Thoughts on full Magic Death Knight

Like the Title says, Any idea about a full magic DK? Has anyone tried this?because death knight has a lot of magic skills in his arsenal.

It's kinda good to use, I use spear most of the time. So, magic goes well with my death call, better with health steal, same with steel hurricane but with good magic DMG, you can fight players with less magic armour,

But, remember dk is a tank, it doesn't need much DMG, that's the dmgers role,

But you can be a hybrid tank too which less tanky but beneficial for solo, in that case, you can squeeze out a little more DMG using magic.

seem there are a lot of people who are exploring the magic damage death knight build, and while yes death knight have 4 magical damage skills, and while yes they seem good, and yes you could technically go for a magical build, a lot of complication come with the build, personally i would love for magical damage oriented knight to be a reality but currently there are some major problems with the build.

exhibit A: it's accessibility.

magic damage come from accessories and weapon ( or at least that where you can get it for in our case TANKS ), and this play a big role on what you are trying to do, because as far as i know there are no rings that have magical damage and lets say block or health regen, or any other parameter that would be considered useful for a tank, same goes for cape and amulets, you can't have magic damage only from your weapon, and this bring us to the second part, weapon, now there are a lot of option to go for, either its a weapon with a physical damage as a main and magical as a sub like spears or physical maces, or a weapon with magical as a main and physical as a sub like 1h/2h magic maces, and to be honest the best option to go for here are spear or physical maces, because you can't afford to have low physical damage, you need to sacrifice lot of things to achieve your goal.

exhibit B: it's reliability.

this really is a simple as its is, how useful is magical damage knights, and how do they work in arena and with party's, as a tank your a required to be first and to take hits for the team, simply speaking magical damage is good for PvP and not so good for PvE

for PvP its good to have magical damage, to work well with sharp shadow and exhilaration of darkness and with the combination with blow of silence, you'd be a force to be reckoned with, however i do not recommend overdoing it with magical damage, 200~300 magical damage seem to be the sweet spot.

as for PvE, its actually a bad idea to go for magical damage, now what i am mean about in PvE, is dungeons and raid bosses, 80~90~200k bosses..etc, basically anything that would requires you to tank hits, from bosses or hords of enemy's, you would need your AoE skill, and while death call is a magical skill thats good for PvE, compared to steel hurricane damage, there isn't even a need to compare them, mostly death call is only used for its aggro.

at the end i really wish for devs  to explore magic death knight more, and make at an actual useful build, it would make an already great class even greater.

final advice: if you are planning to go magical, don't overdo it... it might backfire at you.

td;lr

for PvP: yes its good, for sharp shadow, exhilaration of darkness and blow of silence, thou don't add to much magical damage 200~300 magical damage is good enough.

for PvE: no its not good, you will need your point for defensive skills, all death knight magical skills are useless for PvE since most are single target skills, or deal low damage

Edited by Ogull

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/13/2020 at 3:28 PM, Ogull said:

td;lr at the bottom

(i understand i talk to much)

seem there are a lot of people who are exploring the magic damage death knight build, and while yes death knight have 4 magical damage skills, and while yes they seem good, and yes you could technically go for a magical build, a lot of complication come with the build, personally i would love for magical damage oriented knight to be a reality but currently there are some major problems with the build.

exhibit A: it's accessibility.

magic damage come from accessories and weapon ( or at least that where you can get it for in our case TANKS ), and this play a big role on what you are trying to do, because as far as i know there are no rings that have magical damage and lets say block or health regen, or any other parameter that would be considered useful for a tank, same goes for cape and amulets, you can't have magic damage only from your weapon, and this bring us to the second part, weapon, now there are a lot of option to go for, either its a weapon with a physical damage as a main and magical as a sub like spears or physical maces, or a weapon with magical as a main and physical as a sub like 1h/2h magic maces, and to be honest the best option to go for here are spear or physical maces, because you can't afford to have low physical damage, you need to sacrifice lot of things to achieve your goal.

exhibit B: it's reliability.

this really is a simple as its is, how useful is magical damage knights, and how do they work in arena and with party's, as a tank your a required to be first and to take hits for the team, simply speaking magical damage is good for PvP and not so good for PvE

for PvP its good to have magical damage, to work well with sharp shadow and exhilaration of darkness and with the combination with blow of silence, you'd be a force to be reckoned with, however i do not recommend overdoing it with magical damage, 200~300 magical damage seem to be the sweet spot.

as for PvE, its actually a bad idea to go for magical damage, now what i am mean about in PvE, is dungeons and raid bosses, 80~90~200k bosses..etc, basically anything that would requires you to tank hits, from bosses or hords of enemy's, you would need your AoE skill, and while death call is a magical skill thats good for PvE, compared to steel hurricane damage, there isn't even a need to compare them, mostly death call is only used for its aggro.

at the end i really wish for devs  to explore magic death knight more, and make at an actual useful build, it would make an already great class even greater.

final advice: if you are planning to go magical, don't overdo it... it might backfire at you.

td;lr

for PvP: yes its good, for sharp shadow, exhilaration of darkness and blow of silence, thou don't add to much magical damage 200~300 magical damage is good enough.

for PvE: no its not good, you will need your point for defensive skills, all death knight magical skills are useless for PvE since most are single target skills, or deal low damage

I actually agree with pvp but disagree with pve ,🤔 I only got magic stuff because it was much cheaper and it's fairly useful

8 hours ago, Drakoknight said:

I actually agree with pvp but disagree with pve ,🤔 I only got magic stuff because it was much cheaper and it's fairly useful

buying magical items because they are what you could your hand on is different from buying them because they are the correct thing to buy.

surly anything you equip will be useful but you will start to notice the different once you go into late game content

2 hours ago, Ogull said:

buying magical items because they are what you could your hand on is different from buying them because they are the correct thing to buy.

surly anything you equip will be useful but you will start to notice the different once you go into late game content

I am level 28 and I would love to be a full physical dk but the items required is extremely expensive to the point it's extortion. Almost 50k for a physical ring