The Barbarian's Arena Guide

Deltaman

The Barbarian's Arena Guide

Have you chosen the path of a Barbarian, and now want to fight for glory in the arena? Then this guide is for you. This guide contains helpful and good tips and tricks for both beginners and those who have been playing for a while. It covers almost everything you need to know to become a good arena Brbarian. Some of the information may also be of use to other classes, but the information is mostly comformal for Barbarians.

I have divided this guide into four sections

1. Introduction

2. Equipment and enhancing

3. Skills

4. How to act during a fight

1. Introduction

Going arena

Arena is an instance in which you and your teammates fight against an opponent team. To go arena you need an arena ticket, or a "free fight". The arena tickets can be bought for miracle coins in the miracle shop, or from other players. You automatically get "free fights" every few hours, but you can only stack up 5 at the time. If you got an arena ticket or a free fight, you can now go arena. To do so, press:

Menu > Arena

Опубликованное фото

A set of tickets

Now you can choose between three different types of arenas. 2x2, 3x3 and 5x5. In 2x2 you have one teammate and two opponents, in 3x3 you have two teammates and three opponents and in 5x5 you have four teammates and five opponents. You can go arena with a party consisting of members you chosen yourself, or with random teammates. If you make a party to go arena, make sure that everyone is in the same level group. The level groups are:

4-6

7-10

11-14

15-18

19-20

If anyone in the party isn't in the same lvl group as the others, you won't be able to go arena. Also make sure that your party contains the same amount of players that the arena type you want to go requires.

When you have gathered your party, or decided to go random you will be set in the arena queue. After a short period of waiting, unless you try going 5x5, you will be sent to an arena instance.

Arena maps

When you enter arena you will find yourself spawned on one out of several maps. The maps have different obstacles on them and the volcano map even got traps and portals.

The volcano map is, as you may know, very special and a pain for Barbarians. The volcano map consists of five small islands that are connected with portals. You can see how the portals work on the picture below. The volcano traps are activated after that you have stood on one of the island for a certain amount if time. When it is activated, it will deal damage to everyone at the island on which it is activated on. The reason why this is a pain for Barbarians is because of that they can't heal and the volcano can therefore easily drag 25% or more of your health before the real fight begun.

Опубликованное фото

The directions of the portals

Let the fight begin

So now, when you have learned the very basics and are in the arena, you just have to charge into the enemy and release your inner wrath upon them! When you are in the arena your goal is to kill the enemy team without dying. And when all members in one of the teams are dead, the other team wins.

Reward for your bravery

When the fight is over you will see a list over gained arena points,  damage dealt, health points healed and guild points gained if you went arena with your guildmates only. The guild points are used to strengthen your guild, but it doesn't have much to do with arena and therefore I won't discuss it here. Arena points is a kind of currency. You will get it both if you win or lose, but you will receive much more if you win. With the arena points you can buy equipment, minions, costumes, pots and damage and defence spheres. The arena point trader is located in the first city of each of the four starter maps, and in Irselnort in the first town of each side. The maximum amount of arena points that can be accumulated is 8000.

Опубликованное фото

The icon for arena points

The Tournament

There is also an arena tournament going on all the time. It is about collecting as much arena points as possible under the arena season. And the winner, the one who collected the most arena points, will get a good prize. Gathering those huge amounts of arena points needed to win the tournament is hard,  and if you are reaching for a place on the winners' stand, you must be ready to spend lots of tickets and time on it.

Being a Barbarian in the arena

Опубликованное фото

The Barbarian's statuses

This is the official description of how the Barbarian statuses are specified. But I would like to say that the defence bonus isn't that much bigger for the Barbarian than the other classes. But it would rather be the damage which makes the Barbarian good. The Barbarian's skills are ok, but aren't too good. But if you go pro, you can still quickly deal insane amounts of damage during a fight.   

Опубликованное фото

The damage i dealt during a fight

2. Equipment and enhancing

A thing that is very important for you if you want to become a good Barbarian in arena, is to use the right equipment with the right enchantments.

Equipment

First of, I will tell you which equipment the Barbarian can use. As all the other classes they can wear a helmet, a chest armor, a pair of gloves, a pair of boots, a cape, an amulet, a belt, a weapon and two rings. They also have seven passive skills that make it possible for a Barbarian to equip:

-Two-handed swords

-Two-handed axes

-Shields

-One-handed axes

-One-handed swords

-Lightweight armor

-Heavy armor

Опубликованное фотоОпубликованное фото

The passive equipment skills

So the first question is: "What kinds of weapons should I use?

And the answer is: Two-handed swords, two-handed axes or two-handed weapons. The reason is that your skills will deal much more damage and you will more easily deal big damage counters with a two-handed weapon. The only exceptation is at lvl 4-6 arena where the Novice's Axe and Novice's Shield is better than other normal two-handed weapons in that lvl group.

And then we have the second question: "What kind of armor should I equip?".

And the answer is: Heavy armor. The reason is that going with lightweight armor is to not use the Barbarian's full potential. You could kind of compare it to a rogue going with only one weapon.

Below is a list of the best arena equipment for Barbarians in each level group. There may be a few exceptions since there are for example event equipment that is better than the "normal" equipment. And I also presuppose that you reached the max level of that level group you are fighting in.

Equipment for different levels:

In level 4-6 arena:

Cape: Simple Magicial Cloak

Helmet: Novice's Mail Helm

Amulet: Simple Amulet

Weapon: Novice's Axe

Chest armor: Novice's Mail Armor

Shield: Novice's Shield

Belt: Girdle of Beginner Fighter

Gloves: Gauntlets of Beginner Fighter

Rings: Simple Ring of Resistance x2

Boots: Mail Boots of Beginner Fighter

In level 7-10 arena:

Cape: Cloak of Master

Helmet: Tempered Heaume

Amulet: Archer's Amulet

Weapon: Balanced Battle axe

Chest armor: Mail of Beginner Fighter

Shield: None

Belt: Durable Belt of Beginner Fighter

Gloves: Tempered Vambraces

Rings: Ring of Toughness x2

Boots: Mail Treads

In level 11-14 arena:

Cape: Hard-wearing Cloak/ Light Mantle

Helmet: Headgear of Young Fighter

Amulet: High-standard Medallion

Weapon: Cloistered Pollaxe/ Acute Claymore

Chest armor: Mail of Young Fighter

Belt: Wicker Girdle

Gloves: Firm Mail Gloves

Rings: Qualitative Signet-ring x2

Boots: Heavy High Boots of Young Fighter

In level 15-18 arena and level 19-20 arena:

Cape: Abyss Zealot's cape

Helmet: Champion Heaume

Amulet: Medallion of Inward Power

Weapon: Champion Estoc

Chest armor: Champion Plate Armor

Belt: Champion Girdle

Gloves: Champion Gauntlets

Rings: Abyss Zealot's Carved Signet x2

Boots: Champion Treads

Page 1 out of 3

Enhancing

Another very, very important thing is to enhance your equipment. There are two different ways to enhance your equipment. By amplifying it with spheres, or enchanting it with runes and crystals. Which crystals and runes you should enchant your equipment with can you see in the "Enchanting table" section.

Enchanting

Each piece of equipment got one slot for a rune, and one slot for a crystal. When you enchant a piece of equipment, it gets the stat bonus the crystal or rune showed it would give. Runes and crystals can be gotten from daily chests, or from the miracle shop

Amplifying

Each piece of equipment can be from +0 to +10. To amplify your equipment, you need a certain amount of gold and a damage or defence sphere depending on if you are amplifying armour or weapons. The damage spheres can be used on weapons and when you succesfully amplified it, it's physical damage will be increased. It works the same with defence spheres for armour, but then you will instead increase the armour's defence. Now you can also amplify amulets and rings, and when you do so, you increase their magc defence. But amplifying is not always succesful, and if it fails you may loose the equipment piece you tried to amplify! To prevent that, you can use Signs of Imperishability. One is consumed each time you try amplifying and they are expensive. So you better only use them at the equipment you really don't want to loose. There are also two different types of each sphere. Sphere I, and Sphere II. The Sphere I can be used on equipment with level 1 to 11, and the Sphere II can be used on equipment with level 12 to 20.

Enchanting table

There are several different crystals and runes which can be used on each piece of equipment. Below I give you a table depicting how you shoud enchant your equipment.

Cloak: Critical hit crystal, and parry rune

Helmet: Accuracy crystal, and physical defence rune

Amulet: Accuracy crystal, and health rune

Weapon: Physical damage crystal, and parry or dodge rune

Chest armor: Attack speed crystal, and resilence rune

Shield: Accuracy crystal, and block rune

Belt: Critical hit crystal, and resilience rune

Gloves: Accuracy crystal, and physical defence rune

Rings: Energy regeneration or penetration crystal, and health rune

Boots: Attack speed crystal, and resilience rune

page 2 out of 3

3. Skills

Skills are another very important element in the arena. The Barbarian's skills can hurt, weaken and control the enemy. Each skill can be studied from 1-5 by using skill points. The skill points are gotten after reaching each even level. But at level 12 and 20 you will receive two points instead of one. In the coming section I will discuss the skills and tell you which ones to study.

Passive skills

The mountain clan faction got one passive skill. It increases your maximum health with 4%, and increases your sun defence with 5%. You can't spend points in it.

Active skills and their pros and cons

Strong blow: The basic damage dealing skill for the barbarian. Can deal some nice damage but isn't an awseome skill. You should max it though.

+/- Deals damage

Опубликованное фото

Roar: Not very useful for damage reduction since the reduction is low with a short duration. Can break rogues' stealth skill. I wouldn't suggest that you invest points in this skill.

+Possible stealth break

+/- Reduces surrounding enemies' damage

Опубликованное фото

Taunt: Close to useless in arena. Can sometimes make it possible to escape or re-charge an enemy, but that only works against total beginners. No increasing effect with inxreasing skill level. Do NOT spend points on it.

+Possible escape or re-charge

-No increasing effect with level study in arena

-Otherwise totally useless

Опубликованное фото

Chop: Deals an ok amount of damage and got a great stagger effect on enemies. Effect can be stacked on one enemy. I suggest that you max it to deal good damage. Also keeps rogues from going stealth.

+Staggering effect

+Can be stacked

+/-Deals damage

Опубликованное фото

Charge: The Barbarian's best skill. Can bring you close to runners and kiters, and can also stun all kinds of enemies. The bad things with charge is that it may be hard to use in melee combat since it needs 2 yards and that the stun may fail. I suggest that you should max it so that it won't fail too often.

+Brings you close to runners and kiters

+May stun an enemy

-Fails too much

-Needs 2 yards distance

Опубликованное фото

Skill point distribution

Below follows a list of how you should distribute your skill points in each level group.             

Опубликованное фотоОпубликованное фотоОпубликованное фотоОпубликованное фотоОпубликованное фото

Level 4-6 arena:      3        1        1        1        2

Level 7-10 arena:    4        1        1        1        3

Level 11-14 arena:  5        1        1        1        5

Level 15-18 arena:  5        1        1        3        5

Level: 19-20 arena:  5        1        1        5        5

Note! If you still think that roar is better than chop, you can move a few points from chop to roar. But I wouldn't recommend you to do so.

4. How to act during a fight

Here to follow I will give you a few hints on how and when to use the different skills, who to attack first and how to do a re-charge for example. There are of course tons of other tips, but I can't write them all down. The rest you will have to find out yourself, or ask other Barbarians as me.

How to target and use skills: To attack or target an enemy in arena, you click on them. To use a skill in arena you press on the hotkey icon and if needed then target an enemy. If you already targeted an enemy you can just click on the hotkey icon.

Using Strong Blow: Use it against the enemy you are attacking as soon as the cooldown is finished.

Using Roar: Use it when you got enemies around you, or when you think stealthing rogues are somewhere close to you. If you got low energy regeneration, you shouldn't use it too often.

Using Taunt: Use it againts an enemy who are attacking you if you want to escape or perform a re-charge. To do so, taunt the enemy and then run away. Then keep running if you are escaping or use charge against the enemy if you want to stun him. May not work if the enemy is observant. Don't use if you need to save energy.

Using chop: Use it against the enemy you are attacking as soon as the cooldown is finished. If the enemy is really low on health and you have a killing swing prepared, you should save the chop skill for your next target.

Using charge: Use it as your initiating skill. Press the icon, go towards the enemy and then use it against the enemy you decided to attack. Later in battle you should use it as soon as you can when you have opportunity to.

Attacking and targeting right: When the arena fight starts, it is very important that you start killing the right class. Classes with control skills and healing skills should be taken out first. Those classes are: Mage, priest, druid, shaman, necromancer and warlock. If you kill them fast, they won't be able to heal allies and control you as long as they would be able to if you let them live. After those are taken out you should go for: Rangers and Rogues. Lastly you should kill Blade Dancers, other Barbarians, Paladins and Death Knights.

Another important thing is that you and your teammates should attack the same enemy. So be sure to see who your teammates attack. In the start of the fight you should check what classes your enemies are. Then you can decide which enemy is best to kill first and then say the class name or character name of that enemy in area chat so that your teammates will attack the same enemy as you. It is also very important that you target/attack the right enemy quickly. So right after your current target is dead, you should instantly decide which enemy to kill next and attack him.

Note! If there are rogues or necromancers in your team, you should be aware of when they use their sleeping skills. Because you should never attack a sleeping enemy since you then will brake the stun.

Waking strategically: Walking right in relation to your teammates is important too. You should always stay relatively close to your teammates so that you don't rush straight into the enemy team trying to kill them alone. If you do so, you will be killed in a few seconds for sure. But if you are facing enemies with AoE skills, as shaman, mage, warlock and paladin, you should keep distance to your teammates so that all of you don't get caught in a single skill.

And now, when you are prepared for fight, go to the arena and show your enemies the rage....of....a.....Barbarian!

Page 3 out of 3

Nope.

And Mr.X, could you please modify the two first replies with "." or something instead of the actual reply so that my guide looks more like one guide? Please. I wasn't posting my "work in progress" replies fast enough. :lol:

And Mr.X, could you please modify the two first replies with "." or something instead of the actual reply so that my guide looks more like one guide? Please. I wasn't posting my "work in progress" replies fast enough. :lol:

Ok np :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  , if u want to show them in the text you can use this "Add image to post" up or http://photobucket.com/ / http://www.tinypic.com/

Great and detailed guide :good:  Here's some of my opinions though.

I think that light armor can be Very (with a capital V) effective on melee classes other than just rogue (Since they can't equip anything else other than light armors of course xD). I wouldn't recommend other light armors other than cc (though in cc shop the heavy armors are pretty much with the same stats than light armor so check what stats you want first because if heavy armor has the same stuff than light armor it's not worth getting light armor since you will get more defence from heavy armor) and kw though.

Also i wouldnt recommend Champion Broadaxe since it's missing accuracy and it's replaced with penetration which is not nearly as good as accuracy. Also going for high attack speed  with for example full killing whisper and Spadone of Sudden doom is a really good combination, you will be dealing massive amount of damage during your charge stun if it stuns since you might be able to get in Strong blow and 2 normal hits if going with attack speed based build.

Just my opinion. Also cannot say for sure whether you will be able to get those 2 normal hits in since i don't have barbarian with kw and sd spadone (i do have lvl14 arena barbarian which i will be levelling at somepoint), but for what i've seen from frosty's pvp's and other fights i would say that's a real possibility since sd spadone is very pew pew:ish. Also if going with partners i would say high accuracy critical and attack speed because your partners should know how to stun the enemy and more damage is more profit. Tanky build is not always the best.

Once again these are my own opinions so no need to hate on me 'kay :blush:  Just offered some of  my tips. Well if you bothered reading all this text.

Great and detailed guide :good:  Here's some of my opinions though.

I think that light armor can be Very (with a capital V) effective on melee classes other than just rogue (Since they can't equip anything else other than light armors of course xD). I wouldn't recommend other light armors other than cc (though in cc shop the heavy armors are pretty much with the same stats than light armor so check what stats you want first because if heavy armor has the same stuff than light armor it's not worth getting light armor since you will get more defence from heavy armor) and kw though.

Also i wouldnt recommend Champion Broadaxe since it's missing accuracy and it's replaced with penetration which is not nearly as good as accuracy. Also going for high attack speed  with for example full killing whisper and Spadone of Sudden doom is a really good combination, you will be dealing massive amount of damage during your charge stun if it stuns since you might be able to get in Strong blow and 2 normal hits if going with attack speed based build.

Just my opinion. Also cannot say for sure whether you will be able to get those 2 normal hits in since i don't have barbarian with kw and sd spadone (i do have lvl14 arena barbarian which i will be levelling at somepoint), but for what i've seen from frosty's pvp's and other fights i would say that's a real possibility since sd spadone is very pew pew:ish. Also if going with partners i would say high accuracy critical and attack speed because your partners should know how to stun the enemy and more damage is more profit. Tanky build is not always the best.

Once again these are my own opinions so no need to hate on me 'kay :blush:  Just offered some of  my tips. Well if you bothered reading all this text.

First of, I love reading (And writing) long texts.

1. Maybe. But if you take for example the arena gear, the stats are identical between the light and heavy armor. I don't know the stat on every piece of equipment, but what I know heavy is better than light. I may be wrong, btu then I wanna see some proof. :spiteful:

2. Yes, I know it is better going with accuracy than pene. I use the 2h arena sword myself because of accu. Idk, I just added it because some people think it is better. :wacko:

3. If you got maybe 10 atk speed, you will deal 11 hits on the time u normally deal 10. So I don't think you really will be able to deal more hits during the charge stun. And resilience is the best stat in arena, and I woudn't recommend you sacrificing it for dmg stats. You will most often get hit by your opponents so you better defend yourself. Your teammates can't stun the enemy all the time. :lol:

And tnx for the positive feedback. :)

Great job,everything in so details about the clumsy class i thought guess i was wrong...I like that skill build..

Tnx  :drinks:

i can see the pictures too.. ;)

Great job,everything in so details about the clumsy class i thought guess i was wrong...I like that skill build..

i can see the pictures too.. ;)

Great! :yahoo:

best guide for barbarian. it is my 2nd oldest nd my most played hero class....played in 7-10 arena for olmost a 2 years...

I must say I alwayz thought chop was better dan charge....as such it's only at 2 while my chop is at 4....:-! :-(

hw should I compensate for dat. I'm currently LVL14 n play solely for arena.

best guide for barbarian. it is my 2nd oldest nd my most played hero class....played in 7-10 arena for olmost a 2 years...

I must say I alwayz thought chop was better dan charge....as such it's only at 2 while my chop is at 4....:-! :-(

hw should I compensate for dat. I'm currently LVL14 n play solely for arena.

Thx  :)

The stun on charge I think is great. But it fails alot and therefore you should try to get it up. But I guess having chop at 4 might do it too. If you want, ypu could always use a Book of Oblivion.