection,while its active, blood protection started absorbing damage and then at the end of the effect it absorbed 1000 damage, lets say blood protection is level 1/4, at that level the skill reduce damage taken by 20%. then 80% of that 1000 will be dealt to dk which mean 800 damage, while the rest of 200 will be dealt to all enemies 1 yard around the character, now lets say the skill is 4/4, then 500 damage will be dealt to the dk while 500 damage will be dealt to all enemies 1 yard away from the dk, you get the idea.

its a somewhat complicated effect, but in my opinion really fascinating.

while reading this you might got the idea of both effect activating, while secret reserve is active, you activate saturation then blood protection for both blood pact and relocate damage effect. and yes! this could happen but it comes with a penalty, and it goes as following:

if blood protection is activated while under the effect of saturation and secret reserve, then blood protection will go on a 5min cooldown.

similar to necro and priest reviving skills, when blood protection is activated while under both effects it will go on a 5min cooldown.

Nice idea, but is better to just buff it instead.

I'd fly if they ever make this xd

Just one thing though - 

2 hours ago, FakeUser said:

% health is around (0.5% - 1% - 1.5% - 2%) of max health as heal for the character

Kinda too low; 0.5% health on a 8.7k dk is 43.5 more hps... which is extremely low. Triggering Saturation rn costs more. 

2 hours ago, Higgings said:

I'd fly if they ever make this xd

Just one thing though - 

Kinda too low; 0.5% health on a 8.7k dk is 43.5 more hps... which is extremely low. Triggering Saturation rn costs more. 

it is low, but you gotta understand that for the skill duration of 8 second any instance of damage that you receive will heal you that amount at level 1/4 of the skill, even if they deal 0 damage to you because of dark shield and armor, cuz the skill doesn't heal you from damage, but max health, i can't even imagine broken that would be in dungeons and so on, beside im not good with balance and numbers, just giving an idea xD

Edited by FakeUser

3 hours ago, FakeUser said:

it is low, but you gotta understand that for the skill duration of 8 second any instance of damage that you receive will heal you that amount at level 1/4 of the skill, even if they deal 0 damage to you because of dark shield and armor, cuz the skill doesn't heal you from damage, but max health, i can't even imagine broken that would be in dungeons and so on, beside im not good with balance and numbers, just giving an idea xD

Maybe I'd break it even more, but to me it would make sense if it was not HP based. I mean... wardens have got a passive skill which heals it 10% of their max hps every block, why my skill is broken if I put like 10% for 8 secs? 

35 minutes ago, Higgings said:

Maybe I'd break it even more, but to me it would make sense if it was not HP based. I mean... wardens have got a passive skill which heals it 10% of their max hps every block, why my skill is broken if I put like 10% for 8 secs? 

Wardens don't have DMG. 

Edited by Khrone

Just now, Khrone said:

Wardens don't have DMG. 

With damage or without, if you can't die you'll eventually solo anything you wish - sure, it will take like 4 days, but you'll still solo anything. 

Just now, Higgings said:

With damage or without, if you can't die you'll eventually solo anything you wish - sure, it will take like 4 days, but you'll still solo anything. 

That's a point.

And this imortallity of DK isn't a passive, so, yeah, it's possible

1 hour ago, Higgings said:

but to me it would make sense if it was not HP based

you might be right, i did it that why because both skills are related to health somewhat, both in name and effect, so i figured it would be a health related effect xD

1 hour ago, Higgings said:

wardens have got a passive skill which heals it 10% of their max hps every block, why my skill is broken if I put like 10% for 8 secs? 

lets not focus on numbers to much, and more on the effect, i am not the brightest when it come to it lmao

2 minutes ago, FakeUser said:

lets not focus on numbers to much, and more on the effect, i am not the brightest when it come to it lmao

My apologies. I always take ideas as they were already implemented in game and I try to make them balanced as more as possible. 

2 hours ago, Higgings said:

Because u would heal that amount of health at a higher rate that a warden would, u can base urself ln being always hitted and have tons of health (while warden have a 25% chance evry second to do it) 

But have it 1-1.5-2-2.5% hp would be better and can work a esponential skill and give space to new builds and class combos

Edited by lore

9 hours ago, FakeUser said:

if blood protection is activated while under the effect of saturation and secret reserve, then blood protection will go on a 5min cooldown

I would go for a 1 minute cooldown for saturation and 5minutes for secret reserve

But instead of increasing the cooldown the combo will have its own cooldown as a negative effect wich will block the combo from working

Wich would make space to new ways to have a fantastic team power (shaman + dk) 

1 hour ago, lore said:

I would go for a 1 minute cooldown for saturation and 5minutes for secret reserve

But instead of increasing the cooldown the combo will have its own cooldown as a negative effect wich will block the combo from working

Wich would make space to new ways to have a fantastic team power (shaman + dk) 

Yes! That a great way, my thought process was that if blood protection goes on a 5min cooldown then you will lose both blood pact and relocate damage for 5min which make you think twice before using that op combo of 3 skills