DeathKnight - From Zero to Hero! [Higgings - EU-EMERALD]

Higgings

I know that i'm noob (still LV 18 and Magical DK), but here are my suggestions:

Exhalation of Darkness: 

• 1st: Increase the buff duration to 6-8 seconds (in any level of the skill or increasing according to the skill level).
  • 2nd: Make it 2 separate buffs: The first one causes Stun to the enemy and lasts 4s, the second one lasts 8-10s and deals Magical Damage on the next hit.
  • 3rd: Full rework: Increase the duration and the cooldown too to make it balanced.  Increases Accuracy only for basic attacks and/or Attack Speed, bewitches the weapon to deal Magical Damage on the next hits with a chance of causing Stun.                       I don't like this, but it's an option.

Steel Hurricane:

• 1st: Give it another effect besides damage. Right now, the ONLY effect of this skill is dealing damage around the character, but Knight's Curse is a lot better (deals a lot more damage) and even has one more effect (increases damage caused to the target). It could be anything, like the skill has increased Penetration, it pulls enemies (like Templar's basic skill), anything.
  • 2nd: Make it deal both damage types. The skill would deal 2 hits, one dealing 120% of the Physical Damage of the character and the other dealing 120% of the Magical Damage. That still looks weak but you know, better than nothing.
  • 3rd: Make it deal part of the sum of the character's Magical and Physical Damage as true damage. There isn't any skill on the game (iirc) that ignores 100% of the enemy's defense, but to make it a balanced skill, decreases a lot the % of the damage (like 50% of the PDMG + 50% of the MDMG or even less). I don't like this option too much because it looks broken, also, DK is a tank, not a damager. 
  • 4th: Increasing the % of damage. Simple, right? Will it make the skill useful? Well, depends on the % of the damage caused, but i doubt that it will become better than Knight's Curse.

Saturation:

• 1st: Remove the HP cost. I don't know how to say it more clearly.
  • 2nd: Like Chieftain's Rugged Hide (and the Bear skill that i forgot the name), make it give 25% of Vampirism + a X% based on the lost HP (but no more than 50% since you can get Vampirism from equipments too).
  • 3rd: Make it a constant skill, but instead of X mana/2s, it would cost a bit of HP each 2 seconds.
  • 4th: Make it cost HP according to the skill level, so you wouldn't use 10% HP already on 1/4.
  • 5th: Make it a passive. You permanently lose 10% of your HP but gets 25% Vampirism. Yes, that's cursed. And NO, i don't want it to happen.

Secret Reserves:

I don't use this skill and i don't intend to buy it so early, but here are my simple suggestions:

• 1st: Decrease its cooldown by at least 30 seconds or even 1 minute.
  • 2nd: Make the cooldown reset after dying, leaving arena, etc.

Blood Protection:

• 1st: Decrease its cooldown.
  • 2nd: Increase its duration.
  • 3rd: Besides decreasing damage, it would also give Cooldown Reduction depending on the lost HP (like 1% of cooldown for every 2% of HP lost at 4/4, idk) or just give CDR without being affected by the HP.
Edited by Khrone

Points 1 and 2 from Steel Hurricane are intriguing and interesting. I like the concept a lot.

I said enough of Saturation as well. Idk personally what else should be done in order to let them get that the HP cost of this skill is complete nonsense. 

19 minutes ago, Higgings said:

Points 1 and 2 from Steel Hurricane are intriguing and interesting. I like the concept a lot.

Since the DK doesn't have an AoE Control (they removed the Stun from Death Call), they could remove the Stun from Sharp Shadow and put it on Steel Hurricane, so:

SH = PvE > PvP

SS = PvP > PvE

19 minutes ago, Higgings said:

Idk personally what else should be done in order to let them get that the HP cost of this skill is complete nonsense. 

Let's completely rework it.

Saturation

HP cost: 10%

Heals 10% of the character's HP.

:troll_face1:

Edited by Khrone
lmao just changed "a" to "an"

7 minutes ago, Khrone said:

Since the DK doesn't have an AoE Control (they removed the Stun from Death Call), they could remove the Stun from Sharp Shadow and put it on Steel Hurricane, so:

I would disagree. Don't forget Sharp is a Ranged Skill after all.

Just now, Higgings said:

Don't forget Sharp is a Ranged Skill after all.

• 350% Magical Damage
  • 80% 3.5s Stun chance
  • Heals 50% of the damage dealt if used with Saturation
  • Ranged
  • 14s cooldown

Looks broken to me :piggy:

Also, why give the DK a "ranged" skill (because 3m is a joke) if it has a skill that pulls enemies? So you can use it if the enemy resist the Threads? 

1 hour ago, Khrone said:

I'm almost level 20 and i have 30K, should i get my 2° expert skill or new equipments?

Get experts first. Experts stay forever; equips do change. 

17 hours ago, Higgings said:

Get experts first. Experts stay forever; equips do change. 

So wich one should i buy? I bought Knight's Curse as the 1st skill

Edited by Khrone

I'm thinking ab buying Sharp Shadow, is it good? Does it have a high chance to deal damage or is it easily resisted lol

Edited by Khrone

1 hour ago, Khrone said:

I'm thinking ab buying Sharp Shadow, is it good? Does it have a high chance to deal damage or is it easily resisted lol

Great damage. Stuns can be resisted if enemy wears full christmas gear but overall awsome

1 hour ago, Drakoknight said:

Great damage. Stuns can be resisted if enemy wears full christmas gear but overall awsome

What ab PvE?

1 minute ago, Khrone said:

What ab PvE?

if you are looking for PvE damage then take steel hurricane since it now deal damage depending on your most prevailing damage type

20 hours ago, Khrone said:

So wich one should i buy? I bought Knight's Curse as the 1st skill

Hmm well, yea. I would've gone with Blood Protection. Try to give it a try.

Sharp Shadow, I'm using it also on PvE. Stunning little mobs sometimes helps. But if your aim is damage and you're still uncertain, go for Hurricane as @Ogull said.

45 minutes ago, Ogull said:

if you are looking for PvE damage then take steel hurricane since it now deal damage depending on your most prevailing damage type

29 minutes ago, Higgings said:

But if your aim is damage and you're still uncertain, go for Hurricane as @Ogull said.

But it deals so little damage, especially on 1/4 (70%, seriously? At least it has a short cooldown)

I mean, i would already have Knight's Curse 3/4, so maybe i could use Hurricane to finish the remaining enemies around me

But...

Since i'd have Curse 3/4, i would like to use Sharp Shadow as a single-target high damage skill (like Curse to kill weak enemies and Sharp Shadow to finish the tough ones), idk

The only single-target damage i have is the Exhalation + Thorns combo that almost everytime it's just "Thorns combo"

Also, there is the Stun chance. It's low on 1/4, but it's still a chance

Spoiler

at least higher than the chance of hitting Exhalation of Darkness

38 minutes ago, Higgings said:

I would've gone with Blood Protection.

I don't have so many defensive problems rn, Shield of Darkness can ignore almost all damage of the Map 4 T1 "blue crown" mobs, maybe i'll get it on lv 22

Ok, so on lv 20, my DK would have 299 Phys. DMG and 237 Mag. DMG

If i bought Steel Hurricane, it would deal 209 damage in an area around me each 14s

If i bought Sharp Shadow, it would deal 472 to only one target with a chance of stunning it (i think the chance is 35%, idk) each 14s, also the skill is ranged

Wich one should i buy?

Edited by Khrone

1 hour ago, Khrone said:

Ok, so on lv 20, my DK would have 299 Phys. DMG and 237 Mag. DMG

If i bought Steel Hurricane, it would deal 209 damage in an area around me each 14s

If i bought Sharp Shadow, it would deal 472 to only one target with a chance of stunning it (i think the chance is 35%, idk) each 14s, also the skill is ranged

Wich one should i buy?

if this gonna give better idea on what you want, this is a video with a 1500 magical damage death knight

1 hour ago, Khrone said:

Wich one should i buy?

actually now that i think about it, maybe getting aura of hatred would be the best option, its boost damage increasing your curse damage(or any other skill you get later) as well as boost your defense, all in all a great skill if you gonna max it

Edited by Ogull

15 hours ago, Ogull said:

if this gonna give better idea on what you want, this is a video with a 1500 magical damage death knight

Guild stats such as critical dmg makes it more than just op also. Or else you wouldn't be landing that much dmg. Lol.  Still an awesome skill 

• 4 weeks later...

What is better for a Magical DK?

• Heavy Armor
  • Light Armor with Critical Hit and Cooldown
  • Light Armor with Critical Hit and Penetration

21 minutes ago, Khrone said:

What is better for a Magical DK?

• Heavy Armor
  • Light Armor with Critical Hit and Cooldown
  • Light Armor with Critical Hit and Penetration

The 2nd choice is intriguing. Though, more CD equals more Energy Regen needed. 

45 minutes ago, Higgings said:

The 2nd choice is intriguing. Though, more CD equals more Energy Regen needed. 

I wish Paladin and Death Knight had any energy regeneration skill for the Magical Damage build like the other true MDMG classes, even though mana is a smaller problem for these 2 classes  :hopeless:

Note: It's funny how armor sets with Cooldown Reduction have no Mana Regeneration on the boots :teehee-crazy-rabbit-emoticon:

Edited by Khrone

So... i tried to make my future DK on the Warspear Calculator 

Spoiler

Right now, i have:

• LV 28 Magical 2H Mace with Critical Hit and Vampirism (Median Night)
  • LV 28 Cloak with Magical Damage, Mana Regeneration (Spring) and Cooldown Reduction
  • LV 28 Necklace with Magical Damage, HP and Cooldown Reduction (Spring)
  • LV 26 Ring (only one) with Magical Damage, Mana and Accuracy (Craft)

And it seems like i accidentaly got 40% Critical Hit, 100+ Mana Regeneration and 8K Physical Defense.

Khrone's Future Death Knight

Note: The Runes and Crystals aren't even crited.

However, it has low Penetration.

Edited by Khrone

12 minutes ago, Khrone said:

So... i tried to make my future DK on the Warspear Calculator 

Reveal hidden contents

Right now, i have:

• LV 28 Magical 2H Mace with Critical Hit and Vampirism (Median Night)
  • LV 28 Cloak with Magical Damage, Mana Regeneration (Spring) and Cooldown Reduction
  • LV 28 Necklace with Magical Damage, HP and Cooldown Reduction (Spring)
  • LV 26 Ring (only one) with Magical Damage, Mana and Accuracy (Craft)

And it seems like i accidentaly got 40% Critical Hit, 100+ Mana Regeneration and 8K Physical Defense.

Khrone's Future Death Knight

Note: The Runes and Crystals aren't even crited.

However, it has low Penetration.

Penetration is good enough. Defensive stats are quite bad though, ngl. But if you are supposed to deal dmg only, then this shall not be a problem. It can't definitely tank anything. 

1 hour ago, Higgings said:

Penetration is good enough. Defensive stats are quite bad though, ngl. But if you are supposed to deal dmg only, then this shall not be a problem. It can't definitely tank anything. 

https://wsdb.xyz/calc/pt/303786

See if this construction is good, I intend to leave my death knight like that, a lot of magic damage, defense and life steal, if you use aura of hatred it gets 40% robustness.
With the magic damage, life steal and critical, it has a good regeneration, with physical defense and robustness, it has a good defense, at t5 you may have some difficulty because of hydrophobia, but if you have the talents and lasting defense, you should be able to turn solo, apart from that magic dk is very useful in gvg and war.

8 minutes ago, AntraxXL said:

https://wsdb.xyz/calc/pt/303786

See if this construction is good, I intend to leave my death knight like that, a lot of magic damage, defense and life steal, if you use aura of hatred it gets 40% robustness.
With the magic damage, life steal and critical, it has a good regeneration, with physical defense and robustness, it has a good defense, at t5 you may have some difficulty because of hydrophobia, but if you have the talents and lasting defense, you should be able to turn solo, apart from that magic dk is very useful in gvg and war.

Tanking T5 without a shield... You're brave :christmascandy:

But i think it's possible

Spoiler

Maybe

Edited by Khrone

Am i the only one who thinks that a Health Regeneration-based skill (Secret Reserves) matches more the Barbarian while a skill that makes (or used to make) the character invincible for some time after they get into a critical level of health (Last Wish) matches more the Death Knight?

8 minutes ago, Khrone said:

Am i the only one who thinks that a Health Regeneration-based skill (Secret Reserves) matches more the Barbarian while a skill that makes (or used to make) the character invincible for some time after they get into a critical level of health (Last Wish) matches more the Death Knight?

Not exactly last wish but could be cool if they had an ability that revived them after dying but with a debuff that drains their health rapidly, and if they kill someone the debuff disappears. (would obviously have a long cooldown)

Edited by rafa9876

1 hour ago, rafa9876 said:

Not exactly last wish but could be cool if they had an ability that revived them after dying but with a debuff that drains their health rapidly, and if they kill someone the debuff disappears. (would obviously have a long cooldown)

Another skill that drains character's health  :piggy: 

Both the enemy and the skill would try to kill you

I'd make it "revive" the player but they would take increased damage for some time until they deal a certain amount of damage or until the debuff is over.

Something like that:

Bonus: You can choose a name!

Type: Passive

When the Health Points drops to 1, restores part of it but increases damage received for some time.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals a certain amount of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

The effect can be activated no more than once every 120 seconds.

Doesn't work on Arena.

1/4:

Spoiler

Restores 25% HP but increases damage received by 75% during 120 seconds.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals 400% of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

2/4: 

Spoiler

Restores 33% HP but increases damage received by 70% during 100 seconds.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals 350% of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

3/4:

Spoiler

Restores 40% HP but increases damage received by 65% during 80 seconds.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals 300% of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

4/4: 

Spoiler

Restores 49% HP but increases damage received by 60% during 60 seconds.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals 250% of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

What do you think?

Edited by Khrone

10 hours ago, Khrone said:

What do you think?

DK's biggest problem is the lack of reliable defensive skills... don't make him more squishy than he already is. 

Moreover, there are far more broken skills existing which can be used in arena. This one doesn't seem to be strong enough not to let it use. (120 secs as cooldown is an eternity in PvP) 

10 hours ago, Khrone said:

Another skill that drains character's health  :piggy: 

Both the enemy and the skill would try to kill you

I'd make it "revive" the player but they would take increased damage for some time until they deal a certain amount of damage or until the debuff is over.

Something like that:

Bonus: You can choose a name!

Type: Passive

When the Health Points drops to 1, restores part of it but increases damage received for some time.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals a certain amount of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

The effect can be activated no more than once every 120 seconds.

Doesn't work on Arena.

1/4:

Hide contents

Restores 25% HP but increases damage received by 75% during 120 seconds.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals 400% of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

2/4: 

Hide contents

Restores 33% HP but increases damage received by 70% during 100 seconds.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals 350% of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

3/4:

Hide contents

Restores 40% HP but increases damage received by 65% during 80 seconds.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals 300% of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

4/4: 

Hide contents

Restores 49% HP but increases damage received by 60% during 60 seconds.

The debuff can be removed earlier if the character deals 250% of the sum of its physical and magical damage.

What do you think?

Horrible idea

3 hours ago, Higgings said:

Moreover, there are far more broken skills existing which can be used in arena. This one doesn't seem to be strong enough not to let it use. (120 secs as cooldown is an eternity in PvP) 

It is a literal self-revive tho

However, Druid has Patronage of the Forest, so...

I just think a "self-revive" skill should have another extra effect besides just "reviving" else it would be broken

But there are other similar skills like Barbarian's Last Wish that does work on Arena and he also has a healing skill (25% HP lol) or Paladin's Sacred Shield that is a second HP bar.

What about just healing 12-24-36-48% of the HP without any drawbacks?

Depending on the situation, healing 12% of the HP is just delaying the death, and 48% is reasonable, considering you would need to put it 4/4.

Spoiler

In my opinion, that's how Secret Reserves should work, because really, who cares about Health Regeneration?

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Khrone said:

After all this time, i came here to ask if it is possible to make a 2h weapon tank DK

My own DK currently uses a 2h magic hammer. Magic damage build works against anything which does not ignore the damage completely.

14 minutes ago, Higgings said:

My own DK currently uses a 2h magic hammer. Magic damage build works against anything which does not ignore the damage completely.

What would be the build?

6 hours ago, Khrone said:

What would be the build?

Long story short, max everything magic damage related. Priority to Sharp Shadow and Curse of Death. Combined with Saturation (even at 1/4) you would see a nice result. 

3 hours ago, Higgings said:

Long story short, max everything magic damage related. Priority to Sharp Shadow and Curse of Death. Combined with Saturation (even at 1/4) you would see a nice result. 

Do you think Secret Reserves is necessary, at least in 1/4?

Edited by Khrone

2 hours ago, Khrone said:

Do you think Secret Reserves is necessary, at least in 1/4?

Reserves is a meh skill in PvE. It surely helps in certain builds, but it relies entirely on a statistic which can be set mainly on gears. Magic Damage build relies on Life Steal rather than HP regen, thus replacing these runes with the HP ones might not be the best idea ever. This sentence comes from my personal experience.

21 minutes ago, Higgings said:

Reserves is a meh skill in PvE. It surely helps in certain builds, but it relies entirely on a statistic which can be set mainly on gears. Magic Damage build relies on Life Steal rather than HP regen, thus replacing these runes with the HP ones might not be the best idea ever. This sentence comes from my personal experience.

ATM i'm at lv 26, is Dark Shield 5/5, Death Call 4/4 and Saturation 3/4 enough for tanking lol 

13 minutes ago, Khrone said:

ATM i'm at lv 26, is Dark Shield 5/5, Death Call 4/4 and Saturation 3/4 enough for tanking lol 

Unless you haven't got access to Vampirism Runes, this build is kinda ok, but I'd put some points on either Curse or Sharp Shadow (3/4 shall suffice until you reach a higher level). If you do have Vampirism Runes, remove the points from Saturation and put them somewhere else, preferably on one of the above mentioned skills.